Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Wedding Ringer (2015) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Wedding Ringer (2015)

Quote:
The Wedding Ringer is a 2015 romantic comedy film written and directed by Jeremy Garelick. It will star Kevin Hart, Josh Gad, Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting and Olivia Thirlby. The film will be produced by Adam Fields, Will Packer Productions and Miramax Films, distributed by Screen Gems and scheduled to be released on January 16, 2015 during the MLK Holiday weekend.

Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:12 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: The Wedding Ringer (2015)
This was horrible, homophobic garbage. I'm not usually one to scream about homophobia in film but some of the things in this movie are so hateful, it was disgusting. As a huge fan of Josh Gad (loved him in Book of Mormon), I'm disappointed he did this movie. It was just garbage.

F

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Superman: The Movie

What did you find homophobic about it? The gay character who plays up being fey to bring in more business? I thought that character walked a very fine line, but I didn't find it offensive. Then again, I'm not gay so I probably wouldn't be offended. Did I miss something?

Anyways, I'll admit I laughed quite a big, but I also couldn't help but feel the whole time that the film wasted a gigantic opportunity with the premise. It probably had to do something with the groomsmen and the rest of the supporting cast. Seven actors and not one of them was funny. The only one who comes away unscathed is Olivia Thirlby, but that's because she wasn't given much to do. She should've been in it more. And Cloris "Frau Blucher" Leachman is only in the film to get lit on fire.

The movie also decides to take a bizarre turn in making Cuoco a cunt. The movie doesn't set up the relationship with Gad and the stripper/hooker with a heart of gold enough to make it go anywhere or seem warranted, so her turn is almost completely random. One day she's nice, the next day she confuses "their song" that's to be sung at the wedding for something that happened with one of her exes, and she commands it to happen anyways. And of course the innocent Gad character goes along with it even though he's heard the story five times because just like the hooker he too has a heart of gold. So in addition to homophobia we've got misogyny.

But Hart and Gad do everything to keep this movie afloat and they do for the most part. But as I said, I'd mostly chalk this down to a missed opportunity. Wait for it to come on Netflix Instant.

**½ (C+)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I didn't find his character homophobic, though the father I found incredibly obnoxious and homophobic. I'm not someone who is easily offended when it comes to that stuff and I wouldn't say I was "offended" but it is annoying that there will be people who find some of the humor in this funny when others could find it particularly hurtful. There were also a few moments sprinkled around it that didn't pertain to either of the characters I found a bit homophobic.

And this is one of the most bizarre mainstream comedies of recent years. :P Between the dinner scene, to the bachelor party scene. None of it meshed together well and it was just all these "holy shit!", gross out moments that added to nothing and were just stupid.

Fuck I hated this movie.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Superman: The Movie

Ah, okay. The only thing I'd say though is that the father is never shown to be redeeming in any way. The movie never laughs with him.

That saying I'm not going to defend the character too far though because the movie does nothing interesting or funny with him. He's just there to be your typical "movie wedding dad" asshole.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:43 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I think there was a pretty solid movie somewhere in here but unfortunately it's not here. There are some enjoyable moments here and there though.

I thought the gay character was handled alright besides the whole "here's my woman" thing but it is annoying to have gay slurs in mainstream comedies.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:58 am
Hold the door!

This was really funny and much better than ride along. I'm very surprised this was not a bigger hit considering it stars Kevin Hart, Olaf from frozen and penny from the Big Bang Theory. I definitely didn't see the part where the girl said she was settling for him coming. I figured she would figure out his lie, get really angry and then reconcile at the end. But luckily this wasn't quite as rote as that. But when Jorge Garcia made that Lost reference at the end, I died.

B plus but I could raise it to an A in another watch.

Last edited by zwackerm on Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:25 am
Keeping it Light

I enjoyed this too. Gadd and Hart have a nice thing going on here. In a general way I feel it draws comparison with Hitch, which isn't a good thing. It's just broods on a familiar Hollywood formula which I enjoy. The movie doesn't stand out as anything uber comedic, but it has a very nice beat going, and the concept is a plain funny one that's been brought to the screen well. Olivia Thirlby is also just such a treat. I've heard of her before, but this is first movie role I saw of her, and certainly hope to run into more. Kaley Cuoco is just kind of a bitch in this, I never watched the TBBT, but I don't know what else she brings to anything aside boobs. I can't believe she's only 29, she doesn't carry any youthfulness to her.

The films charms anyway, it's a nice casual watch, and if you don't expect too much, you'll end up enjoying it enough.

B-

Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]