Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Toni Erdmann 

Rate This Film
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Toni Erdmann 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Toni Erdmann

Quote:
Toni Erdmann is a 2016 German-Austrian comedy-drama film directed, written and co-produced by Maren Ade. It stars Peter Simonischek, Sandra Hüller, Michael Wittenborn, Thomas Loibl, Trystan Pütter, Hadewych Minis, Lucy Russell, Ingrid Bisu, Vlad Ivanov and Victoria Cocias.

The film was selected to compete for the Palme d'Or at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival.[5][6] It was selected as the German submission for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 89th Academy Awards.[7] In December 2016, it made the shortlist of nine films to be considered for a nomination at the 89th Academy Awards.[8] It won five awards at the 29th European Film Awards, including Best Film, Best Director, Best Screenwriter, Best Actor, and Best Actress, and it was the first time a film directed by a woman that won the top award.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:16 pm
We had our time together

Post Re: Toni Erdmann
Toni Erdmann is a prime example of why I usually avoid german /austrian dramas. It's like no one is ever happy, all life consists of is depression. I was willing to give this one a try but about halfway through it just lost me and never got me back. I have no idea where the amazing reception comes from and I don't even want to try to understand. Glad it worked for some people, but for me, it didn't. Sandra Hüller gave an amazing performance though, but the movie is about as enjoyable as her breasts.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

*** / ****** (C)

I got tickets to see this yesterday. I was really looking forward to it because it's one of the best reviewed movies (if not the best) of 2016. An hour into it I started to wonder will the movie ever take off. It never really did. It is well made, it has its moments, but I can hardly see where all the praise comes from. There's literally one great scene in it (the nude party). The rest of it is just good.

The whole estranged father-daughter plot that the movie adverts feels sidelined for a huge chuck of the movie as it mostly focuses on the corporate world. The father remains a goof with bare hints of a bigger personality. Sandra Hüller gave a great performance as the daughter though.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Toni Erdmann is a quite absurd and rather melancholy German comedy in which a father goes to great lengths to help his daughter rediscover the greatest love of all. I enjoyed this offbeat tale and its two lead performances. *B+*

Riggs wrote:
the movie is about as enjoyable as [Sandra Hüller's] breasts.
_axiom wrote:
There's literally one great scene in it (the nude party).
Perhaps some viewers aren't quite ready for the subtleties of European cinema. ;)

Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:19 pm
loyalfromlondon

if you don't think this movie is enjoyable then i don't even know what to say to you.

one of the funniest films of the year.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]