Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Ip Man 2 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Ip Man 2 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Ip Man 2
Ip Man 2

Quote:
Ip Man 2 (classified under the name Ip Man 2: Legend of the Grandmaster in the US) is a 2010 Hong Kong biographical martial arts film loosely based on the life of Ip Man, a grandmaster of the martial art Wing Chun. A sequel to the 2008 film Ip Man, Ip Man 2 was directed by Wilson Yip and stars Donnie Yen, who reprises the leading role. Continuing after the events of the earlier film, the sequel centers on Ip's movements in Hong Kong, which is under British colonial rule. He attempts to propagate his discipline of Wing Chun, but faces rivalry from other practitioners, including the local master of Hung Ga martial arts.

Producer Raymond Wong first announced a sequel before Ip Man‍‍ '​‍s theatrical release in December 2008. For Ip Man 2, the filmmakers intended to focus on the relationship between Ip and his most famed disciple, Bruce Lee. However, they were unable to finalize film rights with Lee's descendants and decided to briefly portray Lee as a child. Principal photography for Ip Man 2 began in August 2009 and concluded in November; filming took place inside a studio located in Shanghai. For the sequel, Yip aimed to create a more dramatic martial arts film in terms of story and characterization; Wong's son, screenwriter Edmond Wong, wanted the film to portray how Chinese people were treated by the British and Western perceptions of Chinese martial arts.

Ip Man 2 is the second film in the "Ip Man" film series. It premiered in Beijing on 21 April 2010, and was released in Hong Kong on 29 April 2010. The film met with positive reviews, with particular praise for the film's storytelling and Sammo Hung's martial arts choreography. The film grossed over HK$13 million on its opening weekend, immediately surpassing Ip Man‍‍ '​‍s opening weekend gross. During its theatrical run, Ip Man 2 brought in over HK$43 million domestically, and its domestic theatrical gross made it the highest grossing Hong Kong film released during the first half of 2010. In total, Ip Man 2 grossed an estimated US$15 million worldwide.

Thu May 28, 2015 10:31 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: Ip Man 2
Well, having done boxing, kickboxing and pencal silat in the past (latter is the martial art you see in The Raid), I can tell you that while the Asian martial arts look fancy as hell in movies, boxing/kickboxing is far more effective than any of them, provided each fighter is equally skilled in their art. Pencal silat was way more fun to do and to train, but at the end of the day, nothing was as effective as a straight-up punch in the face, delivered with the strength of a well-trained boxer.

Thu May 28, 2015 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

The emotional and obviously the action build-up is much better here than the original, the later did a better job building the world and characters. This is less focused in terms of storyline but action scenes are MUCH better here than the last one which makes it a little better experience for me.

Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:22 am
Forum General

Easily my favorite movie in the franchise just for the combination of boxing and martial arts. I just loved seeing these massive, scary ass looking boxing dudes duke it out with these well trained martial artists. I also agree with Sparrow that it looked like the fight choreography was drastically better in this film as well even if I still thought it looked great in the first movie.

B+

Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]