Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Mistress America 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Mistress America 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Mistress America
Mistress America

Quote:
Mistress America is a 2015 American comedy film directed by Noah Baumbach. It was written by Baumbach and Greta Gerwig. The film stars Gerwig, Lola Kirke, Heather Lind, and Cindy Cheung. The film is scheduled to be released on August 14, 2015, by Fox Searchlight Pictures.

Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Mistress America
This was fantastic and another winner from Noah Baumbach. He's starting to become one of my favorite filmmakers - I find his brand of humor so smart and relatable and biting. He's aided this time by a fantastic co-writer in Greta Gerwig and a winning cast. Gerwig is phenomenal and energetic, and remains a captivating screen presence. Her character reminded me of so many people I've met before and despite all the things she says and her self-centered nature thanks to Gerwig she is still very human. Lola Kirke is also lovely and the two have fantastic chemistry. Several moments of this movie are laugh-out-loud hilarious but I also think it's probably the Baumbach movie with the most heart. It really nails its depiction of female friendship and the ending is surprisingly touching. Highly recommended and one of my favorites this year. A

Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:53 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

Isolated in a new city, university freshman Tracy (Lola Kirke) reaches out to her soon-to-be-stepsister Brooke (co-writer-and-producer Greta Gerwig), a madcap and vivacious woman only too eager to position herself as a seasoned and urbane mentor to a fresh-faced, impressionable youth. However, Brooke's existence, including an ambitious plan to become a restaurateur, is rather precarious beneath the writ-large confidence and joie de vivre she projects. Mistress America is a charming wisp of a comedy by the talented duo of Gerwig and director Noah Baumbach, though obviously inferior to their past endeavors, Greenberg and Frances Ha. Both of those are wonderful and among the most memorable films of their respective years. This, their third collaboration, is in and out in under 90 minutes, never digs deeply into any particular theme, and at times seems unsure exactly how brash and broad its humor should be in relation to the more sensitive slice-of-life drama, but the film is still easily swept along by its general verve and a spry ensemble cast. In a way, it is a credit to Baumbach: a director's career is in a healthy place if a very minor outing is still largely delightful.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:27 pm
Pure Phase

The Nicolette (Jasmine Cephas Jones) character is a bit odd. She is just so thinly conceived and one-note: a roaring bitch who interprets everything as a sign of infidelity. It is strange how long she tags along without ever developing an arc or another dimension.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:30 pm
Extraordinary

I thought this was pretty charming, just a notch under something really great but I enjoyed it very much. Didn't really buy Lola Kirke as an 18-year-old but she was very good.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:25 am
Devil's Advocate

This was entertaining as hell. I loved Tracy and Brooke's scenes together and then the long sequence at the house which reminded me of a play. With Frances Ha and Mistress America Baumbach finds his groove making movies about passing youth, expectations and alienation

Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:11 am
Wallflower

Loved this. It's one of the best comedies of the year. The music is great, as are the performances by Gerwig and Kirke. Funny and smart.

9/10 (A-)

Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]