Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Collateral Beauty 

Rate This Film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

Collateral Beauty 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Collateral Beauty

Quote:
Collateral Beauty is an upcoming 2016 American drama film directed by David Frankel and written by Allan Loeb. The film stars an ensemble cast of Will Smith, Kate Winslet, Keira Knightley, Helen Mirren, Edward Norton, Michael Peña and Naomie Harris. The film is scheduled to be released on December 16, 2016.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:27 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Collateral Beauty
I could already tell this is gonna be a film a lot of people are gonna hate but I enjoyed it lol. If you're intrigued by the trailer I'd say there's a good chance you'll like it.

I will say there's a reveal at the end that I didn't expect, and when I thought about the scenes beforehand I was like "um... what".

I think the movie could've done more with its premise and there are certainly some problematic things about it but overall it was a "nice" movie to watch. The whole ensemble is good.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:53 pm
Extraordinary

Idk if it's ridiculous on a rewatch but from seeing some TV spots I'm starting to find the
Spoiler: show
reveal that Harris is actually Will Smith's ex-wife really silly as from what I remember the scenes with them earlier it kinda feels flimsy as it felt like they didn't know each other, or Smith's character is so deatched that Harris plays up that they are strangers meeting again. Idk

Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:55 am
Sbil

What the fuck.

No, seriously.

What the fuck.

How did this movie get made? How did this movie get made with the incredible cast that is assembled for it? How did any sane, competent human being actually read through this script and say, "Oh yeah, that'll work?"

The mind truly boggles.

Collateral Beauty (itself an exceedingly dumb title that is never explained in the movie other than to have a character keep repeating the words as if they make perfect sense) is one of the dumbest, most incomprehensible films I've ever seen theatrically.

The "plot" is impossibly convoluted and ridiculously simplistic at the same time.

I'm just going to summarize the movie in a spoiler box, because it is so ridiculous that it needs to be laid out sentence by sentence. MASSIVE SPOILERS, YOU ARE WARNED.

Spoiler: show
Howard's daughter died three years ago. Howard's three co-workers/"friends" Whit, Claire and Simon are all distinguished by one character trait exclusive to them: Whit's daughter hates him, Claire is too busy to have a baby, and Simon has a persnickety cough that means he's dying.

At the same time, Howard has turned catatonic and his business partners are worried their advertising firm will fail. So they concoct the most harebrained, puzzling scheme in movie history. They hire three struggling, bohemian actors to personify Death, Time and Love to randomly show up during some of Howard's angry bike riding sessions (there are at least four or five of those) and babble nonsense about each of these concepts that sounds like it was taken from a fortune cookie. A crappy fortune cookie. Then their brilliant plan is to have Character Actress Ann Dowd follow Howard around while he's talking to these people, then show the footage to lawyers on their board with the actors digitally erased so Howard looks like a crazypants.

What the fuck? Are these people psychotic or just stupid? Gaslighting, everyone's fave intervention strategy!

Meanwhile, Howard is creepily lurking around a support group for parents who've lost their children run by the pretty Madeline, the aforementioned character who keeps talking about this mysterious collateral beauty all the time.

In the first of the movie's insanely stupid twists, it is revealed that Madeline is actually Howard's ex-wife, and Howard has been pretending he doesn't know her, or something. As a coping mechanism for their daughter's death, I guess? And for some other reason that doesn't make sense, Madeline has been playing along with this crazy charade the whole movie. ...What? ...Why? How does this help? Why is this happening? M. Night Shyamalan would reject this twist for being out too outlandish.

In the movie's closing seconds, perhaps the most idiotic cinematic moment of the year occurs. It's revealed that the old woman who spoke to Madeline in the hospital as her daughter lay dying about "looking for the collateral beauty omg!!!!" is...the actress hired to play Death, portrayed by one Dame Helen Mirren.

Then, in the present, Howard and Madeline stroll along Central Park, their problems magically healed out of nowhere apparently, while Death, Time and Love watch them from a bridge. Howard looks up and sees them. Then Madeline looks up and doesn't. WHICH MEANS THAT THESE ACTORS REALLY ARE DEATH, TIME AND LOVE.

What. The. Fuck.

So Howard's gaslighting loving friends all were able to see these three angels or whatever the hell they are because...they have problems with death, time and love? I guess? And the three struggling actors are actually angels who just happened to be sitting around waiting for someone to approach them with this plan? It literally will cause you a migraine to spend any time thinking about how any of this could be construed as clever, or words that were actually typed onto a screen and read by people.

And that's not even getting into how insanely sappy, saccharine and manipulative this entire movie is. Manchester by the Sea and Jackie, both in release and rightfully earning award nominations, show shattering portrayals of grief. Collateral Beauty is the opposite. It is a failure in every possible way, although one that is so noteworthy for its shameful waste of its cast and insane story progression that I dare say it might become infamous in its flop status.

F

Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:10 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Now I gotta see this.

Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:00 am
You must have big rats

Libs wrote:
What the fuck.

No, seriously.

What the fuck.

How did this movie get made? How did this movie get made with the incredible cast that is assembled for it? How did any sane, competent human being actually read through this script and say, "Oh yeah, that'll work?"

The mind truly boggles.

Pretty much what I said to my colleague about an hour into the film during the screening.

Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:56 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Huh. I actually liked it, and I heard several exiting moviegoers say similar. And it got an A- Cinemascore. I didn't expect the movie to be that polarizing.

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:49 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie is schmaltzy but it's not that bad and far from how awful the toxic reviews seem to suggest it is. It certainly doesn't get a lot of things right but it's well-intentioned and mostly well-acted. I don't think it's necessarily worth seeing in theaters but it's a harmless holiday watch that should play well on TV or something. B-

Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:10 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

A friend told me the twist. It sounds hilarious and awful. :funny: :funny: :funny:

Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:05 am
You must have big rats

Magic Mike wrote:
A friend told me the twist. It sounds hilarious and awful. :funny: :funny: :funny:

Which of the numerous awful twists?

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:09 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:

Which of the numerous awful twists?

LOL, right. Which one? There are so many bad twists here.

Perhaps the strangest twist is that multiple A-list actors signed onto an "uplifting" Christmas movie about gaslighting your friends.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:10 pm
Wallflower

Well true. They told me the whole thing.

Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:48 am
Hold the door!

This movie is enjoyable. The actors are good. Yes it's very silly, but that adds to the charm.

B

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:58 am
Keeping it Light

I didn't mind the film but it's not good, it's got a nice cast, although only Mirren was good, the rest feels like they're just mailing it in. It's an unfortunate film, I wanted to like it, but the story just never earns the engagement. Instead of endearing, it feels silly and half-hearted in its execution. Another missed attempt in Smith's recent career. For a film that's supposed to be all about emotion it just comes up too empty.

C-

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]