Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 How to Be Single 

What grade would you give this film?
A 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
C 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

How to Be Single 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post How to Be Single
How to Be Single

Quote:
How to Be Single is a 2016 American romantic comedy film directed by Christian Ditter and written by Abby Kohn and Marc Silverstein, based on the novel of the same name by Liz Tuccillo. Starring Dakota Johnson, Rebel Wilson, Alison Brie, and Leslie Mann, the film is scheduled for a February 12, 2016 release by Warner Bros. Pictures, New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:14 am
Profile WWW
---------

Post Re: How to Be Single
Rebel Wilson, Leslie Mann, Jake Lacy, and Jason Mantzoukas all kill it. Dakota Johnson is fine as the lead.

B+

Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:06 am
Sbil

Cute and enjoyable, and I definitely enjoyed the film's message of self-worth in yourself rather than defining yourself by romantic relationships.

My biggest complaint is that Alison Brie's character is pointless and has no connection to any of the other three main women. I love Brie, but she could've been cut from this movie with no ill effect. B

Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:14 pm
loyalfromlondon

Libs wrote:
self-worth in yourself

redundant phrase is redundant

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:04 pm
now we know

:funny:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:40 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

It's enjoyable. It benefits from being one of the most well-cast movies of its type in recent memory - the entire ensemble is a who's who of great young comedic talent. It also has a fun sensibility to it and a sweet spirit. But this movie is also a bit of a mess. Alison Brie, while as charming as ever, has absolutely no point in this movie. I was wondering why she was barely featured in the advertising and it's obvious now why. Her storyline doesn't connect to the other characters at all aside from the fact that they both know Anders Holm, and she never once interacts with the other three women. I thought it would be leading to some kind of resolution but it didn't and the whole thing just felt very sloppy. There are also quite a few subplots that are thrown in there for dramatic effect that don't quite work. A subplot with Damon Wayans Jr. is well-performed but feels out of place as well and his character isn't featured enough for his final scene to have any sort of impact. That being said, Dakota Johnson delivers a winning comedic performance - she's effortlessly charming and this sort of movie should be her wheelhouse from now on. I also highly enjoyed Leslie Mann's work here and she stole many scenes, and Jake Lacy was great as her love interest. Rebel Wilson was essentially playing a variation on the characters she's played before but she's fun and has some good one liners. I think it's worth checking out - it's a solid feel-good flick. B

Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:43 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

I saw it opening night and highly enjoyed it. Dakota Johnson is adorable and Jake Lacy is so funny and charming. Wilson and Mann are also fun. Alison Brie, on the other hand, served no purpose in the film. She felt so disconnected from the other characters.

Anyway, really fun movie with a great message. Loved the ending.

8/10 (B+)

Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:43 am
Cream of the Crop

How To Be Single turned out to be a very good rom-com with an interesting anti-romantic spin. I really liked Dakota Johnson's performance here, she seems to have a flair for comedy and is a much better actress than the interent prattlers would have you believe. And I haven't nearly gotten tired of Rebel Wilson yet. The one weakness of the movie to me was that it had one too many storylines (or they weren't managed optimally by the writer). I think I would have cut (or tightened up) the Alison Brie story. *A-*

Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:17 am
Keeping it Light

The film overall, mostly pretty bad.

MGKC wrote:
Rebel Wilson, Leslie Mann, Jake Lacy, and Jason Mantzoukas all kill it. Dakota Johnson is fine as the lead.

There's truth in this though, although I couldn't care for Lacy, Johnson is great and really carries the film.

There's also plenty of laughs in the film that I enjoyed, but purely from the script and story telling perspective it's so thin. There's a few recognizable things, and it isn't all too predictable, but it's such a chick-flick. It draws similarities to He's Just Not That Into You , but that I found a much better film.

C

Sat May 21, 2016 5:46 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I found it dull in some parts and slightly funny is rest but there were no LOL moments aside from the few in the trailers and even those you laugh out of familiarity. I loved the character of Jake Lacy and he does very well in this, Johnson does ok, Rebel and Leslie while funny are just playing a similar characters. Alison Brie looks hot and is given the best and different most character/storyline of the female leads. The funny moments are just not enough to carry the otherwise dull and lousy story/screenplay.

4/10.

Sat May 21, 2016 1:05 pm
Extraordinary

I enjoyed this a lot actually.

Sat May 21, 2016 5:53 pm
now we know

It's a typical date/rom/com movie, and it certainly thinks it is more important than it is by how it tries to wrap everything up at the end with its "being single is great, cherish it" bullshit. It has moments where it is good as it gives little cool tips on dating and stuff, but I dislike the whole casual dating and care-free lifestyle that the film condones. Leslie Mann is nice in it. Dakota Johnson is possibly the worst and most boring actress in the world. Rebel Wilson was a breath of fresh air. The film goes on too long and it's rather a drag because I couldn't care about any of characters at all. But Alison Brie in the St. Patrick's Day bra is amazing and worth watching.

C+

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun May 29, 2016 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Post Re:
Yeah Rebel had a good role in this too I thought.

And Alison Brie in the St. Patrick's Day bra is a highlight.

I think you're wrong about Dakota Johnson, but otherwise the film just doesn't hit any right notes.

Typical date/rom/com movie sums it up well.

Sun May 29, 2016 11:48 am
now we know

Where is your avatar? It looks familiar.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun May 29, 2016 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I was intrigued by it earlier. It is the Chigang Pagoda in Haizhu District.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun May 29, 2016 7:54 pm
now we know

Ah, in Guangzhou! Yes. Well that makes sense now.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun May 29, 2016 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

David wrote:
I was intrigued by it earlier. It is the Chigang Pagoda in Haizhu District.

Hehe, nice for David knowing/ finding out about it.

Thought to go a bit cultural here, and it really is a nice landmark in the city.

Mon May 30, 2016 1:02 am
now we know

You used the wikipedia image. :funny:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon May 30, 2016 1:32 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
Alison Brie in the St. Patrick's Day bra is amazing and worth watching.

By far the best thing about the film.

Mon May 30, 2016 5:25 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I liked it, it was quite endearing. The characters were likable, the acting was good, and I liked the premise. I just felt great watching it. But it lacked dramatic heft and it wasn't that funny outside of Rebel Wilson. But on a pure enjoyment standpoint, its great. I also didn't mind alison Bire's character being in the film.

B+

Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]