Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 A Quiet Passion 

Rate This Film
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

A Quiet Passion 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post A Quiet Passion

Quote:
A Quiet Passion is a 2016 biographical film directed and written by Terence Davies about the life of American poet Emily Dickinson. The film stars Cynthia Nixon as the reclusive poet. It co-stars Emma Bell as young Dickinson, Jennifer Ehle, Duncan Duff and Keith Carradine.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:40 am
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: A Quiet Passion
A Quiet Passion is the feel bad movie of the year!

It fills in the blind spot in my cultural education on the life and work of Emily Dickinson. I'm a sucker for biopics, and this dark tale dives deep into an artist unrecognized by her contemporaries and adept at the sharp insult delivered precisely 5 points above the IQ of its recipient. The tragedy of high intelligence imprisoned in such an unforgiving era speaks clearly on behalf of the values our culture must continue to strive towards. It's cinematography and art direction is superb - it is a masterclass in how to present an authentic looking period drama on a very small budget by carefully planning the coverage angles of well chosen vintage locations. All of the acting is superb, but perhaps I'm fortunate that I'm only peripherally familiar with the career of Cynthia Nixon who plays the poet. I can only imagine the baggage I'd carry if Lisa Kudrow played the part, no matter how brilliantly she performed. I can't say I enjoyed A Quiet Passion, but it is very well done. *B+*

Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:02 pm
Pure Phase

I am eager to see it. Davies is a favorite director of mine. Did you see his previous film, Sunset Song?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:36 pm
Cream of the Crop

I went for the subject, never crossed paths with the director before, though now I'd like to go back and see DVSL and House of Mirth.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:57 pm
Pure Phase

Another delicate gem of a film by Terence Davies, one of the greatest British directors to ever live. Here he dramatizes the mid-to-late-19th-century life of American poet Emily Dickinson, reclusive and largely unheralded in life, renowned beyond compare in death. For Davies, a profoundly melancholy and nostalgic artist, A Quiet Passion is a first: for at least its opening half, it is nearly a comedy and a hilarious one. Davies' incredibly dexterous and literate screenplay brings Emily's small W Massachusetts social circle to vivid life with high-minded conversations spiced with acerbic asides, jests, and witticisms. This is complicated and intelligent cinematic conversation to luxuriate in, to lean into and unravel. The second half of the film, in which Emily's life begins to constrict and illness befalls her, is in a far more despondent key, but just as incisive and smart. Cynthia Nixon, whom I only know from occasional film roles as a non-fan of Sex and the City, is authentic, soulful, and tremendous in the lead role. Her portrayal of this canonical American writer is sympathetic, but not sugarcoated; she embraces and explores Emily's sharper edges and almost self-sabotaging contradictions. And the film includes a few of the most striking visuals Davies has ever conjured, including the elapsing of around two decades in the space of a daguerreotype sitting (the actors age [or change, with Nixon replacing American Horror Story's Emma Bell as a teenage Emily] as the camera slowly pushes in).

A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]