Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Dark Waters 

Rate this film:
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Dark Waters 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Dark Waters
Quote:
Dark Waters is a 2019 American legal thriller film directed by Todd Haynes and written by Mario Correa and Matthew Michael Carnahan. It is based on the 2016 article "The Lawyer Who Became DuPont's Worst Nightmare" by Nathaniel Rich, published in The New York Times Magazine. Parts of the story were also reported by Mariah Blake, whose 2015 article, "Welcome to Beautiful Parkersburg, West Virginia" was a National Magazine Award finalist, and Sharon Lerner, whose series "Bad Chemistry" ran in the Intercept. Robert Bilott, the principal character in the film, also wrote a memoir, Exposure, detailing his 20-year legal battle against DuPont. The film stars Mark Ruffalo, Anne Hathaway, Tim Robbins, Victor Garber, Mare Winningham, William Jackson Harper, and Bill Pullman.

Dark Waters was theatrically released in a limited capacity on November 22, 2019, by Focus Features, and went wide on December 6, 2019. The film received positive reviews from critics and has grossed $6 million.

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:09 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Dark Waters
Well-made and performed, but tremendously dull.

Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:02 pm
Profile YIM
Keeping it Light

I always find these little man vs. the big man stories interesting and this film certainly is too. Ruffalo is really well cast for the role, it's a great drama about right and wrong and the impact of big industries on societies. It's quite similar as A Civil Action and I prefer that, Dark Waters is indeed a bit more dull than that, but I don't feel it's that much of a detraction. The stories of these pollution cases simply aren't that flashly and instead slow simmering atrocities which I'm glad a film like this brings to light. In the end it's just something like greed which brings people down and it's just commendable there's still also people that try to make things right. The film is a pretty great effort of telling this particular story and it makes my top 10 of last year.

A-

Mon May 11, 2020 2:33 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was a bit stretched at parts but I didn't find it boring. The movie flows quite naturally from one scene to another and Ruffalo does a very good job here. The real life story and its connection really needed this much time to connect really well. I do wish they had concentrated a little bit more on the second half of the scandal than the initial detective half. Other than its a tremendously made movie and among the best movies of last year which unfortunately went unnoticed.

Thu May 14, 2020 10:39 pm
Forum General

Yeah this was a really well made and acted drama/thriller. Ruffalo is really solid here and I really enjoyed Tim Robbins and Bill Pullman's performances. Anne Hathaway, Bill Camp and Victor Garber put in some good work too and while this story might not seem appealing or interesting to most I honestly always found it engaging. These kinds of stories always fascinated me as well, especially when these big companies are responsible for some heinous shit. Really sad that this went pretty much under the radar last year, but maybe it can find a decent sized audience now with all the crazy stuff going on.

B+

Sun May 17, 2020 11:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]