Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 86%  86%  [ 6 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping

Quote:
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping is a 2016 American mockumentary comedy film written, produced by and starring Andy Samberg, Akiva Schaffer and Jorma Taccone, and directed by Schaffer and Taccone. Also produced by Judd Apatow, it co-stars Tim Meadows and Imogen Poots. The film is scheduled to be released on June 3, 2016 by Universal Pictures.

Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
Despite choosing an easy target for satire, Popstar was still pretty good fun. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Akiva Schaffer and Jorma Taccone taking a turn out in front of the cameras. *B*

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:47 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Once you get past the fact that this is one of the silliest movies ever and doesn't take itself seriously at all, it's actually pretty damn hilarious and gets a lot right about pop culture in today's society. Not all of the jokes land and there are a few slow spots, but when this movie hits the mark it's one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while. The songs are all hilarious as well. Samberg, Taccone, and Schaffer give it their all and almost all of the celebrity cameos work (and it's best if you aren't spoiled by them - some of the biggest names who show up aren't featured in the trailer). It's just a great time at the movies. B+

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:12 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

That scene with the bees that's all dialogue over a black screen was SO FUNNY. And Mariah Carey's cameo was amazing.

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:13 pm
Profile YIM
why so serious?

It's a guilty pleasure if ever there was one. Given the cinematic track record of the members of The Lonely Island behind the camera - the hit-and-miss MacGruber and the mostly horrifically unfunny Hot Rod - I went into Popstar with some hesitation, even despite the surprisingly strong critical reviews. The final product may be paper-thin in substance, but it's consistently funny and doesn't wear out its welcome. The songs are funny (at times hysterically so, and reminiscent of the work that the group did for SNL digital shorts during Andy Samberg's time on the show), Samberg's over-the-top portrayal of the egotistical musician of the title has just the right doses of vain hollowness and occasional hidden depths to register well with viewers, and the jokes come at such a quick clip that another laugh isn't too far away if a gag bombs.

B

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:53 pm
Extraordinary

thought the trailers were pretty terrible but this was better than I expected. Not great but I laughed a bit. The TMZ gag LOL

Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:32 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

All the scenes with the TMZ staff members were hilarious.

Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:06 am
Profile YIM
Sbil

Agreeably silly and occasionally hilarious, but there are honestly just as many jokes that fall flat as there are successful ones. B-

Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:03 pm
The Kramer

I laughed most at the "Equal Rights" video. Not gay! The camera missing the fight with the bees was pretty hilarious as was Hunter being unable to find his own documentary. The rest of the songs are pretty funny too.

There just wasn't enough material for a full movie and the movie drags alot because of it. It falls back on "look at the celebrity" humor way too much. Which is a shame as I love Lonely Island and count Hot Rod among my favorite comedies.

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:43 am
Keeping it Light

Has enough funny stuff in it. Nice take on celebrity stuff and the music industry. Ekes out to be among the funnier films this year.

B+

Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:07 pm
Forum General

Well that was a pleasant surprise. Nothing made me laugh harder than the CMZ stuff and the Bee scene, but it's actually pretty consistent throughout. The cameos all worked and are hilarious, although it still suffers from not having enough material to justify a full length film.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:58 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Gets a lot of laughter even if the main story does not always work. Samberg and the supporting cast are great in here. The songs are also very catchy and nice.

B

Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]