Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 The Mountain Between Us 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

The Mountain Between Us 
Pure Phase

Post The Mountain Between Us

Quote:
The Mountain Between Us is a 2017 American romance disaster survival film directed by Hany Abu-Assad and written by Chris Weitz and J. Mills Goodloe, based on the novel of the same name by Charles Martin.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:58 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Mountain Between Us
This is a dreadful film. It is bad in a way which almost blindsided me, rivaled this year only by The Circle and The Last Face. Particularly in its second hour, I became hyper-conscious of myself in the auditorium, desperate for the end credits and, by extension, escape. ;) It is the English-language debut of Palestinian-born Dutch director Hany Abu-Assad, who previously made the gripping and topical terrorism-themed films Paradise Now and Omar. At the helm of this survival-yarn-cum-romantic-melodrama, he is, however, entirely lost. Imagine The Grey drained of any suspense or thematic heft and then heavily filtered through the worst, most anodyne and saccharine instincts of Nicholas Sparks. The survival side of the film is anemic; at times, one forgets the characters are even cold, and no situation is so dire it cannot include a cute moment with a dog or a gaze loaded with desire. Lip service is paid to impending death and the waning chance of rescue, but not one scene is visceral. The film's more prominent romantic side is painful, felled by a notably contrived opposites-attract dynamic (we are constantly reminded he is rigid and rule-minded while she is rebellious and bold) and the dearth of chemistry between Idris Elba and Kate Winslet, two attractive and talented people delivering oddly flat performances. It builds to a gushing final scene, a career low point for both stars; it a moment meant to evoke overwhelming romantic euphoria, but instead registers as profoundly embarrassing and unearned.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:20 pm
now we know

A deeply superficial romantic survival film with an atrocious script and horrible, vacant characters that you do not want to be locked in with for two hours. With the amount of panic and urgency they expend, you would think they had just had a power outage in New York City and have a fridge to raid, not a plane wreckage in the icy mountains of Idaho and are fighting for their lives. And the acting...oh, the acting. Let's just say "Dog" gave the best performance.

It is such a shame, too, because I really thought this was going to be good. I like Elba and Winslet, and I am always game for survival films. But it is a real disappointment.

D+

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:55 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I honestly agree with all of the negative things you guys said. It's not a very good movie at all. It's actually pretty bad at times. But I was entertained enough so I'll give it a C+.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:46 am
Forum General

I didn't think this was that bad, but it's the definition of an average film. I liked the cinematography and Elba/Winslet have good chemistry, but its sort of a weak excuse for a survival/adventure film which is a genre I really enjoy.

C+

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:57 pm
now we know

Dil wrote:
and Elba/Winslet have good chemistry

This could not be further from the truth, but I am glad that you and Mike didn't mind it so much.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Kate Winslet and Idris Elba have absolutely no chemistry whatsoever in this movie, to the point where it's almost comical. The movie is also boring and I agree it's shockingly low-stakes for a survival thriller. It's harmless and I've definitely seen worse this year but with these two actors the final product should have been much better. C

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:36 pm
Profile YIM
Keeping it Light

This is not a good film, the dialogue is just bad and the story of survival is never intensified by just average directing. But I liked the romance part. Can't say there was great chemistry here, but the bond created by the leads at the end was believable for me. I give it a pass.

C

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:27 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Boring and surprisingly poorly acted with zero chemistry among the actors. The finale is so cringe worthy.

3/10

Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]