Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Demolition 

What grade would you give this film?
A 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
C 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Demolition 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Demolition
Demolition

Quote:
Demolition is a 2015 American comedy-drama film directed by Jean-Marc Vallée and written by Bryan Sipe. The film stars Jake Gyllenhaal, Naomi Watts, and Chris Cooper. The film was selected to open the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival before getting a wide release on April 8, 2016, by Fox Searchlight Pictures.

Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:09 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Demolition
october sky 2: midlife crisis

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:16 pm
Sbil

I'll give Demolition credit for not following a standard narrative and trying to present a unique take on its plot. However, the film is a wildly uneven mixed bag, largely thanks to a muddled screenplay that doesn't seem to be sure of what it's trying to say. At times, it comes across as if screenwriter Bryan Sipe watched Bradley Cooper's performance in Silver Linings Playbook and decided to build an offshoot of that character. The film's biggest asset is the versatile Jake Gyllenhaal, who delivers another excellent performance in a movie that doesn't really deserve it. C+

Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:13 pm
Superman: The Movie

Depressed Jake Gyllenhaal makes me feel sleepy.

** (C)

At least he got his $1.25 back.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I liked the idea of the overall movie but the screenplay doesn't allow any room for this to become good. Jake to no ones surprise gives an excellent performance though I'd like to see him more in comedic roles or even out and out comedy. The relationships are under-cooked and characters are just thrown together without much introduction before or resolution after specially Karen (Watts does good). The second hospital scene must have gone through a lot of changes as its badly cut and a mess. Ending leaves much to be desired and no specific reason for the patch with FIL ;)

6/10. C

Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:39 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I liked this a lot, actually. It was pretty involving and Jake Gyllenhaal was fantastic. I didn't think that Naomi Watts's character made a whole lot of sense but she was quite good as well. B+

Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:26 am
Profile YIM
Keeping it Light

This is a very solid drama. It isn't particularly strong in any area, but overall gets lifted by a very good Gyllenhaal. The film nicely comes around full circle and it's the events towards the end that bring some life into it. I enjoyed watching Gyllenhaal's emotional cycle and most of the supporting cast is good too. Watts character was a bit off for me, but it meshed well enough with the film. Not as deep as I would have liked, but still the best pure drama I've seen this year.

B/ B+

Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:09 pm
now we know

Gyllenhaal strikes again. I loved this film. It is more about the journey than the destination, and waiting for the arrival of the correct, previously-absent emotion, but it is gripping from start to finish. Demolition is a raw, beautifully crafted breakdown. It is quite moving at times but also humorous. Marvelous performances by Jake Gyllenhaal, Chris Cooper, Judah Lewis, and Naomi Watts. And the soundtrack is superb and fitting.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]