Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 8:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 The Edge of Seventeen 

Rate This Film
A 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
B 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
D 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

The Edge of Seventeen 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post The Edge of Seventeen

Quote:
The Edge of Seventeen (originally titled Besties) is a coming of age American comedy drama film directed and written by Kelly Fremon Craig. The film stars Hailee Steinfeld, Haley Lu Richardson, Hayden Szeto, Blake Jenner, Woody Harrelson and Kyra Sedgwick. Principal photography began on October 21, 2015 in Vancouver, and ended on December 3, 2015. It premiered at the 2016 Toronto International Film Festival on September 18, 2016.

Although not being widely released yet, the film has received acclaim from many critics.[2] The film will be released on November 18, 2016 by STX Entertainment.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:34 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Edge of Seventeen
A very solid film that nails adolescence. Steinfeld is terrific.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:34 pm
Forum General

Post Re: The Edge of Seventeen
She really is excellent in the film.

Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is actually one of the best films of the year, which is shocking to me because I thought it looked so mediocre. It's been falsely advertised as a typical high-school comedy in my opinion when in reality it's so much more thoughtful and emotional than that. It really does nail adolescence and I think it's hard to not find a situation that isn't relatable here in some way if you've ever felt like an outsider. A big reason this movie succeeds as well as it does is from an absolutely incredible, award-worthy turn from Hailee Steinfeld, who would be getting Oscar buzz if this movie was in a more friendly genre to that sort of thing. I've long felt that Steinfeld has been adrift in Hollywood since her breakout a few years ago but this role should certainly change things. She is absolutely fantastic in this movie and equal parts funny and heartbreaking - her character feels so lived-in and by the end of the movie it's impossible not to feel something for her. She just nails the social anxieties that most teens and even adults face in everyday life. She's equally matched by a strong supporting cast across the board - with particularly great work from Woody Harrelson and a charming Blake Jenner, both subverting the archetypes of what these characters normally look like in films like this. Jenner and Steinfeld have a lovely chemistry as well and really do feel like siblings - their final few scenes together are fantastic. This is a lovely, lovely movie and even if it doesn't find an audience right away is definitely going to be a film people remember and will find a following in the long run. A

Last edited by thompsoncory on Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:59 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Steinfeld is so, so good in this movie. Easily her best performance to date. Her last few scenes? Amazing. I'm officially a fan.

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:00 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

Yeah, this was really wonderful. It was heartbreaking at times but also incredibly funny at times (the scene where she was cursing God for constantly butt fucking her had me in tears I was laughing so hard). It was a really sweet flick with a ton of heart and it was insanely easy to relate to. Steinfeld deserves an Oscar nomination, which I'm sure she won't be getting. Don't miss this one.

A

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Sbil

This definitely joins the upper echelon of modern teen movies alongside Clueless, Mean Girls, Juno and Easy A. It's funny, raw and real, nailing the melodramatic teenage years when every little thing makes us feel like the world is about to end. Hailee Steinfeld is completely captivating, finally getting the role that delivers on the promise she showed in True Grit years ago. A-

Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:27 am
Forum General

It is really unfortunate for her and her performance that the movie is dying a quick death at the box office and the year is so full of great lead female performances.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

The Edge of Seventeen should not be billed as a comedy. It's a depressing look at the worst symptoms of the teenage years. Hailee Steinfeld is worth watching, but she can't save the too earnest script. *C*

Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:37 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Well that locks up this as a great film! Thanks, bradley!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:02 am
Wallflower

Saw it three times in theaters. Loved it. In my top 10 so far this year. Steinfeld was terrific and I'm so glad she got a Golden Globe nomination. Deserved to make much more at the Box Office. Loved Harrelson in it too. Definitely a must if you're a fan of coming-of-age films. This is the best since The Perks of Being a Wallflower though I still prefer that film.

9/10 (A-)

Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:24 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I watched this again today during the blizzard. It's such a wonderful movie. I hope it eventually finds the audience it deserves.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:21 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

It's good, but I really couldn't get that invested in the story. Hailee Steinfeld is terrific as is Woody Harrelson and I enjoyed their scenes together the most. I'm also surprised this didn't get more awards recognition as well.

Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:33 pm
Forum General

Loved this. Hailee was perfect.

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:52 pm
Hold the door!

Best high school film in years. So emotional, and the actors were great, not only Steinfeld and Harrelson, but I thought the actresses playing the mom and best friend were stellar also. My only complaint would be that it's not realistic for someone as attractive as Nadine to have no friends. But I loved it, so charming and well written.

A

Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:48 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I enjoyed this a lot. I'm probably in the A- range or so.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:55 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I remember seeing this in November and as expected the film has stuck with me. Its great specially Steinfeld, Harrelson is great as well in a small role.

8/10

Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:40 am
Devil's Advocate

Pretty solid teen coming of age film, Steinfeld delivers with a mix of fun personality but also good emotional moments, and Sedgewick and Harrelson did good as well. I would have liked Krista to have a little more development but I guess the point of her was growing into a very "normal" type of girl.

Sat May 01, 2021 11:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]