Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Cats 

Rate This Film
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Cats 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Cats

Quote:
Cats is an upcoming 2019 musical fantasy comedy-drama film based on the stage musical of the same name by Andrew Lloyd Webber, which in turn was based on the 1939 poetry collection Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T. S. Eliot, one of Lloyd Webber's favourite books. The film is directed by Tom Hooper—in his second feature musical following 2012's Les Misérables—from a screenplay by Lee Hall and Hooper and stars an ensemble cast, including James Corden, Judi Dench, Jason Derulo, Idris Elba, Jennifer Hudson, Ian McKellen, Taylor Swift, Rebel Wilson, and introduces Francesca Hayward in her first feature-length film role. As of 2019, the namesake megamusical stage production remains the fourth-longest-running Broadway show and the sixth-longest-running London show in history.

Cats is scheduled for release on December 20, 2019, by Universal Pictures.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:59 am
Hold the door!

Post Re: Cats
This was really interesting. It’s not a good movie, but it’s mainly interesting in just how strange and trippy it is. It’s a little slow in the middle but it picks up at Skimbleshanks and remains interesting after that. Songs are mostly good, wasn’t a fan of Rum Tum Tugger or Gus the Theatre cat.

B

Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:18 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I don't even know how to grade this. It's truly baffling but also kind of unforgettable and hilarious? It's definitely a future cult classic.

Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:35 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

Has anyone seen the play here? How does this compare to the play? I have never seen the play but this was AWFUL and if the play is similar I don't understand how it is such a smash.

Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:14 am
Hold the door!

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Has anyone seen the play here? How does this compare to the play? I have never seen the play but this was AWFUL and if the play is similar I don't understand how it is such a smash.

I’ve not seen the play but I was familiar with the cast recording before seeing the film. It’s very similar other than the removal of one song and some verses from others, the addition of the Beautiful ghosts song, and in the play Macavity only kidnaps Old Deuteronomy, none of the other cats.

The reason it’s so weird is because the song’s were written first, as it’s based on a book of standalone poems about cats that Eliot had encountered in his life. The contest to be reborn was a loose plot shoehorned in once Webber realized a bunch of scenes of unrelated Cats might bore audiences.

I think it was mainly successful because of its spectacle, family friendliness, and soundtrack that people were already familiar with as Webber released his shows as concept albums before they opened. Also Cats has always been popular for its song and dance numbers, which were poorly directed in this movie.

Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:10 am
Top Poster

saw the play in Hollywood Pantages (so not Broadway) many years ago, recall really disliking and beyond bored by the musical

the movie was better (I'd give it a C), a few more interesting visuals and stuff going on, but the source material was just too weak to be improved much on.

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:30 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]