Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Furious 7 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 16

Furious 7 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Furious 7
Furious 7

Quote:
Furious 7 (alternatively known as Fast & Furious 7 and Furious Seven) is a 2015 American action film. It is the sequel to the 2013 film Fast & Furious 6 and the seventh installment in the Fast & Furious film series. The film was written by Chris Morgan and directed by James Wan. It stars Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Dwayne Johnson, Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster, Tyrese Gibson, Ludacris and Jason Statham. With the previous three installments being set between 2 Fast 2 Furious (2003) and The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006), Furious 7 is the first film of the series to mostly take place after Tokyo Drift.

The film marks the final appearance of Paul Walker, who died on November 30, 2013, with filming only half-completed. After Walker's death, filming was delayed for script re-writes, and his brothers Caleb and Cody Walker were used as stand-ins to complete his remaining scenes. Furious 7 was released on April 3, 2015. It is released in 3D internationally.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: Furious 7
Fast Five is still the best one but this was pretty enjoyable still. Needed more The Rock though but Tyrese's upgrade in screen time was enjoyable.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:07 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I was a bit disappointed in this but it was still quite a bit of fun. The big issue with this one is that it really starts to overstay it's welcome in the last 45 minutes or so. If it was tightened up a bit, I would have enjoyed it a lot more. Still, it was entertaining but not as good as the last two. The ending actually got me and was a beautiful send off to Paul Walker and his character, so much so I almost wanted to give the film a B.

B-

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

B

I had a lot of fun, but thinking on it, I liked FURIOUS 6, FAST FIVE, and TOKYO DRIFT more.

I think the film misuses Statham. He's established as an utter bad-ass, someone that could kill these people... and the film treats him like a gag. My smiles when he showed up grew smaller and smaller, and by the end of the film never once did I think he might actually take anyone out.

Beyond that, FAST FIVE and FURIOUS 6 both raise the stakes as they go along, leading to absolutely bonkers finales, whereas this... doesn't. Frankly, the Drones vs. Cars third act was dull.

But now I'm just being a grouch, because I laughed my ass off, clapped a bunch, had a great time, and might have even gotten misty-eyed.

(Are we allowed to talk about how obvious the Paul Walker CGI is? There I go being a grouch again...)

Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:00 pm
Superman: The Movie

Okay. You got me. If you're gonna beat me over the head for four movies, I'll submit.

This might be the most gleefully stupid blockbuster ever made. The plot makes no sense - the familyneeds to get the "God's Eye" in order to both track down Deckard Shaw (this is emphasized non-stop) and to keep him from getting it, which means they just need to wait for him to show up, and thankfully he ALWAYS DOES and always at the most random times - the movie has more of a creepy gaze than usual, there's not enough Rock, Tyrese is painfully unfunny, a terrorist helicopter can just fly and shoot missiles through downtown LA and only one cop car takes notice (though it's to stop a speeding car)...AMNESIA! And miraculously recovering from it!

But what it gets right? Oh boy...

THEY'RE FINALLY GOOD GUYS and not quite the ultimate douchebags
The Rock/Statham fight - I've never seen so much casual glass breaking.
The mountain chase (though I'll admit the movie peaks here)
Kurt Russell! "Escape" three please. And now! The man is still Snake.
Tony Jaa - Too slow
Flying cars - Why would a billionaire keep a car in his penthouse. Oh, because he can? Gotcha.
The street fight - Get hit by a wrench and you'll only bruise.
The stairwell fight!!!
Rock emerging from his hospital bed/ambulance
The camerawork!
James Wan!
The ending - It actually seems off from the rest of the film, though it's kind of hard criticize it for obvious reasons, but I had the feels.

Fuck it. I submit. Bring on "F8" in NY!

***½ (B+)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:44 pm
Profile WWW

Because I hated them in those movies.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:57 pm
Profile WWW

Magnus wrote:
Oh so you're a jabroni got it

Bro. :tears:

Magnus wrote:
Also you're a Boston sports fan. I would expect that your douchebag tolerance level to be much better than most.

Bro! :shades:

No, in all honesty there are two kinds of Boston sports fans. There's the good kind (me). And there's the other kind - the guys from Good Will Hunting/The Fighter/The Town from that specific part of Boston (Nawth) where no one else in the state talks or acts like them. The Northeast's equivalent to reneck, hillbilly, white trash jabroni flat cap wearing motherfuckers.

You get used to them after 27 years. But muscle-heads? It takes time.

Now if you don't hear from me for a few days, you'll know why.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Jmart wrote:
THEY'RE FINALLY GOOD GUYS and not quite the ultimate douchebags]

They were good guys in FURIOUS 6.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:21 pm

They still had the stink on them from the previous film.

