Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Beguiled (2017) 

Rate This Film
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

The Beguiled (2017) 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post The Beguiled (2017)

Quote:
The Beguiled is a 2017 American drama film written and directed by Sofia Coppola, based on the novel The Beguiled (originally published as A Painted Devil) by Thomas P. Cullinan. It stars Colin Farrell, Nicole Kidman, Kirsten Dunst and Elle Fanning. A film of the same name, also based on Cullinan's book, was released in 1971.

It premiered on May 24, 2017 and was selected to compete for the Palme d'Or in the main competition section at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival,[4][5] where Coppola won the Best Director award, becoming only the second woman to do so.[6] It was released on June 23, 2017, by Focus Features.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:52 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Beguiled (2017)
This movie is an absolute blast. It's a fun, wickedly entertaining potboiler that is gorgeously directed and shot, and features top-notch performances from the entire cast. It has an incredible sense of atmosphere and by the end I was on the edge of my seat, not really sure of what to expect. It's darkly hilarious and many scenes had the audience laughing out loud. Everyone in the cast is incredible and they all have great chemistry with each other, seemingly relishing in the juicy material all of the roles provide them with. Best in show in my opinion was Kirsten Dunst, whose character is more subdued but has the best arc of all the ladies, but Elle Fanning is also excellent and Nicole Kidman is as flawless as ever. Colin Farrell does a great job of making his character charming but also somewhat sleazy and unpredictable. He clearly thinks very highly of himself at the start of the film and gradually as the film turns into a bit of a revenge fantasy gets what he deserves. The younger actresses (including rising stars Oona Laurence and Angourie Rice) are also excellent. Everyone gets a chance to shine here. This is my favorite film of 2017 so far. A

The dinner table scenes in this movie are fucking hysterical. The movie is very, very aware of how campy it is and has a blast with that concept.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:05 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

In Civil War-era Virginia, a severely wounded Union soldier finds sanctuary and medical treatment at a boarding school for girls; most of the students have gone, but four remain alongside a teacher and the headmistress. To the women, he almost instantly becomes a source of curiosity: an attractive type of toy, at once helpless and dangerous, in a place defined by isolation and repression. And he comes to believe it is in his best interest to flirt with and intrigue each of them so as to extend his period of convalescence and avoid a Confederate prison camp. This web of subtle glances and implicit desires turns from humor to horror in Sofia Coppola's gorgeously designed and highly disciplined chamber play. The characters tease, investigate, and deceive one another as the war looms heavily on the horizon in the form of cannon blasts and plumes of smoke; the singular blend of summertime lust and morbid dread becomes intoxicating and richly suspenseful. And the cast is superb, from a magisterial Nicole Kidman to a fiery, virile Colin Farrell to a wistful and deeply sympathetic Kirsten Dunst.

A

In regard to the racism "controversy," I firmly believe Coppola was damned if she did and damned if she didn't (and, in the end, she didn't). Yes, the movie just states the school's slaves have fled and otherwise ignores the racial politics of the Civil War, but I just know the same people would be criticizing Coppola still (tokenism! prioritizes white people's psychological and sexual problems over the torment of slavery!) if she retained the female-slave character from the novel and the Clint Eastwood film.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:04 am
Cream of the Crop

The Beguiled squanders a great cast and art direction on a dull story with inconsistent character motivations. Colin Farrell's character wasn't shown to be especially guileful and the women's reactions were unconvincing. A surprisingly lazy and weak film for Sofia Coppola. *C*

Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:10 pm
Extraordinary

the "vengeful bitches" line wasn't in the movie, right? I didn't hear it.

I really enjoyed the film, thought Kirsten Dunst in particular was great.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:45 am
Pure Phase

It is, but it is heard by the women from another room and muffled.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:11 pm
Forum General

I thought it was solid, but nothing great. I was expecting more of a visceral gut punch towards the end, but it never happened which was kind of disappointing. Everyone here is great though, especially Dunst, Farrell and Kidman. The dark humor really works IMO, and I was never bored even though I believe the direction could have been a bit stronger.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:27 am
now we know

A bit short but this is a decent period drama. Certain shots and ideas are very well done. The simmering dynamic between the females to compete is when the film is at it's strongest. This, however, is short-lived. And the film is lacking something that I cannot put my finger on. It is commendable as a viewfinder into female lives during the Civil War, but it just isn't gripping like I wanted it to be. Everyone is on top form, though. Dunst, Kidman, Farrell, and Fanning are all just so good.

I have never seen the Eastwood version, so I'm looking forward to tracking it down.

B

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]