Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 The Danish Girl 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
C 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

The Danish Girl 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Danish Girl
The Danish Girl

Quote:
The Danish Girl is a 2015 American/British biographical drama film directed by Tom Hooper, based on the 2000 novel of the same name by David Ebershoff. The film stars Eddie Redmayne as Lili Elbe, one of the first known recipients of sex reassignment surgery, Alicia Vikander as Gerda Wegener, along with Matthias Schoenaerts as Hans Axgil and Ben Whishaw as Henrik.

It was screened in the main competition section of the 72nd Venice International Film Festival, and it was shown in the Special Presentations section of the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival. The film is scheduled to be released in a limited release on November 27, 2015 by Focus Features.

Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:13 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Danish Girl
This was really great. Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander are both sensational and should be locks for Oscar nominations. They have a really believable chemistry and the relationship between the two of them is beautiful. Vikander in particular is the standout of the two in my opinion (and is also very much a co-lead, it's absurd she's being placed in supporting categories in awards predictions because her and Redmayne basically have equal screentime). It's also gorgeous on a visual level with stunning cinematography. A-

Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:54 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

This was quite dull and remarkably uninteresting considering its subject matter. Tom Hooper directs the film with no sense of urgency or rhythm; it just lurches along and goes through the motions. Eddie Redmayne tries and ultimately doesn't succeed in bringing the emotional pathos one would expect. Alicia Vikander is much better, doing what she can with a shoddily written role (and she honestly may have more screen time than Redmayne does). I don't know how they got this so wrong. The film is superficial and obvious, brings nothing new to the table, and does not earn the tears it tries to wring out of the audience. C-

Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:13 pm
Iron Man

Libs wrote:
This was quite dull and remarkably uninteresting considering its subject matter. Tom Hooper directs the film with no sense of urgency or rhythm; it just lurches along and goes through the motions. Eddie Redmayne tries and ultimately doesn't succeed in bringing the emotional pathos one would expect. Alicia Vikander is much better, doing what she can with a shoddily written role (and she honestly may have more screen time than Redmayne does). I don't know how they got this so wrong. The film is superficial and obvious, brings nothing new to the table, and does not earn the tears it tries to wring out of the audience. C-

I was about to write a review, but you said it perfectly. This is exactly how I felt.

Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:55 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

I thought it was done quite well but it is surprising how much of a backseat Redmayne's performance is (he does just fine) compared to Vikander's who continues to have an amazing year. Heard, Schoenaerts, and Whishaw also do a fantastic job I think the film did a good job centering on the psychology of the matter rather than the outside world's opinion on transgender issues. The film also has some very beautiful shots.

Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:37 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Is Amber Heard in it a decent amount?

Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:12 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Magic Mike wrote:
Is Amber Heard in it a decent amount?

For the first half, briefly in the second

Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:25 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

In 1920s Copenhagen, the bohemian life of husband-and-wife artists Einar and Gerda Wegener (Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander) is upended when he decides to explore his long-guarded femininity. Playful experimentation leads to an existential revelation: he is a woman imprisoned inside a man's body. He later becomes an early subject of sex-reassignment surgery, then in its infancy. This is an elegant, small, and well-acted drama. It may be criticized for its relative reluctance to intimately dramatize transgender psychology beyond Einar's nearly totemic embrace of female attire and poise, but it is a poignant testament to the importance of love and solidarity during such a transition. There are is a key moment when Einar, halting and slightly pained, explains his belief he is a woman born in male form, and Gerda rapidly declares, "I believe it, too." A significant peripheral pleasure is the lush recreation of both seaside Copenhagen and slightly-post-Belle-Epoque Paris.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:53 am
Extraordinary

I quite liked this. Redmayne is incredibly good here, he totally would win the Oscar for this if he didn't win last year. Vikander matches him luminously.

Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:09 am
Sbil

Am I the only one who thinks Redmayne was straight up bad in this? What hammy, superficial "acting."

Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:08 pm
Iron Man

It's a very affected performance that is built on a superficial idea of femininity. He uses the same hand movements repeatedly, constantly blushing and speaking in a whispery voice. There is no nuance or depth whatsoever.

Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:56 pm
Pure Phase

I enjoyed his performance.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:01 pm
Extraordinary

I thought he was terrific. *shrug*

Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:26 pm
Hold the door!

The same people that will hate on him here hated on him last year and he won.

Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:25 am
Sbil

zwackerm wrote:
The same people that will hate on him here hated on him last year and he won.

Well I thought he was great in Theory of Everything but terrible in this. Largely for the reasons Renton described.

Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:40 am
Devil's Advocate

For me the most unbearable watch of the year, this is as shameless as it gets Oscar bait wise. After he starts dressing like a woman it feels like 90 minutes of every scene between Redmayne and Vikander having them on the verge of tears and really trying to win an Oscar and it just made me numb to everything and super bored. Vikander gave a good performance but the role was wrong, with Redmayne at such a high level of thirst the wife needed to be grounded, Vikander plays the role like a movie star doing sexy charismatic things and the combination of that and Redmayne, who was excellent but obviously acting, drive the film into the oblivion where I couldn't believe either as people. Overall this was a disaster

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:07 am
You must have big rats

Another film with Redmayne being outacted by his female co-star.

Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:06 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

While certainly a true story worth telling, the style of the movie was all just a little too precious. I understand the reason the director went this way, but it just didn't really work for me. The Danish Girl is a movie I admire rather than love. *B-*

Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:50 pm
You must have big rats

What Redmayne does here is the Oscar-bait equalivalent of going full retard.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Dr. Lecter wrote:
What Redmayne does here is the Oscar-bait equalivalent of going full retard.

I actually think his performance is the worst to be nominated for an Oscar in at least the last 20 years. Worse than Sean Penn in I Am Sam.

I hate that Alicia Vikander is probably going to win the Oscar for this, but at least her performance is mostly competent.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:30 am
You must have big rats

Vikander is great here, though she is certainly not supporting.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I liked this. I'm not really a pro trans movement type of person, but I certainly felt for Redmayne's character. The most powerful scene was when he was in front of the mirror, disgusted by his penis. I never knew this about trangenders. It is also quite sad that he dies in the end. Vikander is good as well, and the film is beautiful to look at as many have said. This was reall enjoyable, and I don't understand the negative reviews here.

B+

Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]