Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Mei ren yu (The Mermaid) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Mei ren yu (The Mermaid) 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Mei ren yu (The Mermaid)
Mei ren yu (The Mermaid)

Quote:
The Mermaid (Chinese: 美人鱼) is a 2016 Chinese-Hong Kong science fiction fantasy romantic comedy film directed, co-written, and co-produced by Stephen Chow. It stars Deng Chao, Show Luo, Zhang Yuqi, and Lin Yun as the titular character "Mermaid". The film tells the the story of a playboy businessman (Deng Chao) who falls in love with a mermaid (Lin Yun) that was sent to assassinate him.

It was released in China on February 8, 2016. Upon release, it broke numerous box office records such as the biggest opening day and the biggest single day gross through its seventh day of release and having the biggest opening week of all time in China. On February 19 it became the highest-grossing Chinese film of all time.

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:55 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Mei ren yu (The Mermaid)
It has charm, laughs and the message about the environment isn't too overbearing. The romance aspect is incredibly rushed though.

Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:26 pm
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Mei ren yu (The Mermaid)
I'd been jonesing for a Stephen Chow fix and was sorry to hear he hasn't appeared in much since way back in his classic crossovers Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer, but after a decade+ I'll take what I can get, so I went to see The Mermaid. While there's still a decent serving of that broad Hong Kong humor, it's unfortunately too watered down with the environmental message. Lin Yun was delightful and showed solid comic chops as the title character. I would have liked to have seen another third of of the movie devoted to more romantic comedy with her and Deng Chao. Still I'm happy I saw it, but it's no challenger to Chow's masterpieces noted above. *B*

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]