Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Cake (2014) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Cake (2014) 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Cake (2014)
Cake (2014)]

Quote:
Cake is a 2014 American drama film written by Patrick Tobin, directed by Daniel Barnz, and starring Jennifer Aniston, Adriana Barraza, Felicity Huffman, William H. Macy, Anna Kendrick, and Sam Worthington. It debuted in the Special Presentations section of the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival. Aniston portrays an acerbic woman who becomes fascinated by the suicide of a woman in her chronic-pain support group. As she uncovers the details of the suicide, she grapples with her own personal demons.

Aniston's performance has earned nominations for the Screen Actors Guild Award and Golden Globe Award.

The film has been selected to close the Capri, Hollywood International Film Festival on January 2, 2015.

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Cake (2014)
Jennifer Aniston lives up to the hype here and really delivers a great, affecting performance that's different from anything she's done before. Several of her scenes are heartbreaking, but she also has some hilarious one-liners and moments in what was clearly a physically challenging role. She's the main reason to see the film, which is ultimately moving despite being something we've seen before (a variation on the central plot conflict was seen just this year in The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby). All of the supporting actors were great but Adriana Baraza was easily the standout and was also fantastic. I loved the relationship between her character and Aniston's, it was easily the heart and soul of the movie. Most of the surprisingly namey supporting cast is reduced to small bit roles but all do their best with the material. It's worth checking out B

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:57 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

I thought it was kind of bad honestly but Aniston levitates the material quite a bit. She gives a fantastic performance and while I don't think it was as good as her performance in The Good Girl, she is fantastic. The direction and script are pretty poor and it's incredibly dull. Still worth seeing for Aniston though.

C

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

I thought it was a really good movie with a great performance by Aniston. I hope she gets an Oscar nomination in the morning.

8/10 (B+)

Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:31 am
Sbil

Calling Cake "unfocused" would be charitable, and it's ultimately a rather puzzling movie from a narrative standpoint. Keeping that in mind, it's kind of remarkable how good Jennifer Aniston is in this. In all seriousness, I can't remember the last time an actor worked so hard to overcome the shortcomings of the movie built around them. It goes without saying I'm a big fan, but she does genuinely superb work here. If only it were in a better movie. C+

Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:24 pm
Extraordinary

I liked it mostly. Jennifer Aniston is good but not as good as the other Actress nominees I've seen. Despite his small screentime I actually liked Sam Worthington in this even though he didn't really do much lol

The whole 'I'll give you $100 to make me a cake" to the girl who was about to rob her was definitely eye roll worthy, especially when her maid rolled her eyes as she says earlier in the movie how crappy her pay is, poor lady.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]