Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 My Cousin Rachel (2017) 

Rate This Film
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

My Cousin Rachel (2017) 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post My Cousin Rachel (2017)

Quote:
My Cousin Rachel is a 2017 American-British romantic drama film[2] written and directed by Roger Michell, based upon the 1951 novel of the same name by Daphne du Maurier. It stars Rachel Weisz, Sam Claflin, Iain Glen and Holliday Grainger. The film was released on June 9, 2017, by Fox Searchlight Pictures.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:16 pm
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: My Cousin Rachel
My Cousin Rachel is ambiguity incarnate.

A masterfully constructed tale (by the dark authoress of Rebecca), that is now masterfully crafted into a movie by none other than director Roger (Changing Lanes) Michell. Are you willing to embrace ambiguity? I'm still guessing! *A*

Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:11 am
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: My Cousin Rachel (2017)
Here's a great interview with director Roger Michell about My Cousin Rachel, though I strongly recommend you don't read it until you've seen the movie (or read the novel).

Quote:
One evening, I wanted something to read and I thought “I'd love to find a book that I know I won't want to make a film out of.” It's exhausting if you're reading a book and thinking, "Oh, this would make a great film."

So, I got this old copy off my shelf. It was my mother's old paperback copy of the book. I think she was quite a Du Maurier fan, probably in the ’60s. I thought "This will be like chick-lit, this will be a romantic thriller from the early ’50s. It will be fun, and I'll read a few pages and then I'll fall asleep." I read a few pages, and then I read a few more pages, and I was absolutely bewitched by it and couldn't quite figure out what she was trying to do, where we were going. It was just so full of surprises. Every chapter seems to end on a cliffhanger.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:02 am
Pure Phase

This plays very similarly to the Richard Burton/Olivia de Havilland version from 1952; there is a sex scene here which would have given '50s audiences seizures, but is decidedly chaste by today's standard. My response to this adaptation is similar to how I feel regarding the older one: it is well-acted (particularly by Rachel Weisz) and atmospheric; involving without ever being electrifying; a modest story of desire and suspicion in a well-appointed country estate.

I have not read the novel, but in both films I lean toward Rachel being at least partly sinister. Too many details strain credulity for me if she is innocent: Ambrose's fearful letters would need to be entirely attributed to brain-tumor-induced delusions, for example, and it would have to be a coincidence how the protagonist's health worsens just as he begins consuming more of Rachel's special tea. Though I admit the alternative is provocative, the idea of her "evil" being entirely dependent on the present mood of an inexperienced, naive man with a crush.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:12 pm
Wallflower

This was pretty enjoyable. Weisz and Claflin were really good.

7/10 (B)

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:58 pm
Cream of the Crop

David wrote:
I lean toward Rachel being at least partly sinister. Too many details strain credulity for me if she is innocent: Ambrose's fearful letters would need to be entirely attributed to brain-tumor-induced delusions, for example, and it would have to be a coincidence how the protagonist's health worsens just as he begins consuming more of Rachel's special tea.
That is certainly one interpretation, but as you say they may "be entirely attributed to brain-tumor-induced delusions" and as they worsen his concerned bride gives him more traditional Italian herbal medicine of the era.

David wrote:
Though I admit the alternative is provocative, the idea of her "evil" being entirely dependent on the present mood of an inexperienced, naive man with a crush.
You appear to be missing the conclusion to this last thought.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]