In other words, you're right, but I finally warmed up to them here.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

In my opinion, it's a good thing for this film that it had the sublime Walker send-off (which literally kept me lying awake at night) because the film proper left a bad taste in my mouth. The formula is just showing too much: three or four action set-pieces buffeted by witty (or not) banter between the principals in the planning sessions beforehand. And I know complaining about the plot in these films is lol, but in the previous two this "heist" trilogy phase of the series the narrative actually flowed organically(especially in Five), however improbable/ridiculous the overall premise and stunts were. In this one the narrative thread between the set-pieces is embarrassingly thin, and that's putting it kindly. It also made absolutely no sense how Shaw showed up at the first two, and there's little tension in the final one because we don't really care about Honsou's terrorist character. (Although, there was, in fact, quite a bit of meta tension in the fact that we're not sure how Walker is going to be phased out at that point)

I would prefer the series end here with the Walker send-off--which will be legendary--but since that's not going to happen, I think it'd be cool if they did a "back-to-basics" approach with Part 8 and made it a street racing movie.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:53 pm
Extraordinary

I was disappointed with this as well. I loved the hell out of 6 when I saw it in theaters, this one was surprisingly tedious sometimes. I understand why the movie feels so sloppy with how they had to deal with Walker's passing but a lot of the time I found the action not very exciting.

The Walker send-off was well done. Had this been a film on par with 5 and 6 I would say end the series now but I don't mind them going forward if The Rock is utilized more and maybe they put some effort in the villains.

6>5>1>7>3>4>2

and omg the Tokyo Drift scene L O L. When they showed the clip from the movie and then you see Lucas Black in present time the audience I saw the movie with laughed, including me. They really should've made Tokyo Drift a standalone film so Han could still be part of the team.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:01 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Yes, Lucas Black from archive to present is the worst effect in the entire film. Also, they need to put the Rock, Kurt Russell, and Statham in a spinoff immediately (Call it Fast Forward.) Each completely shine, but are completely underutilized. I can't believe Dom wasn't drinking german ale at the end of the film!

The first half of the film is super fun and completely on point (Obviously after that is where Walker's death and rewrites took over) The rest starts to fall apart, and the Shaw/ Dom fight is a major letdown especially after his fight with the Rock. Also, is it that impossible to put blood or a wound on someone after they are hit by a wrench in the face or put head first through glass? And the Rock's incredible power of after breaking bones, just cracks them back into place afterwards. Walker's stand in was obvious (85 million well spent!) especially in the voice (Him doing CPR on Dom was super awkward with the screams that are obviously not him, sounded like a TBS dub of Bruce Willis in a Die Hard film.) And the CGI Walker was fine, but for some reason they gave him Jack Nicholson eyebrows giving him a creepy look.

Overall after first half is really good and on point with the other two good entries in the series. The rest is just kind of blah. B. Fun but super forgettable.

Walker's scenes are actually the best, especially the phone call and mountain scene. They're lucky they were able do a great amount of Walker's scenes beforehand. Otherwise, the effect would have really failed.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:54 pm

Also, if you play a drinking game where every time Diesel makes a "family" reference. You will die of alcohol poisoning. Seriously, He had a more diverse character as Groot.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:00 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I cried at the end of this movie. I honestly don't even know how someone couldn't be moved by the ending, fan of the franchise or not. Especially knowing how close Vin Diesel and Paul Walker are in real life, it was a really beautiful sendoff and the final title card got applause. I thought the movie was a total blast and enjoyed it just as much as the previous two (although I think they may have been a hair better). It's consistently exciting and the action sequences are incredibly well-staged and choreographed. Jason Statham makes an awesome addition and a badass villain. The scene that's been highlighted in the trailers with the race through the mountains is one of the most exciting action sequences I've seen in a while, and I also thought the drone attack on L.A. in the climax was a blast. The characters are also likable and relatable and I thought Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez in particular did great work. Dwayne Johnson is sidelined for a good portion of the running time but has an awesome re-emergence in the end, and Kurt Russell is a blast in a fun supporting role. Paul Walker is actually in almost all of the movie, which surprised me since he died halfway through filming - he's present for every major action sequence and the CGI work that was done is really only noticeable in two instances. They did a great job with that. I know they'll make an eighth film but if this was the last it would have been a great sendoff. The ending honestly makes the movie. A-

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:11 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

I enjoyed it, but I agree with the general consensus that it's not as good as Fast 5 or even Fast 6 which is surprising since I thought I would atleast like it more than that one. Jason Statham was badass, but not used to his potential. He had a awesome intro and a great fight scene with The Rock, but after that he becomes way too much like a Terminatorish type villain. It was pretty ridiculous how he just showed up at the most random places for no reason other than to take out Dom's crew and miserably fail each time. Even with the help of Djimon Hounsou and Tony Jaa as badass mercenaries nobody dies and speaking of those two they were equally wasted in this movie. I understand the big pull of these movies is family, but seriously I wish they were more ballsy and actually kill off some main characters already.

As far as the action goes the canyon chase was easily my favorite. That scene was very well done and when they went down the side of that mountain my crowd instantly got into it. Their was a HUGE reaction when the guy planted into that log and applause at Paul Walker making the bus jump. The rest of the action was ok too, but it got a bit tiring and tedious after a while, but I have to give a special mention to Kurt Russel in this movie. He brung it hard and I'm glad the director gave him atleast one solid action moment where he gets in on it.

