Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Mission: Impossible - Fallout 

Rate this film:
A 79%  79%  [ 11 ]
B 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

Mission: Impossible - Fallout 
Keeping it Light

Post Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Quote:
Mission: Impossible – Fallout is a 2018 American action spy film written, produced and directed by Christopher McQuarrie. It is the sixth installment in the Mission: Impossible film series, and the second film to be directed by McQuarrie after Rogue Nation (2015), making him the first person to direct more than one film in the franchise. The cast includes Tom Cruise, Ving Rhames, Simon Pegg, Rebecca Ferguson, Sean Harris, Michelle Monaghan and Alec Baldwin, all of whom reprise their roles from previous films, while Henry Cavill, Angela Bassett and Vanessa Kirby join the franchise.

Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:42 am
Romosexual!

Post Re: Mission: Impossible – Fallout
I’m about to see it in 30 minutes. Surprised no one here has seen it yet

Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:27 pm
The Kramer

I did. It’s fuckin awesome. Rob Hardy should win an oscar cause this movie has some of the best looking shots I’ve seen.

Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:51 pm
Pure Phase

A decent sequel, though any claim it instantly earns a place among the greatest action films ever made is wildly hyperbolic, in my opinion. The action sequences are gorgeously executed, their nearly unrivaled level of stunt prowess complemented by fluid and lustrous cinematography. They are also slightly dry in their perfection; always opting for the grandest framing, the most balletic stunt, etc. becomes so extravagant as to be wearying. For this reason, the most exciting sequence is the bathroom fight because it is the nastiest and most abrupt in how it erupts and resolves. At a supersized two-and-a-half-hours long, each minute more breathless and tightly wound the last, the film outstays its welcome; even as, "wow, what a shot!" and, "wow, what a stunt!" moments continue to pile atop one another, I was ready for it to end.

Tom Cruise is at maximum Tom Cruise, as he always is when he plays Ethan Hunt, and I, of course, marvel at his agility, his charisma, his willingness to test (and punish) his body to perform several of his own stunts, etc. But every new Mission: Impossible movie increases my nostalgia for his incredibly interesting period in the late 1990s and early 2000s: Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia, Vanilla Sky, The Last Samurai, Collateral, and Spielberg's post-9/11 science-fiction nightmares (Minority Report, War of the Worlds). This particular film also becomes rather cringe-inducing when it tries to (hard) sell Hunt as this hyper-noble quasi-superhero: everyone feels safer when they know he is watching the world, etc., etc. Gag.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:38 pm
The Kramer

I felt that way about Rogue Nation, and lost interest after they leave Morocco. This had me hooked all the way through, everytime I starting feeling otherwise there’d be another beautiful scenic shot and another exciting action sequence and another great piece of music adding to the near relentless tension. And along with the technical brilliance, it kept me engaged by drawing from unresolved elements from relationships in the previous films. Kind of like how Skyfall has all the usual Bond elements (+Deakins) , but the story is built around Bond’s relationship with M.

Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:01 am
now we know

Screw you, David! ;)

Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:02 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Quote:
please do not comment if you have not previously seen the movie!
;)

Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:25 am
The Kramer

So Rob Hardy shot Annihilation as well, which was also some very good work. Ex Machina is also a nice add, but he has mostly just done DTV stuff it looks like. And composer John Ralfe looks like a journeyman- he’s already done 3 movie scores this year and worked just as much last. I really liked Lego Batman and Ghost in the Shell but can’t remember a single thing about their scores.

So it seems like everyone from McQuarrie down just really stepped their games up to turn this into a masterwork.

Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:23 pm
Superman: The Movie

See this on the biggest screen you possibly can.

The most consistent franchise on the planet is back, and this time it doesn’t stop. It’s 147 minutes of non-stop action, and it’s the best spectacle you’ll see in theaters this year (unless you count Paddington 2, and considering Hugh Grant’s performance in that, I just might). It also does the nearly impossible task of selling the viewer (or at least me) that there are actual stakes here. The team might not win. Or win, but maybe at a cost.

