Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 It Comes at Night 

Rate This Film
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

It Comes at Night 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post It Comes at Night

Quote:
It Comes at Night is a 2017 American psychological horror film[2] written and directed by Trey Edward Shults. It stars Joel Edgerton, Christopher Abbott, Carmen Ejogo, Kelvin Harrison Jr. and Riley Keough.

The film had its world premiere at the Overlook Film Festival in Mount Hood, Oregon on April 29, 2017, and is scheduled to be released on June 9, 2017 in the United States by A24.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:48 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: It Comes at Night
This is a solid post-apocalyptic-slash-psychological suspense film. It reminds me a great deal of the similarly modest and similarly decent domestic-strife-at-the-end-of-the-world yarn Z for Zachariah, which barely registered upon release, whereas this is being hailed by several as a genre masterpiece. Go figure. I am not so over the moon: the cumulative impact (in regard to both general pathos and a sense of fear) is not as impactful as it could or should be, perhaps partly because the screenplay is so coy in its withholding of detail and context. It just did not quite wow me or slither under my skin the way it intends to and undoubtedly will for others. But at the same time, it is definitely a soundly constructed film buoyed by stylishly dour, aspect-ratio-shifting photography and yet another noteworthy and tightly wound performance by the excellent Joel Edgerton. It is easy to admire.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:32 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought this was great. Very atmospheric, bleak and suspenseful. It's masterfully directed and gorgeous to look at and all the performers are great, particularly Joel Edgerton and Christopher Abbott. It's not exactly what it was advertised is (it's definitely more of a psychological thriller than a full-on horror film) which may turn some people off, but it's hard to ignore how well-done this movie is. A-

Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:56 am
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

The bits used to create most of the advertising are from the teenage son's dream sequences, a trope I believe the film returns to a few too many times. I found it more compelling when it focused on the rough-and-tumble elements of its post-apocalyptic reality as opposed to its tangents into quasi-eerie surrealism.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:10 am
Forum General

This was solid, but in no way do I think it should be considered a horror film. A psychological thriller/drama is way more accurate IMO. It's not like that's a bad thing though, because those are definitely the strongest aspects about it, however it is kind of misleading when you watch the trailers or hell even the title.

Anyways, I really loved the tension and the atmosphere in it, and the performances are good, especially a very on edge and wiry Joel Edgerton, but there is such a thing as being too damn vague. Not that I needed everything explained all the time, but I just wish there was more to it than what we got which honestly wasn't that satisfying.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:49 pm
now we know

That was intense as fuck. Brilliant film. Such paranoia and the performances are top-notch, especially from Joel Edgerton and Kelvin Harrison Jr. I believe many might be disappointed wondering "what comes at night?" and never having an answer, but I loved that mystery and how it forces a psychological approach to retrieve a conclusion.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I admire the approach, but it's minimalist to a fault. I'm not asking for answers, but I'll take something interesting. Extreme paranoia being the true sickness...I don't know, I feel like I've seen this before and done much better. And by the time the most horrific thing in the film occurs (the ending), I had already stopped caring.

C

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
It Comes at Night

That was intense as fuck. Brilliant film. Such paranoia and the performances are top-notch, especially from Joel Edgerton and Kelvin Harrison Jr. I believe many might be disappointed wondering "what comes at night?" and never having an answer, but I loved that mystery and how it forces a psychological approach to retrieve a conclusion.

A

Best review in this thread.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]