Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Blow Out 

Grade?
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Blow Out 
now we know

Post Blow Out

Quote:
Blow Out is a 1981 American neo-noir political thriller film written and directed by Brian De Palma. The film stars John Travolta as Jack Terry, a movie sound effects technician from Philadelphia who, while recording sounds for a low-budget slasher film, serendipitously captures audio evidence of an assassination involving a presidential hopeful. Nancy Allen stars as Sally Bedina, a young woman involved in the crime. The supporting cast includes John Lithgow and Dennis Franz. The film's tagline in advertisements was, "Murder has a sound all of its own".

Wed May 08, 2019 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Blow Out
Wow. How come I never saw this before? Awesome film. Brian de Palma made an excellent political mystery thriller here, and the soundman perspective is a stroke of genius. I loved being in that world of making movies. It kind of reminded me of Peeping Tom but more Hitchcockian, and this is far gorier, thrilling, sexy, and artistically filmed. Some of the shots are so beautiful they could even make it on a film today.

Travolta is great as always, but Nancy Allen plays the dumb bimbo to perfection, and Lithgow is so good as the evil bastard. A role he perfected in Cliffhanger.

Wed May 08, 2019 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
Gamaur's sex slave

This is a sort of homage to Antonioni's 1966 Blow-Up, but using sound instead of images. But be careful, as Antonioni is an acquired taste, and he is not so much interested in story as in setting a mood and also showcase London during the swinging sixties.
You may also be interested in Coppola's The Conversation, Algren, although that one also has a peculiar pace.

Fri May 10, 2019 6:57 pm
now we know

I've had The Conversation downloaded for some time.

Fri May 10, 2019 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]