Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Green Room 

What grade would you give this film?
A 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Green Room 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Green Room
Green Room

Quote:
Green Room is a 2015 American horror-thriller film written and directed by Jeremy Saulnier. The film stars Anton Yelchin, Imogen Poots, Alia Shawkat, and Patrick Stewart. The plot follows a punk band who find themselves at the mercy of a group of neo-Nazi skinheads after witnessing a murder at a remote club in the Pacific Northwest. Filming began in October 2014 in Portland, Oregon. It was screened in the Directors' Fortnight section at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival. The film was released in a limited release on April 15, 2016 by A24 Films.

Mon May 02, 2016 1:05 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: Green Room
Punk music and Nazism have always shared an uncomfortable relationship, from the use of the swastika as a fashion statement (easily misinterpreted even if done with irony) to the very image of angry, antisocial white men with heavy boots and shaved heads smashing into one another on the dance floor. This dynamic comes to a head in Green Room, a lean and nasty suspense film focused a touring hardcore group imprisoned in a remote nightclub by a neo-Nazi gang after one band-mate sees the aftermath of a murder. The film falls slightly short of transcendence (and Blue Ruin, director Jeremy Saulnier's highly disciplined and searing prior feature)—there are one too many cuts away from the title space, including the introduction of a slightly confusing subplot involving discord and potential betrayal among the skinheads—but it is a well-executed genre exercise with a novel concept and a palpable sense of blood-and-sweat dread.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon May 02, 2016 10:27 pm
You must have big rats

And not a single mention of Patrick Stewart, David?!

Tue May 03, 2016 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

He is solid, though I never found him as frightening/imposing as I hoped.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue May 03, 2016 8:43 pm
loyalfromlondon

nazi punks fuck off!

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu May 05, 2016 4:22 pm
Wallflower

I thought it was very good. There's not much to it but it's a solid, nasty little thriller. I had a good time with it. Not really sure where the praise for Stewart comes from. Is it just because he's playing against type? Because honestly he's good but nothing special here.

8/10 (B+)

Mon May 16, 2016 3:51 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

A nice, small chilling horror flick. Imogen Poots continues to prove she can be the best thing about the films she is in.

Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

my man

Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:51 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I liked it, but I do think this was a bit over hyped, especially in the gore department. There's some brutal/gruesome stuff for sure, but there was nothing that really impressed me. The cast is solid, although there aren't any standouts. Stewart was solid, but nothing more and it seemed like he was barely in the film anyways. It's sad that this is Anton Yelchin's last film. His character was the most likable and the guy could definitely act.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:03 pm
The Wall

**1/2 / ***** (C-)

It's very aptly made. It's well acted. But the whole thing is just very bland. It's not boring and it's not a hard watch, but throughout the movie my whole reaction to it could be capture by "meh".

The very simple story might be the movie's biggest asset and its biggest problem. It definitely makes it easier to make a more cohesive, well acted, well filmed movie when you're having a simple story/idea, but if its not a particularly strong idea (and we've seen this type of story many times on screen before, hence there's a "been there, done that" feeling) then the whole thing might come out as bland. Which it did here.

Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

This is a good follow-up to Blue Ruin by Jeremy Saulnier. It wasn't as suspenseful a siege as I'd hoped, but the violence, when it happens, is awesome. Something is off, though. The film didn't feel right for me. It is a fairly simple story that is often (especially early on) made difficult for the viewer to understand why things are happening the way they are (because of underhand dialogue, or withheld back story). It also seemed that if they wanted to they could have easily kicked open the door and killed them all. American neo-Nazis seem rather tame too. I didn't at any point feel the fear or dread of the characters. Other points of interest: Patrick Stewart didn't impress. The film has gore, but is devoid of suspense, and while I enjoyed seeing Macon Blair, he doesn't do much. Poots is fine, but Yelchin should have been recast.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This has to be one of the year's most overrated films. For about 40 minutes it's unspeakably boring, and then when it eventually gets started and manages to build some momentum it just ends. I found the dialogue pretentious and needlessly confusing and hated all the characters. There are a few well-choreographed scenes and the thing overall is well shot but this movie is not nearly as cool or stylish as it seems to think it is. C-

Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:12 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

Agreed. It is overrated and disappointing too.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:00 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Finally saw this, pretty disappointed. It's not bad but neither the story or characters were engaging, although the image of the hacked arm is definitely memorable...

Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]