Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Volcano 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Volcano 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Volcano
Volcano

Quote:
Volcano is a 1997 disaster film directed by Mick Jackson and produced by Andrew Z. Davis, Neal H. Moritz and Lauren Shuler Donner. The storyline was conceived from a screenplay written by Jerome Armstrong and Billy Ray. The film features Tommy Lee Jones, Anne Heche, and Don Cheadle. Jones is cast as the head of the Los Angeles County Office of Emergency Management (LAC OEM) which has complete authority in the event of an emergency or natural disaster. His character attempts to divert the path of a dangerous lava flow through the streets of Los Angeles following the formation of a volcano at the La Brea Tar Pits.

A joint collective effort to commit to the film's production was made by the film studios of 20th Century Fox, Moritz Original and Shuler Donner/Donner Productions. It was commercially distributed by 20th Century Fox. Volcano explores civil viewpoints, such as awareness, evacuation and crisis prevention. Although the film used extensive special effects, it failed to receive any award nominations from mainstream motion picture organizations for its production merits.

Volcano premiered in theaters nationwide in the United States on April 25, 1997 grossing $49,323,468 in domestic ticket receipts, on a $90 million budget. It earned an additional $73.5 million in business through international release to top out at a combined $122,823,468 in gross revenue. Despite its release and recognition, Dante's Peak (which was released 2 months before) gained more commercial success than Volcano. It was also met with mixed critical reviews before its initial screening in cinemas. The Region 1 code widescreen edition of the film featuring special features was released on DVD in the United States on March 9, 1999.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Volcano
This is a good film. Tommy Lee Jones is good in it, but I always felt it was a little low-key for a film about a damn volcano. It erupts in the middle of the city and it just feels unexciting at times. I guess I wanted the San Andreas version of Pompeii. Wouldn't mind watching it again. B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Last edited by Algren on Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:15 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I find it very dull beyond a competent performance by Jones and a few cool-for-the-late-'90s F/X shots. Dante's Peak is much more atmospheric and exciting.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:26 am
On autopilot for the summer

Very unmemorable. There is a few decent sequences, but overall pretty meh. I agree Dante's Peak is better because of better plotting. I'll take Daylight over both of them.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:39 am
now we know

Thegun wrote:
I'll take Daylight over both of them.

:thumbsup:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:42 am
Profile WWW

Algren wrote:
Thegun wrote:
I'll take Daylight over both of them.

:thumbsup:

I think what I love most about it is during the time when every disaster film was obsessed with so much destruction, Daylight is very contained. Not say that film doesn't have numerous problems. Its a B disaster film that just owns it.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:47 am
Keeping it Light

I gotta see it again to properly grade it, but from the time I remember watching it I share David's opinion on this film.

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:50 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

This has all the elements of a good disaster film aside from building good tension or atmosphere. Also the characters aren't build enough to root for them aside from Jones's family. Jones does a decent job here but the rest of the cast is bland and boring even Heche. Its also not very re-watchable but if you have free time.

4/10

Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:45 am
Cream of the Crop

The weaker of '97's volcano movies. *C-*

Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:04 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I recently watched this again and maybe because I was into the mood of disaster films but this was good and over the time I appreciate this more than Dante's Peak as well. The premise is useless but the setup before is good. It has good scale and even though the final Volcano scene is a dud the first outbreak is done really well. It needed more edge of your seat thrills scenes and the ones that they do add are clear script manipulation of the lava rather than organically something that story needed.

Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:10 pm
We had our time together

I was 11 when I saw this in theaters and I remember how much I loved it back then. It got immediately my #1 favorite of all-time for like 2 weeks or so, lol.

Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:39 am
Profile WWW

At least it has one of the most ridiculously Bad deaths of all time, subway sacrifice and Jones in slow motion outrunning a huge skyscraper falling on him

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]