Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Hitman's Bodyguard 

Rate This Film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

The Hitman's Bodyguard 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post The Hitman's Bodyguard

Quote:
The Hitman's Bodyguard is an upcoming American action comedy film directed by Patrick Hughes and written by Tom O'Connor. The film stars Ryan Reynolds, Samuel L. Jackson, Gary Oldman and Salma Hayek.

The plot follows a bodyguard who is hired to protect a hitman who has to testify at the International Court of Justice. It is scheduled to be released in the United States on August 18, 2017.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:40 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Hitman's Bodyguard
It runs a little long but it's enjoyable. Some of the action scenes are actually pretty well done, it has some laughs and Reynolds and Jackson work off each other well. Salma Hayek's small role is also fun.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:51 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Reynolds and specially Jackson are very good in this. The action scenes are great, I liked those hand-to-hand combats but it pales in comedy aspect. The movie has funny bits but a lot one-liners miss the mark here.

6/10

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:33 pm
Forum General

This movie was a lot of fun. Reynolds and Jackson have great chemistry and while their banter was funny I thought Salma Hayek was fucking hilarious in her small role. She easily stole the show for me whenever she was on screen which honestly wasn't enough. The action sequences are also really well done in this film. Nothing special per se, but after the big disappointment that was The Expendables 3 Patrick Hughes has actually proved to me that he can definitely be a competent action director.

It's too bad that the only real weak link here is Gary Oldman. He's fine acting wise, but it felt like he was being very restrained and it's a pretty generic, one note villain role.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:00 am
Pure Phase

This is an irritating film. It is two hours long, but I swear it feels two-and-a-half; more than once I thought, "All right, this is the finale," only for another complication to emerge, another fight or chase to begin, etc. Samuel L. Jackson and Ryan Reynolds are both talented men in general, but their predictable odd-couple dynamic (one is anarchic and wild-eyed, the other fastidious and straitlaced) is not dynamic or hilarious so much as it is just...loud. Their arguments and insult volleying grows tiresome. And certain subplots are truly dire: any scene devoted to Reynold's character and his strained relationship with his Interpol ex-girlfriend (Daredevil's Elodie Yung) is a slog, for example. And the primary antagonist, played by a sleepy and overqualified Gary Oldman, being a genocidal dictator—who murders a mother and her daughter in his introductory scene no less—is a tonal misstep in a film so flippant. One bright spot: the film contains a few randomly exhilarating and well-crafted action sequences, particularly the fight between Reynolds and...let's call him Henchman No. 2 in a hardware store.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:31 pm
Cream of the Crop

Mediocrity thy name is Hitman's Bodyguard. The two talented leads are saddled with a weak script and action scenes which are too impausible to be realistic and not implausible enough to be fun. The only thing that saved it from being a complete timewaster was the romance (especially Jackson & Hayek's first meeting scene set to Lionel Richie's 'Hello"). *C-*

Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:36 am
Keeping it Light

I had a lot of fun with this, Reynolds and Jackson share some great chemistry, it's got a great mix of action and humor. The fact a lot of the story is set in Holland is a nice touch for me. Can't really have any complaints about the film, it's light and just does what it has to do for an enjoyable watch. I enjoyed the cast around, got a thing for Elodie Yung too. The Hitman's Bodyguard is probably my favorite Ryan Reynolds film at this point.

B+

And that was a nice song to close the film with
Spoiler: show

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:38 pm
now we know

So this was fun. Fast-paced, action-packed, fun. Almost none of the jokes worked, and the banter/relationship between Reynolds and Jackson didn't really work either. One minute they're at each other's throats and the next they're bosom buddies. It never successfully becomes one of those gory R-rated action films that has a sense of humour. It stays firmly as an action-comedy where the action is messy and the comedy just hangs. The film is quite formulaic too, but it's easy to forgive an action film for these sins because it's in full-on lay-back-and-enjoy mode, and as I said it was fun.

B or B-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]