As I think I’ve mentioned in all of my M:I reviews (or I’ve at least repeated this word) this series is really about spectacle, and after taking a slight dip in Rogue Nation, we’re now back to Ghost Protocol levels. For me, I think the apex of the series will always be the Burj Khalifa climb, but on the whole, the set pieces get better and better as they go. The Halo jump is amazing minus the CGI lightning, and unlike Rogue Nation, this movie saves its best set piece for last with the helicopter chase.

So, what’s keeping this from being truly great? It could use a tiny morsel more of someone like Brad Bird’s charm, and I’m sick of Julia. It’s not Michelle Monaghan’s fault, and admittedly, the script weaves her character in beautifully, but hopefully this movie brought an end to keeping her in the background yet always on Ethan’s mind (and I think it does). The movie also doesn’t do a great job of hiding who the secondary villain is, but neither did the trailers so it might not be actually trying to hide it.

Small complaints aside, this is one of the better action films of the decade, and I never want this franchise to end or Tom Cruise to leave it. I’ll watch these until he can’t run anymore.

A

Rankings

Ghost Protocol
Mission: Impossible
Fallout*
Rogue Nation
III
II

*I’m still debating whether or not Fallout is better than the original, but for now it goes third.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

This is easily the closest to the original Film. I'm surprised how much they scaled back this time around. There was no major set piece. Just a lot of solid action sequences, and a lot of espionage was brought back which I loved. And it had the most heart.

2 is still the only misstep for me and one of the worst sequels ever made. This beats Bond/Bourne almost every time.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:09 pm
Forum General

I fucking loved it. Easily one of the best movie-going experiences I have had since Fury Road and honestly as of right now I still can't decide which one I liked more. I get the feeling Fallout will have the most repeat value down the line, but we'll just have to wait and see. The action sequences are stunning and Jmart is right about these movies being all about the spectacle and god does this one deliver on that in spades. That entire Paris Extraction sequence was epic from the chase scenes to the editing and the score. As much as I loved the finale particularly the helicopter chase that scene is definitely the highlight of the film. The rest of the action sequences are really well done aswell including that very hyped bathroom fight. If I had any complaints it would be that once again the villains are a bit on the weaker side, but that didn't necessarily bother me. I also wish they had done more with Cavill, because even though I liked his character the trailers made him out to be a much bigger badass than he really is and that was kind of disappointing. Michelle Monahghan felt really forced in too, but other than that I hope Cruise continues doing these movies until the end of time, especially if they are able to keep upping the quality.

A

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:34 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Did Cruise really pull all those stunts by himself? That's what I kept thinking half of the movie. Amazing backdrops and camerawork. I wasn't even bothered much by IMAX to regular camera switch though it was noticeable. The rest of the cast is so great here but then again they blew their load early and while the finale is GREAT nothing can match the craze of the Paris extraction scene. Monaghan's character does feel out of place here but overall didn't hinder my experience.

9/10

Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:56 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This pretty easily takes the cake as the best movie of the summer so far. I've already seen it twice in IMAX and plan on going back for a third time. The action sequences are mindblowing and the film is impeccably made - the cinematography and score deserve Oscar nominations. The helicopter battle, bathroom fight, airplane jump and the Paris chase are all-timers - the start of the airplane scene in particular gave me chills. Just a blast at the movies. A

I also LOVED Vanessa Kirby in her limited screentime, I thought she stole the show. I hope her character returns for subsequent installments.

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:45 am
Profile YIM
Don't Dream It, Be It

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
So Rob Hardy shot Annihilation as well, which was also some very good work. Ex Machina is also a nice add, but he has mostly just done DTV stuff it looks like. And composer John Ralfe looks like a journeyman- he’s already done 3 movie scores this year and worked just as much last. I really liked Lego Batman and Ghost in the Shell but can’t remember a single thing about their scores.

So it seems like everyone from McQuarrie down just really stepped their games up to turn this into a masterwork.

Lorne Balfe. :mer:

He's become one of my favorite modern composers. He's also very social with fans on social media (twitter), and has discussed a good bit with me in the past regarding his music and time working with Activision on Skylanders.

LEGO Batman has a very good score, I definitely recommend listening to it again. His score for Home is also notable, in my opinion, just look up "Symphony of Oh." He's also been the composer for a few of the Assassin's Creed games, and as mentioned, all the Skylanders games (if interested in these, give the OST of Skylanders Giants a listen).

