Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 The Theory of Everything 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

The Theory of Everything 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Theory of Everything
The Theory of Everything

Quote:
The Theory of Everything is a 2014 British romantic biographical film[3] directed by James Marsh and penned by Anthony McCarten. The film was inspired by the memoir Travelling to Infinity: My Life with Stephen by Jane Hawking, which deals with her relationship with her ex-husband theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking, his diagnosis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), and his success in physics.

This is the sixth feature film directed by James Marsh. Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones star with Charlie Cox, Emily Watson, Simon McBurney and David Thewlis featured in supporting roles.

The Theory of Everything had its world premiere at the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival and is scheduled to be released in theatres in November 2014. Focus Features will distribute the film in the United States, Entertainment One Films will distribute the film in Canada and Universal Pictures will distribute the film in remaining territories.

Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Theory of Everything
Really lovely. It's absolutely gorgeous from a production standpoint - the cinematography, direction and score are all flawless - and is anchored by two stunning performances from Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones. Redmayne in particular is fantastic in an incredibly physically demanding role. The two of them share a lovely chemistry and many scenes are incredibly melancholy and romantic. I would have liked to have seen certain aspects of the script a bit more developed, and the ending isn't entirely satisfying (which is hardly the filmmaker's fault as this is how it played out in real life), but this is a moving and inspirational movie that will no doubt be a major player in the upcoming awards season. A-

Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:24 am
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

A pair of dynamic lead performances and a director with a sharp eye cannot entirely hide the fact The Theory of Everything is a flawed film biography, but they help a great deal. The film, of course, focuses on Stephen Hawking (Eddie Redmayne), the British cosmologist and theoretical physicist who has become one of the most iconic and influential figures in modern science despite a devastating and ever-worsening diagnosis of motor neuron disease during his time as a student at Cambridge. Chief among the film's concerns is his 30-year relationship with his first wife, one Jane Wilde (Felicity Jones). She loves and advocates for him while also helping with day-to-day activities which for him could have become insurmountable. Genuine inspiration is found in their romance and the various acts of courage and sacrifice it entails, and the film also portrays the ways in which they drifted apart or resented one another with incisive tact.

The performances are the heart of the film and no doubt worthy of laurels. Redmayne undergoes a astonishing and traumatic transformation, conveying the pain Stephen experiences as his muscles betray him and his limbs contort. His eyes remain vivid, however, and abundant with iconoclastic wit. And though her performance is more subtle, Jones matches him beat for beat. She at first registers as a force of conviction and elegance, but later plays sharp notes of unfulfilled longing and self-doubt. Behind the camera is James Marsh, a versatile director who transitions from documentaries such as Man on Wire to fictional features such as the undervalued Shadow Dancer with admirable ease and confidence. Here, he is in fine form and fashions a chic and high-toned production, always capturing the dance of light on reflective surfaces and infusing certain sequences with home-movie intimacy via Super 16-millimeter photography. He also trains his camera on small, yet poignant details, including, for instance, a moment in which the paralyzed Stephen closely observes the way his wife and friends reach, dine, and demonstrate their points with their hands around the table. Each gesture, we realize, represents a luxury he will now forever be denied.

Yet, despite Marsh's acumen as a craftsman and also the undeniable quality of the cast, The Theory of Everything falls a hair short of the type of creative combustion required to elevate a film such as this from crowd-pleasing and respectable to truly great. The primary shortcoming is its inability to illuminate the scientific genius of its subject. There are brief, ultra-simplified explanations of his theories, yes, and briefer still references significant moments in his career as a scientist, including the publication of his bestselling A Brief History of Time. And his personal evolution as a husband and as a father is touching, but the film needs and fails to illustrate the tapestry of his mind (or its idea of his mind) and the presumed storm of frustration, glee, inspiration, and obsession driving envelope-pushing scientific discovery. Without doing so, it is at once very fine and slightly incomplete.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:57 am
Iron Man

Beautifully shot, well-paced, and excellently acted, The Theory of Everything is an engaging biopic, (mostly) focusing on the marriage of Stephen Hawking, and his first wife, Jane Hawking. Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones are superb as the leading characters, and their chemistry is what drives the narrative. Unfortunately, the film is not without its faults. It often lacks focus, trying to be an examination of the marriage, the deterioration of Hawking's health and its consequences, as well as his achievements as a scientist, all at once, and as such some of those areas end up feeling underdeveloped and rushed. Also, there are some moments where the film veers too much into melodrama, and others where it falls into the trappings of the Oscar-baity biopic and then it becomes cringeworthy. I did not like the ending sequence at all. Aside from those issues, there is a lot to admire in The Theory of Everything, and it is a fine film and worth-watching. But it could have been much better. B

Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:22 pm
Sbil

I actually really liked this, but I'm a sucker for romance and sentimentality in my movies. What can I say, I'm a cheap date. Of course the end result is not as interesting as a biopic of Stephen Hawking probably should be, but the whole thing had sort of a swoony, dreamy quality that I got swept up in. Eddie Redmayne is fabulous, fully committing himself to the heart and physicality of the role. Felicity Jones, who surprisingly may actually have more screen time, is lovely and restrained. They'll both deserve the Oscar nominations they'll likely get. A Beautiful Mind the Gap. B+

Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:41 am
Forum General

It was a nice movie, though it was ultimately disappointing. The best way to describe it was that it's a nice, easy movie to watch but it doesn't stay lingering in your mind for any amount of time. That being said, the material is elevated by the two lead performances. Eddie Redmayne is very good and if he is nominated for an Oscar, it is deserving but Felicity Jones was the true stand out here. She was remarkable.

B

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

I rather liked it. Terrific lead performances and interesting relationship dynamics.

Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:26 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Loved it. Both Jones and Redmayne are aces and the film does a great job capturing both sides of Hawking's life (success and health).

Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:11 pm
Profile WWW
why so serious?

In regard to its story, The Theory of Everything could be dubbed "The Stephen Hawking Show;" in regard to its quality, "The Eddie Redmayne Show" would be a very appropriate moniker. Although there are other points of merit in the film, Redmayne's performance is by far the biggest triumph. He has shown promise in previous roles, but he outdoes himself with a remarkable physical portrayal of Hawking that also very gracefully and subtly communicates emotional and intellectual information that the character is unable to verbally communicate throughout most of the second half of the film. Redmayne certainly earns the accolades that have been heaped upon the performance. Unfortunately, there's really nothing else in the movie that can match up to it. Felicity Jones is very good at portraying the quiet strength of Hawking's wife, and she makes the most of a meatier role and more screen time than the average supportive wife in this type of biopic, even if she doesn't leave as lasting of an impression as Redmayne. There's enough content on their romantic life to fill out the two-hour running time, but it comes at the expense of exploring Hawking's ideas and processes in greater depth, which is a bit of a shame considering that the film is at its most fascinating when it looks into how Hawking thinks, and how he adjusts as ALS continues to take its toll on his body (especially considering what we ultimately learn about the marriage near the end of the film). Any criticism of the film as "A Beautiful Mind Lite" is neither unfair nor inaccurate, but despite storytelling shortcomings, it succeeds on the back of superb acting.

B+

Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:41 pm
You must have big rats

B+

This is acting Oscars heaven. Of course Eddie Redmayne is wonderful with a part that offers itself up so well to showcase some acting chops, but the real highlight here is Felicity Jones, the quiet beacon in the storm of emotions. I loved the chemistry between the two of them and that kept me involved all the way through - because otherwise it is no more than your generic biopic about an extraordinary person. The only other thing that stood out was the great score that is also assured an Oscar nod, even though it is occasionally manipulative - worked on me!

Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:22 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

paralyzingly boring

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:55 pm
New Server, Same X

Like its brilliant subject, The Theory of Everything is largely immobile, but there's fantastic and vibrant life brimming in its eyes, a joy that is contagious throughout. For all its weaknesses, the film is basically a love story, through all its triumphs and tragedies. It's a lot closer to true love despite its ending.

Sadly though, it plods along at times, supported only by two terrific performances from Eddie Redmayne (his Oscar to lose) and Felicity Jones. Because its true main plot is the story of Stephen and Jane, it awkwardly handles Hawking's achievements. Even the story of his physical deterioration feels stunted at times, glossing over his struggles to overcome, opting for a more sunny outlook. It never seems he's down and out at any time. One sad, sullen glance, and suddenly the eyes re-ignite and he marches forward, so to speak. I'm not disputing that the man had an infinitely positive outlook, but it's impossible not to struggle, especially mentally. For that, this feels like a made-for-TV version of the story. No grit, just a lot of overcoming and personal success.

What would be otherwise forgettable is saved entirely by the two leads. The film triumphs because of them. With a better script (at least a better idea of where the film should and shouldn't go), this would be a clear-cut frontrunner for best movie of the year.

B

Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:34 am
Superman: The Movie

Magnus wrote:
Strong acting, average storytelling and filmmaking (though I did quite like the reverse sequence at the end).

