Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The Diary of a Teenage Girl 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Diary of a Teenage Girl

Quote:
The Diary of a Teenage Girl is a 2015 American comedy-drama film, written and directed by Marielle Heller, based on the graphic novel The Diary of a Teenage Girl: An Account in Words and Pictures by Phoebe Gloeckner. The film stars Kristen Wiig, Alexander SkarsgÄrd, Bel Powley, Christopher Meloni, Quinn Nagle, and Austin Lyon. The film premiered at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival. The film is scheduled to be released in a limited release on August 7, 2015 by Sony Pictures Classics

Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Diary of a Teenage Girl
It's solid. I didn't think it was as amazing as some of the reviews are making it out to be. My biggest issue with it is that I fucking hated every character - all of them were horrible people and Minnie herself was hugely annoying, even though she was written that way. The dialogue at many points felt artificial to me and like it was trying too hard to be edgy. I could have also done without the whole "druggie" friend subplot which didn't add anything as well as the stupid acid trip scene. That being said all of the actors give it their all - Kristen Wiig delivers an expectedly winning performance and Bel Powley is definitely an interesting screen presence. The cinematography and soundtrack are also great. B-

Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:59 am
Profile YIM
Let's Call It A Bromance

The film is alright though nothing to write home about. The Minnie/Monroe storyline should have almost been just the first half of the movie as its continuing presence is a bit irksome. I wish Charlotte and Pascal's stories were explored a bit more in their relation to Minnie's growing up, also to because both actors are the best parts of the film and are underused. Everyone does do a good enough job with the acting and when the story hits its high points they are quite high. It just needed some fine tuning the initial stages and in the editing room.

Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

It wasn't perfect but it was an incredibly entertaining, well acted flick and very thought provoking as well.

A-

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
The Wall

*** / ***** (C)

This film is walking a thin line between teen sexual awakening and nymphomania. I don't think it has a good balance for its main theme subject. Starts good, but it becomes boring by the end.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]