Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 47 Meters Down 

Rate This Film
A 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
D 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

47 Meters Down 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post 47 Meters Down

Quote:
47 Meters Down is a 2017 British survival horror film directed by Johannes Roberts, written by Roberts and Ernest Riera and starring Mandy Moore, Claire Holt, Chris J. Johnson, Yani Gellman, Santiago Segura and Matthew Modine.[4] It is set to be released on June 16, 2017.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:10 pm
Forum General

Post Re: 47 Meters Down
Glad someone finally made a thread for this movie, because it's definitely worth talking about. If your a fan of shark films than you should really enjoy this one. The first 20 minutes aren't great mostly because of the weak dialogue, but once it gets to the good stuff it's a pretty thrilling roller- coaster ride. Their are some truly suspenseful sequences, especially towards the end and while overall I liked The Shallows a bit more this movie is at least close to on par with it.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:57 pm
Wallflower

It's supposed to get a wide release sometime next year in the US. I'll be seeing it.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:55 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought this was absolutely great and very different than The Shallows too. It's a lot bleaker and ultimately more suspenseful, and there are some incredibly tense sequences throughout - I really had no idea what was going to happen to the two protagonists by the end. If anything it reminded me of The Descent. Mandy Moore and Claire Holt also both give committed performances. I'm glad it was picked up from Weinstein and will be going wide next year - I'll be checking it out again for sure. A-

Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:08 am
Profile YIM
The Wall

*1/2 / ***** (D-)

Well, the premise is much better than The Shallows (it feels like a more likely and real thing to happen), but that's the only thing that's better. The acting, the direction, how the story unfolds - it's pretty damn bad. But it doesn't take itself as seriously as TS, so I can cut it some slack.

The double ending was ridiculous though.

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

thompsoncory wrote:
I thought this was absolutely great and very different than The Shallows too. It's a lot bleaker and ultimately more suspenseful, and there are some incredibly tense sequences throughout - I really had no idea what was going to happen to the two protagonists by the end. If anything it reminded me of The Descent. Mandy Moore and Claire Holt also both give committed performances. I'm glad it was picked up from Weinstein and will be going wide next year - I'll be checking it out again for sure. A-

Do you think you'll be seeing it in theaters?

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:57 pm
Wallflower

This was a disappointment. The acting and dialogue are mostly bad and it doesn't offer many thrills. I didn't think it was terrible just mediocre. I would have liked it a little better if it had gone with a darker ending and ended a couple minutes sooner. It does look pretty good on the big screen though. I thought the trailer and ads made it look cheaper than it actually does.

6/10 (C+)

Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:25 am
Pure Phase

This impressed me a lot. I enjoyed it even more than last year's The Shallows. It does what it sets out to do extremely well: place its two protagonists (both sympathetic and convincing) in underwater peril and generate considerable suspense via which-way-is-up disorientation, almost-out-of-time maneuvers in tight spaces, and the circling specter of sharks. It drew me in in a crisp, straightforward, edge-of-your-seat way, even earning a surprising degree of emotional investment by the end, and the underwater photography is frequently gorgeous. So glad this was saved from a direct-to-video fate at the hands of Bob and Harvey Weinstein.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:28 am
Sbil

This wasn't bad. It's really well filmed and suspenseful for the most part, though I did feel the "just kidding!" ending was a bit frustrating (and also easily explains the C CinemaScore). Mandy Moore and Claire Holt are both reasonably good at rising above the weak script; honestly, though, no one went to see this movie for the dialogue. Not nearly as good as The Shallows last year, but as far as B-grade summer thrills go, it fits the bill reasonably well. B-

Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:09 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I was a good B-grade movie but unlike Shallows the script isn't very strong and leaves plot holes and the use of Sharks only when script demands it. Both the leads were decent here and do much better than the script provides them. The double ending was clear as soon as the Captain declares the technicality.

5/10

Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:10 am
Wallflower

Yeah if they wouldn't have mentioned the whole hallucinations thing at all it would have actually been surprising. But once they did it was so obvious where that was going.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:22 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I think the Cinemascore would have gone down even more if they didn't mention it earlier :P

Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:27 am
now we know

It wasn't bad, but I am not sure I could sit through it again. Decent twist ending (some nice music in the final scene), though I felt it was only there to offer some excitement in the film (via hallucination). The sharks should have killed them countless times. Kind of bad acting too. Normal people would have been utterly petrified, and unable to move for fear of getting eaten alive by sharks. I never got anything from these girls apart from surface despair.

C+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

What a dumb film. Terrible voice acting, aside from Modine, the dialogue is just crinch worthy..."oh my god, I'm so sad about Stuart". Just I kind of hate water myself, and this film does bring upon some fear of being stuck in the deep ocean, and it redeems itself a bit with that twist at the end, which was not completely unexpected, but I thought "OK, good one". It just feels very cheaply made, and all the character's actions don't make sense.

D

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:49 am
Keeping it Light

David wrote:
So glad this was saved from a direct-to-video fate at the hands of Bob and Harvey Weinstein.

One of his last acts in the business I think.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:52 am
now we know

stuffp wrote:
all the character's actions don't make sense.

When facing death, humans often make poor decisions.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:57 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I thought this was pretty good. Though I am obviously bias due to my love of shark movies. But the movie is shot very well, which is tough to do when underwater or even simulating underwater. The score is also really solid. Though some of the writing and every major story beat is telegraphed, it is mostly devoid of any cringe-inducing moments.

It was fucked up to kill Kate so late in the story. Though it would have also been unrealistic to have to them both survive. And Lisa’s hallucination more than makes up for it. That shot where she lights the flare and sees 3 hungry sharks closing in for the kill is epic!

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:17 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Saw it again and it holds up much better when I had high expectations out of it. The scares are great and character motivations are decent though ofcourse they keep making stupid mistakes. The only caveat is that there aren't enough sharks in a shark movie, they use sharks only as props to change the course of the story or introduce a new twist.

Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:13 am
Defeats all expectations

I think the hallucination sequence was brilliantly done, a memorable surprise in a rather standard but well-shot thriller.

74/100

Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]