As for the ending, it was definitely one of the most emotional scenes in this franchise. I didn't cry, but I was a bit misty eyed and their was a little lump in the back of my throat. It was the perfect send off IMO.

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:48 pm
Forum General

Also, I can't be the only one on here who's glad Rhonda Rousey only had a glorified cameo in this movie right ? I honestly don't know if I could have dealt with her being in it any longer even though I did find the fight scene entertaining. I've said it before and I'll say it again the chick is just not an actress and should really stick to MMA. Gina Carano wasn't great in the last one either, but this was beyond painful lol!.

Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:51 pm
100% That Bitch

lol

The Rock was aces. He can't do freaking wrong.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:03 am
The Kramer

Furious Seven knows exactly what we want and it has no problem giving it to us. Not a second in this film is wasted, the emotional moments lead right into the next action pieces, and the story/planning set ups are brief, to the point and easy to understand. The last one may sound like it should be a given, but tell that to all the other action blockbusters that spend an hour explaining what the hell is going on. Furious does not have this problem. We get it. There's an object/person that needs to be rescued/destroyed, the first plan will not work, but our crack team will improvise a better solution. James Wan does what he does best; he sets the moments, builds the tension and then pays it off spectacularly. And making a damn good looking film.

It remind of Ghost Protocol in that way. There's no time for messing around in Ghost Protocol. Everything is always moving forward towards the next action piece, with just enough time for team bonding, even if the most thrilling action pieces take place early on (Dubai in that case). The mountain battle is brilliant, and about as great an acton scene as you will see. It's a thrill ride for a good 15 minutes, with several different things going on, but once again everything is easy to follow. There's no quick cutting and motion blur, we know where everyone is, why we should care about them and what they need to do to get out of this predicament. The time usually spent wasted on that is instead spent giving us what we want, more team bonding, more action scenes and more time in this dangerous but seductively fun world.

It's not perfect, the Fast movies never are. The Rock makes every bit of his screen time great, but he's on the sideline for far too long. Kurt Russell is a fine replacement, but I still feel like Hobbs should have been a part of all that, even if its just as a consultant. The story behind the God's Eye makes no sense, and the payoff to it deservingly fails. They could have found an easier way to introduce another hot girl to replace Giselle. I guess you need a MacGuffin sometimes.

So while I can't call it the best Fast outright, I think it will have the best overall replayability, due to so little down time. I didn't get the same visceral feeling as the Vin/Rock showdown or dragging a bank fault through Brazil. I also didn't get the same bored feeling while watching them develop a bunch of heist tactics that would never be used. Only time will tell. I can only predict that time will continue to be kind to the Fast and Furious franchise.

Oh and the Walker tribute at the end got me. :tears:

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:52 am
Forum General

This was pretty awesome although I had no interest in it from the trailer.

The Fifth is still the best.

Don't understand how anyone here says Sixth is better or even likes Sixth in the first place which was pretty bad. Like terrible, bad.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:22 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

BK wrote:
Don't understand how anyone here says Sixth is better or even likes Sixth in the first place which was pretty bad. Like terrible, bad.

FURIOUS 6 (which is not at all terrible) gets better as it goes along. FURIOUS SEVEN does the opposite.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:59 pm
Forum General

I really hope they go in a different direction for the next couple of movies instead of thinking they always need to top themselves, because this shit is just getting way out of hand. I know it sounds stupid complaining about realism with these movies, but atleast the last two felt more grounded where as here they just say fuck it and never look back.

I honestly could have done without the whole Abu Dhabi scene. The building jumping looked cool from a visual standpoint, but it seemed so damn fake, especially with the blatantly green screen background, although the car was definitely practical. Also, why do they have to make Dom so fucking invincible in this franchise. I forgave the crazy tank saving bit in Fast 6, but him surviving falls off the sides of mountains, 2 head on car crashes, and getting hit in the face/body with pipes and wrenches without as much as a cut is seriously pushing it dude.

And don't even get me started on that end fight with Statham. That scene was so disappointing, because Statham pretty much gets handled the whole time. When he started chucking him 5 feet into the air and body slamming him on top of cars I just couldn't get into it anymore. You knew who was going to win and then that awful ending with Statham falling through a crappy, heavily CGI concrete floor was so cringe inducing and lame IMO.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:13 pm
Full Fledged Member

The latest entry in F&F franchise is the DUMBEST action movie that I have ever watched in the theater. The total film is a total train-wreck of a movie with implausibility coming thick and fast as speeding cars. The characters in this movie seems like robot not human. The amount of hit and injuries they digested so easily which even a metal made robot could not possibly sustain. And.... now-a-days... this *beep* has become a successful franchise !! Terminator 3 and 4 are much more plusible and better movies than this garbage let alone T1 & T2 which are classics of action genre.

Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:05 am
The Kramer

Why would you go into a Fast and Furious movie expecting realism? This is a fantasy movie lol.

Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:41 pm

Terminator is plausible?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:10 pm
The Kramer

Time travel is for real yo.

Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next