Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Cinderella Man 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 22 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
C 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 33

Cinderella Man 
College Boy Z

Post Cinderella Man
Cinderella Man

Quote:
Cinderella Man is a 2005 American drama film by Ron Howard, titled after the nickname of heavyweight boxing champion James J. Braddock and inspired by his life story. The film was produced by Howard, Penny Marshall, and Brian Grazer.

Last edited by zingy on Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 29, 2005 3:01 pm
Forum General

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun May 29, 2005 8:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
*waits for Goldie's review* :wink:

All 3 sneak preview theaters near me are sold out so I am going to have to wait for the weekend.

Sun May 29, 2005 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

thats it

Sun May 29, 2005 10:23 pm
Hot Fuss

I passed the theatre on my way out tonight as it was filling up. Decent croud.

Everyone in my family thinks this film looks like gold pressed latinum.

I think it looks ucky. Do we have to do these sappy Depression dramas with cheesy accents every year? :(

Sun May 29, 2005 10:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Sbil

Cinderella Man is a rousing, wonderfully made "inspirational" film. It succeeds at being enjoyable but not especially manipulative, which often befalls films of this nature. As with the last boxing film, Million Dollar Baby, the boxing scenes are brutal but tremendously well-edited and shot. It is impossible to be bored during any of Braddock's fights. The acting is impressive. Russell Crowe, one of Hollywood's best actors, is completely effective as Braddock. We see him as a loving father and husband, and we never have a hard time doubting it. As Braddock's wife Mae, Renee Zellweger is solid and contains some nice scenes, even though the character sometimes comes across as too cliched. Playing Braddock's manager, Paul Giamatti is wonderful and may finally actually earn an Oscar nomination. My only complaint with Cinderella Man is that the script borders on trite at times and many cliches are run through thick and thin. However, Ron Howard has the '30s Depression era down pat, and the film as a whole comes together marvelously. Highly recommended. A-

Sun May 29, 2005 11:17 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Cinderella Man is a rousing, wonderfully made "inspirational" film. It succeeds at being enjoyable but not especially manipulative, which often befalls films of this nature. As with the last boxing film, Million Dollar Baby, the boxing scenes are brutal but tremendously well-edited and shot. It is impossible to be bored during any of Braddock's fights. The acting is impressive. Russell Crowe, one of Hollywood's best actors, is completely effective as Braddock. We see him as a loving father and husband, and we never have a hard time doubting it. As Braddock's wife Mae, Renee Zellweger is solid and contains some nice scenes, even though the character sometimes comes across as too cliched. Playing Braddock's manager, Paul Giamatti is wonderful and may finally actually earn an Oscar nomination. My only complaint with Cinderella Man is that the script borders on trite at times and many cliches are run through thick and thin. However, Ron Howard has the '30s Depression era down pat, and the film as a whole comes together marvelously. Highly recommended. A-

Nice review. Glad that the praise keeps on coming for this movie.

Mon May 30, 2005 1:01 am
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

Cinderella Man is a pleasant film. It's good, it's not particularly god-awful in any way. It's unchallenging, and stable. All great things, if that's what you want out of it. "Crowd pleasing". Take that as a blessing or an insult. In a way it is both.

Indeed, I think there's enough room in Cinderella Man to fufill the expectations of the individuals who will see it. Me? I thought it would be a lot like Seabiscuit. And it pretty much is.

The film starts out in rather quick motion by jumping you into the center of Braddock's life and his happiness, and wealth as it spreads before the Great Depression. It jumps forward to 1933 and focuses on his career until his fight on June 13, 1935. Along the way we are treated to melodrama that is very, very typical for Ron Howard productions. Meaning, it's all very sad, and very sappy, but it's laid pretty sick. Literally, I don't think there is a scene after the opening with Renee Zellweger where she isn't on the verge of tears, except for briefly during the dinner scene near the end.

Russell Crowe is this generation's greatest actor, and he does nothing here to damage his reputation. Just another above average career for one of cinema's most reliable powerhouses. It's really great work here, but he's not the one driving things... No, if anybody deserves recognition it's Paul Giamatti who litterally drives this puppy from start to finish, he pushes for the bouts, he gives the film the levity that's sorely lacking, etc.

But in the end, it all is washed out by the mediocre script, full of Seabiscian (new word!) references to how "American is holding on for Braddock!" Really, I mean, AT LEAST if Seabiscuit lost, half the country could have held on to Braddock before plunging the knife into their skin!

Best line actually comes from Zellweger, in reference to the title of the film.

Skip the first 1/3 of the film, filled with over the top references to the Great Depression, needless scenes of people at their emotional rock bottoms surrounding all the characters at all times. OVERDONE! It also ends with the cliched "this is what happened" titles... bleh.

The 3rd fight in the movie contains emotional flashbacks that are basically vomit inducing but all the other fights are extremely well staged and show movement completely lacking in the rest of the film. Keep an eye out for the twice used, and very neat x-ray cam!

