Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Me Before You 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Me Before You 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Me Before You
Me Before You

Quote:
Me Before You is an upcoming American romantic drama film directed by Thea Sharrock and adapted by Jojo Moyes from her 2012 novel of the same name. The film stars Emilia Clarke, Sam Claflin, Jenna Coleman, Charles Dance, Matthew Lewis, Ben Lloyd-Hughes and Janet McTeer. The film is scheduled to be released by Warner Bros. on June 3, 2016.

Tue May 17, 2016 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Me Before You
Decent, although it's very formulaic. Clarke gives a pretty good performance. The character could've been extremely annoying but she finds a nice balance that makes her likable. The chemistry between her and Claflin is good too, the development of the relationship near the end could've been handled better though.

At the screening they handed out tissues. I did get teary eyed once lol.

Wed May 18, 2016 12:34 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was a total delight and completely charming. It totally felt more Richard Curtis than Nicholas Sparks and was mostly lighthearted despite the turn into melodrama near the end. It does follow a very specific formula (borrowing heavily from Beauty and the Beast at points) but it works as well as it does thanks to winning performances. Emilia Clarke is wonderful here - this is the kind of movie she should be doing - she's incredibly likable and charismatic and so much better than she was in Terminator last year. Sam Claflin is also great and the two share a really believable chemistry that helps guide the movie through its schmaltzier moments. It also isn't a total downer and has its fair share of funny scenes. It's a definite crowdpleaser and I wouldn't be surprised if it's a major sleeper hit. A-

The biggest complaint I had was the top-40 soundtrack that seemed to be dominated by Imagine Dragons songs or clones of them. They were too on-the-nose and unnecessary.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:40 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is also better and more believable than The Fault In Our Stars, IMO. I cared more about the main characters here.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:41 pm
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

It partially works because of Clarke and Claflin. They have good chemistry. It's a shame that the movie almost does nothing with it. Claflin's character says he fell in love with Clarke's the moment he saw her (or something to that effect). The movie doesn't shownusbthat though. Smitten? Yeah, maybe, but it takes 90 minutes of a 110 minute movie for them to kiss and fall and love. That's way too much time. And then he dies. Why am I supposed to be in tears again? (It worked enough on my audience though)

And another thing. Traynor says he hates who he is now because he lived life to the fullest. The only clue we get of that is him running into the middle of traffic (idiot) and a video set to the James Bond theme of him doing various activities. Great. It's not like he was a world class athlete. He's just a wealthy businessman and an asshole (he admits as much during their dance). So those two brief moments aren't enough, especially since that's why he's on a mission to kill himself. We're told that it's a struggle to be paralyzed, and of course we can rightfully assume it is, but it would've been a great benefit dramatically and could've given the ending even more weight, if we had seen him struggle. He catches pneumonia, but there's not enough melodramatic struggle. He actually rarely shows any emotion. I wonder what a paralyzed person would think of Will Traynor. He's not exactly a beacon of hope. Which means the movie is really nothing more than a tear manufactuary.

But Emilia Clarke, man she just lights up every scene she's in. And I really liked spending time with her family. And as I said, even though the movie pretty much wastes their chemistry, Clarke and Claflin work well together. The script just gives them nothing to do.

C

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Also, dumb question: At one point we get a shot of Will's wrists being scarred up indicating that he at one point tried to kill himself. How did he do that exactly? Someone obviously helped him? Was it his nurse (that guy who is always there)? How hasn't he been fired? Was it a previous caregiver?

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:09 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Magnus wrote:
I still don't get how this story gets away with its "id rather kill myself than live with a disability with people I love and who love me". The male interest is a fucking bum.

I have a friend who recently committed suicide for this very reason.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:13 am
You must have big rats

Haven't seen the film yet (know about the plot of the book, though) and to Magnus: I would definitely want that too. No fucking way I want to live paralyzed, give no fuck about anyone else in that case. I mean The Sea Inside (which is based on a true story) is basically the same idea. Bardem's character was loved, yet he still wanted to die and rightfully so.

Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:32 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I never said it was acceptable, or right. But that doesn't make the ending unrealistic or whatnot.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:39 pm
why so serious?

Me Before You works best as a showcase for its lead actress, Emilia Clarke. With a formulaic story whose every twist and turn a reasonably savvy moviegoer will be able to see coming a mile away, the heaviest demand for making the proceedings worthwhile falls to the actors. In every single scene in which she appears, Clarke is more than up to the challenge with a bright, winsome performance. It would be all too easy for an actress to hide behind this character's eccentricities, but Clarke makes her character's quirkiness feel lived-in, which makes her more dramatic shift in outlook in the third act feel both believable and meaningful. She also has a clear spark with Sam Claflin, who unfortunately doesn't get a particularly well-written character to work with (he's a pretty flat guy whose world-weariness the script draws only in broad strokes). They click well, and that chemistry helps the film to earn the manipulation it ultimately turns to in its final 20 minutes.

