Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Serena (2015) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Serena (2015) 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Serena (2015)
Serena (2015)

Quote:
Serena is an American-French drama film based upon the novel of the same name by American author Ron Rash. Directed by Susanne Bier, the film stars Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper as newlyweds running a timber business in 1930s North Carolina.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: Serena (2015)
It's shit. Stunning failure.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Yeah, this was a mess and actually the first movie where I thought Lawrence's performance was rather shaky. Big disapointment.

Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:57 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I actually went to go see this theatrically both because it was playing a block from me and also because at the end of the day this is a movie starring two of my favorite actors and I thought it deserved more than watching it on VOD. Unfortunately, the critics are mostly right. This movie is a mess. It's not unwatchable and I actually thought for the most part Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence were very good. The problem is the script gives them absolutely nothing to work with. Their courtship in the film literally lasts for 30 seconds so you're never given a chance to care about them or their relationship - making the dramatic stakes almost nonexistent. The movie continuously moves along at this odd pace - it's never really clear what is going on and feels choppy. The entirety of the Serena pregnancy plotline is all over the place, particularly when it turns her into a Lady Macbeth esque figure in the second half. Rhys Ifans and Ana Ularu are awful in the movie's most significant supporting roles. It really isn't the actors' faults that this is such a mess as it is the director, who clearly has no idea what she's trying to do with this movie, and the undercooked screenplay. Also, the musical score is so overbearing that it becomes distracting. It does have its moments because Cooper and Lawrence are such magnetic screen presences - they both look great and are very easy to watch, and there are some nice bits of cinematography. I was going to be a tad more generous with my grade until the absolutely ridiculous and unintentionally hilarious final 10 minutes, which are so overbearing with their symbolism that it's honestly nauseating. I saw one review that described this as Cold Mountain without the energy of Renee Zellweger added in and I'd say that's accurate. It just feels lifeless and more like a missed opportunity than anything else. This won't be a career-killer for anyone involved but it could have been much better. C

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:02 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

That actually really undersells Cold Mountain, which is a really good film even without Zellweger. Serena has none of its sweeping sope, its great score, its beautiful cinematography etc. etc.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:08 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Not bad for about an hour. Then Serena loses her baby and somehow the movie somehow becomes extremely dull and Lawrence's performance resorts to letting "crazy eyes" represent her feelings. Maybe in a melodrama that could've worked, but Serena takes itself way too seriously.

** (C)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:52 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I liked it. I mean, it is a bit of a mess despite two really good performances by the leads. But I thought it was interesting and a nice looking film. I just found it poorly edited. This was most evident in the beginning. The first half hour felt a bit sloppily put together. Not as good as it could have been considering the talent involved but not as bad as I'd heard.

7/10 (B-)

Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]