In the end, Cinerella Man is fine, but it's really nothing that we'll remember in a few years. I don't grade anymore. So you'll have to read what I wrote.

Quick note: Baer is Jewish, and clearly is in the movie, he's also, at various times made out to be an utter moralless monster, while Jim is propped up by his loving Irish heritage and the folks who cling to American ideals in Churchs. Let's face it... Baer is the villian. They also make big reference to show Jim's brave involvement in World War II. I wonder who is going to be the first news outlet to point out the... slight... anti-semitism in the film.

A note to Howard: Separate yourself from Akiva Goldsman.

Mon May 30, 2005 1:20 am
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

I'm waiting for loyal's review... he was the one who was so up on me to go see it.

Mon May 30, 2005 12:46 pm
Profile WWW

Cinderella Man Delivers KO

"I think all period pieces should star Russell Crowe. If you doin’ a movie about the past, you best get Russell’s ass. I don’t care if you making a movie about three weeks ago, you need to get Russell Crowe. He’ll do the research about three weeks ago, he’ll walk like three weeks ago, he’ll talk like three weeks ago, and you’ll close your eyes, and you’ll go “that sounds like three weeks ago!”

-Chris Rock's opening monologue at the 77th Annual Academy Awards

Despite being very funny, that statement by Chris Rock has been proven right yet again. Cinderella Man is the story of heavyweight boxer Jim Braddock, played brilliantly by Russell Crowe. Other actors may have played Braddock as a brute with a soul, but Crowe's performance is all soul, while never forgetting the beast within. Falling on hard times during the Great Depression, Braddock struggles to keep his family together. His three small children slowly freeze. His wife Mae (a surprisingly effective Renée Zellweger) adds water to the little milk they have left to keep up appearances for the children. A meal for the family is a single slice of bologna apiece. When Braddock's oldest son is caught stealing food for the family, I wondered why they couldn't discipline him and keep the food. What was at stake was truly life or death.

Doesn't sound much like a boxing film does it? Cinderella Man is as much about boxing as A Beautiful Mind is about algorithms. The two films happen to share the same bloodline. Both films starred Russell Crowe, both were directed by Ron Howard, both are based on real events, and both were written by Akiva Goldsman, with an co-writing credit here by Cliff Hollingsworth. Ron Howard has assembled the pefect team for Cinderella Man. From the score to the editing to the costumes, every part of the film works perfectly together. The boxing scenes, though few, are as good as any filmed in the history of the genre. As was the case with A Beautiful Mind, some critics will complain about the over sentimental nature of Cinderella Man. In a film such of this, that's a moot point. It's all about second chances and when Braddock climbs back into the ring, he makes the most of it. The film's title couldn't be more appropriate. This is the ultimate sports fairy tale.

Paul Giamatti as Braddock's manager and only friend Joe Gould adds the perfect amount of comic relief when needed. In one the most powerful scenes in Cinderella Man, Braddock broke and out of options returns to Madison Square Garden to ask for money. It's Gould who puts everything in perspective for Braddock. What we find out later about Gould's own situation during these tough financial times adds an entire new level to what could have a been an over the top caricature. Speaking of which, Craig Bierko as the Krameresque boxer/killer Max Baer is sure to be a point of contention. Bierko known almost exclusively as a comedic actor, plays Baer in an almost cartoon fashion. Not that it doesn't work. Max Baer was larger than life. But at times, Bierko needed to reign in the antics and make Baer a realistic antagonist for Braddock.

At a time of the year when Hollywood rolls out countless sequels and pointless comedies, it's refreshing to see a quality film. Cinderella Man is a tremendous success and Oscar attention is guaranteed. The performances are top notch, the direction is flawless, and the film does an incredible job transporting the audience back in time. If you want to see a film this summer that will make you laugh, cry, and feel inspired, Cinderella Man is a must see.

A

(Note: Comparsions are bound to be drawn between Cinderella Man and last year's Best Picture Oscar winner Million Dollar Baby. Though both films feature boxing, they are polar opposites.)

Mon May 30, 2005 12:54 pm
I'm waiting for loyal's review... he was the one who was so up on me to go see it.

I wanted you to become more personable.

Mon May 30, 2005 12:55 pm
Lord of filth

andaroo wrote:

I wanted you to become more personable.

Never gonna happen.

Mon May 30, 2005 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
So overall, I loved the film. Craig Bierko was the only "odd" thing about the film but after a few minutes, I let go.

Mon May 30, 2005 1:02 pm
Lord of filth

So overall, I loved the film. Craig Bierko was the only "odd" thing about the film but after a few minutes, I let go.

He's the scary Jew. Enemy to the God-loving, America-loving, Depression-starving Catholics. The Jews had all the money! :mad: :roll:

(I'm just saying!)

