Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Loving Vincent 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

Loving Vincent 
Wallflower

Post Loving Vincent

Quote:
This feature-length painted animation -- the first film of its kind -- explores the life and unusual death of Vincent Van Gogh via depictions of his artworks. Directed by Dorota Kobiela and Hugh Welchman.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:43 am
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Loving Vincent
Loving Vincent is far more fascinating for its technique than it's story. It is essentially an animation of a close-up of an oil painting continually updated by a team of 100 artists over 5 years (working from a guide film using real actors). While this approach is not entirely successful, it is nonetheless entirely captivating. To see in 'realtime' how oil paint captures such things as lighting variations and perspective changes is illuminating. The plot is just okay - it plays out a bit like an episode of CSI: Paris. *A*

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:09 am
now we know

It is a fucking work of art. Not only is it a masterpiece of beautiful production design and a moving Clint Mansell score, it's also a gripping exploration into Van Gogh's final weeks and death. I was blown away. Full respect goes to the artists' attention-to-detail and endurance to produce such consistency, but even more how they managed to probe into the happenings of his life from his paintings and actually make it a captivating watch. The creative design is a masterstroke. Biographical films often fail due to the imperfection of humans and/or the realness of sets and props which can spoil one's dreamy vision of a character that is so set in our society and our minds, but here it is swapped for another imperfection (and imitation); painting ... which itself is perfection.

A

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:18 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Loving Vincent
This is a quite beautiful story, beautifully told. At the beginning of the film it's paint style didn't feel very comfortable to me, but along the story developed into a bit of a murder mystery I got more hooked on it. There's moments when I feel the graphics come out great, like when it's raining and other times I felt a bit bothered about it blurring the picture too. At the same time, there's quite nice detail on the painted faces of the actors and it's style feels in place with the 19th century time the story takes place. It's a simple story, but it's intriguing and well acted, and it resonated with me till well after the film. Despite not having a full appreciation for the film's style, in part for never much have appreciated the art of painting itself, I barely even know more than a handful of van Gogh's painting, the film is a nice achievement. I'm not convinced it's winning style of film making, but it did work here.

B+

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:13 pm
Keeping it Light

Post Re:
Algren wrote:

a moving Clint Mansell score

Maybe this has something to do with me watching it on a plane, which yeah is not a great time to watch film anyway, with kind of shitty headphones, but the score didn't get to me. Thus probably contributing in me not fully feeling submerged in this world.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]