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

A thoroughly enthralling and breathtaking action blockbuster, and by far the best film that 2018 has had to offer. The action does not let up as it hops from Belfast to Berlin, Paris to London, and then finally to Kashmir, India, where the Mission: Impossible experience meets its highest point of the film's action crescendo. Tom Cruise is a true action man. There is no other way to describe him. Just a pure athletic, ballsy actor that thrives on doing his part to tell great stories. So glad to see him back in the game here after disappointing releases in The Mummy and Jack Reacher: Never Go Back. And the stunts, while impressive, are not solely what Fallout has to offer. It's the succession of awesome action that makes this installment stand out. The motorbiking through Paris is very exciting. The helicopter finale is edge-of-your-seat stuff. The Halo jump honestly could have been produced, but apart from that it's all excellent and real. The bathroom fight is a tough mano-a-mano duel that acts as a nice entrée for the rest of the film, which is simply excellent cinema.

This is better than Rogue Nation. It reminded me a lot of Mission: Impossible III in terms of the intense ending. Oh, and I love the serious tone here. Sure, there are a few quips and lines (which work well) but it is a mostly humorless, which is how it should be and what this franchise does so well. To top my experience off, I treated myself to a VIP ticket in a 16-seat auditorium in Hong Kong. Huge leather chairs, little tray, free popcorn and drink, adjustable electric seats, private toilet, and I was the only one in the cinema! An awesome experience. How will I ever go back to just regular seats in a regular auditorium?! :funny:

A+

Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:03 am
Profile WWW
now we know

It's great during the helicopter chase when Cavill realises for the first time that it's Cruise piloting the second chopper. They look at each other, and Cruise says "prick". That was awesome, and you don't hear that word enough in big blockbuster films.

Another helicopter observation; I found it kind of odd and funny at the same time when Cruise is piloting the helicopter and talking with Benji, Luther, and Ilsa on the coms. Benji asks "wait, where are you?!", to which Cruise replies that he's in the helicopter, and they all lose their shit. "You're IN A HELICOPTER??". I don't really get this. They all saw him run towards a helicopter and latch on to it. Is it really so out of their realm of the possible that he eventually gets into the cockpit?

Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:20 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Ranking these is difficult, but would go something like this:

1. M:I-2 A+
2. Mission: Impossible - Fallout A+
2. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol A+
4. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation A
4. Mission: Impossible III A
6. Mission: Impossible A-

Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:18 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

^ Surprised that you liked MI2 as the best of this franchise. I put that as too much style-over-substance even though I have fond memories of that as a teenager.

As for the grade yeah I think its pretty much impossible to grade these movies among each other. Most of them are 8 or 9 rated movies. Though I feel Ghost Protocol, Fallout and the original have better re-watchable quality to them in that order.

1. Ghost Protocol
2. Fallout
3. Mission Impossible
4. Rogue Nation
5. Mission Impossible 3
6. Mission Impossible 2

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:02 am
now we know

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Surprised that you liked MI2 as the best of this franchise.

I didn't become a snob or a sheep when I became an adult like most other people. Films I liked at 12, I still like at 32.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:07 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Haha cool. For me it's just that rest of the entries are better than MI2, I feel I watched it multiple times because it was the most accessible movie that time.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:23 am
now we know

They're all fucking excellent. Honestly, M:I-2 could be ranked last and it still gets top marks from me.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:33 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

True. Its one of the best if not the best action series of all time.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:14 pm
Extraordinary

this was awesome. can't wait to check it out again.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:00 pm
Cream of the Crop

Mission: Impossible - Fallout: A+

A pure action movie that was perfectly directed! I'm thinking about a 2nd viewing (which I actually never plan to do).

1. Mission: Impossible - Fallout A+
2. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation A
3. Mission: Impossible A
4. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol A
5. Mission: Impossible III A-
6. M:I-2 A-

Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:58 am
Cream of the Crop

Martin Samenweis, ich habe Sie genau gesehen, Sie erschienen flimmernd in meinem Augapfel.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next