I didn't really like the subplot about Mikey, played by Paddy Considine. It had political connection into the world of the Great Depression that a director like Howard is unable to exploit, so they are left loose ends. I don't think he added anything at all to the boxing story, and everything he ended up adding to the Great Depression story was redundant, and encapsulated so much better in a few scenes with Braddock and his family. After his funeral, there is no mention of him again. *shrug*. I say axe this scene and a few scenes at the beginning and create a tighter picture.

By the way, little Ariel Waller who played Rosemarie Braddock is a little angel. She's so adorable. All the kids were good in this though.

Mon May 30, 2005 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon wrote:

He's the scary Jew. Enemy to the God-loving, America-loving, Depression-starving Catholics. The Jews had all the money! :mad: :roll:

(I'm just saying!)

I didn't really like the subplot about Mikey, played by Paddy Considine. It had political connection into the world of the Great Depression that a director like Howard is unable to exploit, so they are left loose ends. I don't think he added anything at all to the boxing story, and everything he ended up adding to the Great Depression story was redundant, and encapsulated so much better in a few scenes with Braddock and his family. After his funeral, there is no mention of him again. *shrug*. I say axe this scene and a few scenes at the beginning and create a tighter picture.

By the way, little Ariel Waller who played Rosemarie Braddock is a little angel. She's so adorable. All the kids were good in this though.

Bierko was rocking that jewfro.

Mike to me just seemed like someone to kill off. They needed to show the consequences of the times and Mike was a perfect fit. In the grand scheme of things, his role really wasn't necessary but I undertand why it was included.

I thought all the kids were great. The scene with the radio in the cellar was perfect.

Mon May 30, 2005 1:48 pm
Lord of filth

They needed to show the consequences of the times and Mike was a perfect fit.

They illustrated this perfectly with Howard (although not the "death angle") and I thought it actually fit the story.

Mon May 30, 2005 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Eh, so past the cheesy accents, it was actually good?

Hmm. I might give in and see it.

Mon May 30, 2005 5:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Lord of filth

You'll have to actually read what we wrote. I know, it's shocking :cry:

Mon May 30, 2005 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

The accents weren't cheesy as much as...what they would've actually sounded like? in New Jersey.

That's hardly a reason to avoid wanting to see it.

Mon May 30, 2005 5:11 pm
Lord of filth

This is Cinderella Man... Emoticon review.

1929: :box: =D> :Kiss: :Drink:

1933: :bruised: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle:

1934: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :candle: :cry: :cry: :cry: :box2: :bruised: :cry: :cry: :cry: :box: :Drink: :box2: :box: :box2:

1935: :flex: =D> :sad: :swear: :sad: :sad: :cry: :cry:

Day of the fight: :Kiss: =; [-X :Drink: :Kiss: :sad: :sad: [-o< :box2: :box2: :box: :box: :box: =D> =D> :mirrorbow: [-o< :Kiss:

THE END

Mon May 30, 2005 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

zach wrote:

The accents weren't cheesy as much as...what they would've actually sounded like? in New Jersey.

That's hardly a reason to avoid wanting to see it.

I dunno. Rene sounded cheap. And Paul G. gets on my nerves occasionally. Guess I just needed a movie to hate on. :oops:

Mon May 30, 2005 5:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Kypade

yeah, some of the accents were cheesy (or at least l didn't buy Giamatti's for a second).

and some of the editting was far too...quick, and...just quick, l guess.

and the ''he got america up and blah blah blah inspirational etc" aspect was also not very believable. (probably because they only showed like...three scenes that pointed towards any outside affect on the community, and even then only the close community...nothing of a national level.)

and even the family aspect was a little sparse...what there was of his interactions with the family, and such, was great, but it wasn't as common as it could have been.

But as a straight boxing/one man's story film, it was pretty much excellent. (and judging by the end note things - all about russels' character - i think this is the best way to take it.

and, as stated (l'm sure somewhere in here), the boxing scenes were amazing....that main last fight was probably the best l've personally seen, ever.

so, pretty much a very good film.

Mon May 30, 2005 9:42 pm
Forum General

1933: :bruised: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle:

1934: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :candle: :cry: :cry: :cry: :box2: :bruised: :cry: :cry: :cry: :box: :Drink: :box2: :box: :box2:

Day of the fight: :Kiss: =; [-X :Drink: :Kiss: :sad: :sad: [-o< :box2: :box2: :box: :box: :box: =D> =D> :mirrorbow: [-o< :Kiss:

THE END

As it looks like this is the ending

=D> =D> :mirrorbow: [-o< :Kiss:

I almost feeling like I don't have to see the movie.

Mon May 30, 2005 10:18 pm
Profile WWW

THE END

That's shockingly accurate.

Tue May 31, 2005 1:22 pm
Lord of filth

That's shockingly accurate.

I know... it's a bit frightening.

Could have probably used more :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Tue May 31, 2005 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next