Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Mommy (2014) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Mommy (2014) 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Mommy (2014)
Mommy

Quote:
Mommy is a 2014 Canadian drama film directed by Xavier Dolan. It was selected to compete for the Palme d'Or in the main competition section at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival, where it won the Jury Prize. It was selected as the Canadian entry for Best Foreign Language Film at the 87th Academy Awards, but was not nominated.

The film won nine Canadian Screen Awards at the 3rd Canadian Screen Awards in 2015, including Best Motion Picture and ten Jutra Awards at the 17th Jutra Awards, including Best Film.

Thu May 21, 2015 11:19 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Post Re: Mommy (2014)
The power of this film really snuck up on me. The kid in this movie is horrible and yells obscenities at his mother, gets physically violent with her, and he just has some serious issues. At first I hated him. But then he has these moments of vulnerability where you can kind of feel for him. And the strange thing is you know he actually does love his mom. He just has a fucked up way of showing it. The mother isn't perfect either. But as much of a handful as he is she loves him too. There are moments in this film that make me want to cry just thinking about them. I didn't even realize quite how powerful they were at the time. But now I can't stop thinking about the movie.

Something that really took getting used to is that the director chose to film in a 1:1 aspect ratio. So the image is just in the center of the screen. He chose to do this to allow focus on the characters and nothing else. No background distractions. Sounds gimmicky before you watch it and it is definitely hard to get into at first. But this really ends up working surprisingly well. Especially when there are times the image is expanded to full screen. Reminded me of A Single Man and its use of color in that respect. Here when things are good and hopeful the picture is in full. It's not often but happens a few times. The first time it does is just awesome the way it happens. And then later there's an absolutely beautiful moment with it that recalled the finale of Six Feet Under. The soundtrack is great too and utilized well. Suzanne Clement as their neighbor who comes to play an important part of their life is just wonderful. That would be one of my favorite supporting performances of 2014. All three leads are terrific. There is just so much to talk about with this film. It's beautiful and heartbreaking. It's so gorgeously filmed. There are some really lovely moments here. I don't think I'll be able to get it out of my head for a while. A travesty it wasn't nominated for Best Foreign Film at the Oscars.

One of the best films of 2014.

9/10 (A)

Thu May 21, 2015 2:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]