B

Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:20 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

It's amazing how much better and more comfortable Emilia Clarke seems in this role as opposed to last year's Terminator. Her team should take note.

Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:36 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

A tender, warmly drawn adaptation of the book with a sparkling lead performance from Emilia Clarke. Sam Claflin is good as well, and the two have definite chemistry. It treats the film's central conceit with respect without taking any kind of stance on the morality aspect of it at all. Oh, and it made me cry. Because obviously. B+

Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:04 pm
You must have big rats

Magnus wrote:
Oh it's realistic. I'm just saying that it's not a good message at all.

So you think the true story behind The Sea Inside is not a good message at all either?

Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Being completely paralyzed like say, Stephen Hawking, I could maybe understand suicide. But I don't think simply being unable to walk is suicide worthy.

Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:13 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Have you ever been unable to walk for the rest of your life?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:16 pm
Wallflower

zwackerm wrote:
Being completely paralyzed like say, Stephen Hawking, I could maybe understand suicide. But I don't think simply being unable to walk is suicide worthy.

But this character was an adventurer. He loved living. He can no longer do the things he really loves or be who he is. It's his life and I personally believe a person should have the right to end their life in situations like this. Even if you don't agree it's a book/movie. It's about one person's decision to end their life. I applaud them for such a bold ending.

Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:22 am
You must have big rats

Magnus wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus wrote:

So you think the true story behind The Sea Inside is not a good message at all either?

I haven't seen that film. A film/story can have whatever message it wants, whether it's fiction or non-fiction. I just think the message that suicide is an acceptable option for disable people is in most cases (obviously there are some extremes), not a good message to have unless it's meant to be more of a cautionary tale.

Here's a short read-up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram%C3%B3n_Sampedro

Your life belongs to you and no one else. And if you are of sound mind (i.e. not suffering from depression or other mental illnesses) and you want to end it, it is every bit your right to do so.

Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:24 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Chippy wrote:
Have you ever been unable to walk for the rest of your life?

No, but there are tons of people who deal with it. He can still use his other body parts.

I can understand why someone would feel that way, but I don't support suicide in a case like this. Or really ever.

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:45 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

"There are tons of people who deal with it" is such an idiotic argument. You do realize every person is different, right?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:21 am
Cream of the Crop

Not much to this one, very slight. Fortunately the two leads were beautiful, so that helped pass the flat spots in the script. Also, I'm glad they went with the happy ending. It would have been too sad to see him talked into a life of suffering just to please his six month attendant. *C+*

Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:48 pm
New Server, Same X

Can we stop debating the dark subject matter of the film and comment on how radiant and effervescent Emilia Clarke is in the movie?! #ReadingThesaurus #NewServerSameX

Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:51 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I've never seen Clarke in anything. But I've grown to adore her.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:05 am
Cream of the Crop

Chippy wrote:
I've never seen Clarke in anything. But I've grown to adore her.

I saw her in Terminator and thought she was great, especially her American accent.

Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:13 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was a decent experience though not much of a tearjerker as I expected. Reminded me a lot of The Love Story though that was miles ahead of this. The chemistry between leads is good and Clarke does great mostly but there are certain scenes that made her look like a new actress that needs more experience. Like the beach scene for instance when she is sitting and convincing on his lap she tries too much, the camera tries to hide but you can sense they are shying away from her. Other than that she really lifts up the movie mostly on her hands. Claflin does fine but his role is too one-dimensional and nothing that can prove his acting chops. He does a decent job of being the eye-candy who wishes to end his life. The character as such is also not very convincing because not much is explained about his motivation or medical condition. The premise had more potential but it doesn't do much with the set-up.

The film has a charm though and the backdrops from the house to rest of the scenery are really nice. The film is also carried by the chemistry and good supporting cast, specially the family side story. I liked how they ended the movie and felt that if it was a bit short at the ending. The middle act has this will-he-won't-he thing and a little spillover to the third act of this essence would be nice, maybe even till the ending.

6/10

Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:33 am
Forum General

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus wrote:

I haven't seen that film. A film/story can have whatever message it wants, whether it's fiction or non-fiction. I just think the message that suicide is an acceptable option for disable people is in most cases (obviously there are some extremes), not a good message to have unless it's meant to be more of a cautionary tale.

Here's a short read-up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram%C3%B3n_Sampedro

Your life belongs to you and no one else. And if you are of sound mind (i.e. not suffering from depression or other mental illnesses) and you want to end it, it is every bit your right to do so.

Yep, it's a personal value judgment.

Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next