Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 American Ultra 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
B 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9

American Ultra 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post American Ultra
American Ultra

Quote:
American Ultra is an upcoming 2015 American action comedy film directed by Nima Nourizadeh and written by Max Landis. The film stars Jesse Eisenberg, Kristen Stewart, Topher Grace, Connie Britton, Walton Goggins, John Leguizamo, Bill Pullman, and Tony Hale, and is scheduled to be released on August 21, 2015, by Lionsgate.

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: American Ultra
I actually kind of loved this. Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart (who is at the top of her game here) share a wonderful chemistry and the movie overall is a ton of fun. I was surprised by how heartfelt and romantic it was. It was also super violent and pretty funny. Connie Britton was also great in a supporting turn here. I know it's going to not do well at all but it definitely should become a cult classic and I would love a sequel.

A-

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:30 am
Profile YIM WWW
Pure Phase

A frequently stoned convenience-store employee (Jesse Eisenberg) and his girlfriend (Kristen Stewart) find their uneventful West Virginia existence upended when he realizes he is a lethal CIA assassin left inactivated and in the cold for years without any memory of his recruitment and training. Now an icily avaricious agency suit (Topher Grace) is targeting former assets as part of an overall power play, and the couple is forced to go on the lam. American Ultra blends the espionage-and-amnesia concept of The Bourne Identity—most of the story even transpires in the fictional town of Liman, W.V., surely a nod to "Identity" director Doug—with Pineapple Express-style humor and a madcap graphic-novel sensibility, and the result is hard to resist. The film's ability to navigate extreme tonal shifts with ease and grace is almost astounding. The hyper-violent action sequences are exciting and pull no punches, particularly a fluidly-shot-and-cut finale in a big-box store which tops a similar set piece in last year's The Equalizer. The humor (ranging from observational to satirical) always connects, too, down to the last biting one-liner and subtle visual gag. And most importantly, Eisenberg and Stewart (reuniting after the widely well-regarded Adventureland) share a bright and genuine chemistry. The low-key, deeply sweet quality of early scenes depicting their half-baked-Americana love story is maintained throughout, deepening and bolstering the more outlandish and stylized elements.

A-

Even the end credits are awesome.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:17 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Kinda boring with gratuitous violence and Stewart playing herself. Not really any laughs or perhaps my audience was dead.

C

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

It's not a classic but I had a lot of fun with this.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:49 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Even with very few reviews, it can be considered a WOKJ favorite so far. Hope Caius is the anomaly.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:08 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

I can see myself being in the minority here. Maybe I have turned into a crotchety old man and films like this no longer appeal to me. Or maybe I just have bad taste.

Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:34 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

how lame is it that they are in Manilla at the end, and yet you see not a single Filipino? The fuck? They might as well have made the location subtitle anywhere else. That said the movie was enjoyable. Stewart finally gives a natural performance, good for her.

Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:41 am
Forum General

Eh I thought this was pretty mediocre. Eisenberg and Stewart have good chemistry, but I have seen them in much better movies. The action scenes are there, but I never found them that exciting with maybe the exception of the grocery/hardware store sequence at the end. I chuckled a few times, but I didn't think it was that funny overall. Topher Grace was a really annoying villain IMO and I wasn't a fan of how they made Walton Goggins into a dimwit henchman.

Also, Bill Pullman definitely deserves better roles than what he got here.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:39 pm
Keeping it Light

From the get-go it's one of the better films I've seen this year.
Eisenberg who plays the lead is good but it's the rest of the cast who nail their roles much more. Especially Stewart is really stands out. Further than that it's wacky in good way.
Nice dialogue, no-holds barred violence, and a Romeo + Juliet type romance in there that's quite endearing.
I wish the film was a bit faster paced, and it also doesn't show anything enlightening from a cinematographic or score standpoint. What does do is offer a blast, with good roles from everyone involved, except didn't like the Laugher character very much. Bill Pullman has the type of small role I really appreciate.
It's not a grand film, but it surprises with a wittingly written script full of pleasing action scenes.

B+

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:25 am
now we know

Very impressed with this. Eisenberg plays against form, and is brilliant. Stewart isn't a sulky bitch, and she's also brilliant. Props go to Nima Nourizadeh for turning a simple inactivated agent/love story plot into a stylish, hardcore, somewhat touching, often humorous, action spectacle.

A-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

American Ultra is a fun little film, but is short on verve. It clearly is aiming at a Crank-esque vibe, but ended up being just too darn pedestrian. I liked the actors performances here (though Topher Grace is well best his best-before date) and I would have loved to see some more of the end credits Astro Ape animation integrated throughout the movie. But all-in-all American Ultra performed well above it's pay grade. *B+*

Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:31 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I liked it but didn't love it. Stewart and Eisenberg have great chemistry and this definitely elevates the movie but the action scenes, scores, villains are not handled very well (probably due to lack of budget). These constraints takes out of a movie that's running on Xanax the whole time. Everything related to story feels rushed yet scenes are not well paced. There are some cool ideas and execution by Nima Nourizadeh is great. It also needed a lot more funny moments to call itself comedy. Its a fun action movie with a lot more potential though better than a lot yet there are even better options out there.

B

Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]