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:38 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Jmart wrote:
Magnus wrote:
Strong acting, average storytelling and filmmaking (though I did quite like the reverse sequence at the end).

Truth

BJs Grade:

B+

Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:06 am
Profile WWW
now we know

An extraordinary performance by Eddie Redmayne. Keaton and Cooper are good, and Steve Carell is very good, but none of them reach the impressive heights of Redmayne's portrayal of Stephen Hawking. He deserves the Oscar. End of discussion. As for the film, it was respectable, but outside of Redmayne's performance, it was nothing spectacular. That being said, I can't believe how much the film plucks at the heart strings, and it half-worked, and Redmayne perfectly captures the sense of humour that I never knew Hawking had. I liked having Felicity Jones in the film, but her scenes with Charlie Cox (and some of the delivery/dialogue in the film) just didn't seem authentic for my liking. I also wish they had focused more on the physics side of his life (you know, since it is called The Theory of Everything) and tried to educate us more than just wow us with Redmayne's brilliance. I really don't care for his personal life. Other than being disabled, it's really not that unique. But his professional life is, and I had hoped for more. I understand it's an impossible task to fit a lifetime into 2 hours, but I also wish that if they're going to make the film about his love life, then they could have at least shown more of when his wife was pregnant and how they coped (that is very interesting for me right now!). But yeah, what is also spectacular is how he certainly bangs out the kids! No problems in that area! (wink wink).

The film was also very good at stressing the impact of motor neuron disease, which is something that I was ignorant to before. It's the sort of film that confirms you have a heart. A terrific performance, expressive cinematography, average score, and overall a film that I will probably never watch again.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:13 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

It’s good but it’s the stronger film for Jane than Stephen Hawking for me. It’s about Jane pushing them to stay together after his diagnosis, then holding up the marriage by taking care of him, then doing the “right thing” by pushing Jonathan away, etc. Stephen Hawking’s career doesn’t have any interesting conflict whatsoever in this film because he’s such a wrecking ball and his flirting for the Elaine character works less than Jane’s with Jonathan. With Jane/Jonathan it makes sense why Jane would grow restless in her marriage, while Stephen has everything he could want in Jane and there’s nothing specifically Elaine has over her other than being new. When Jane gets together with Jonathan I was mostly happy for them, while Elaine just comes off as a hom wrecker. On top of this while Redmayne is great I was even more impressed by Felicity Jones, she had great non-verbal acting and reactions in this film showing just what she’s feeling. Redmayne was great but I feel like he could've taken the performance to another level if his face and eyes expressed more when Stephen either couldn't talk or barely could. I was more impressed by his performance in the first 30 minutes when he was normal but eccentric. I appreciate the film mostly because of how much better a character Jane is than the vast majority of biopic wives

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:06 pm
Devil's Advocate

Mister Ecks wrote:
Sadly though, it plods along at times, supported only by two terrific performances from Eddie Redmayne (his Oscar to lose) and Felicity Jones. Because its true main plot is the story of Stephen and Jane, it awkwardly handles Hawking's achievements. Even the story of his physical deterioration feels stunted at times, glossing over his struggles to overcome, opting for a more sunny outlook. It never seems he's down and out at any time. One sad, sullen glance, and suddenly the eyes re-ignite and he marches forward, so to speak. I'm not disputing that the man had an infinitely positive outlook, but it's impossible not to struggle, especially mentally. For that, this feels like a made-for-TV version of the story. No grit, just a lot of overcoming and personal success.

Now that I think of it you're right, other than his initial reclusion after getting diagnosed, there is really not much emotional arc for Stephen Hawking in this film other than "horny" when Elaine shows up. How he feels about his wife being in love with another guy-possibly sleeping with him isn't covered all that much as he's mostly cool with them, and they don't make him react emotionally to him losing his voice hardly at all, it takes him about 30 seconds to get in the swing of things. I would say this looks like a bigger issue for the script than Redmayne

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:15 pm
Forum General

The acting and the score are awesome. While it's not perfect, I personally was never bored with the story. I'm a sucker for this kind of movie though.

A

Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Shack wrote:
Mister Ecks wrote:

Now that I think of it you're right, other than his initial reclusion after getting diagnosed, there is really not much emotional arc for Stephen Hawking in this film other than "horny" when Elaine shows up. How he feels about his wife being in love with another guy-possibly sleeping with him isn't covered all that much as he's mostly cool with them, and they don't make him react emotionally to him losing his voice hardly at all, it takes him about 30 seconds to get in the swing of things. I would say this looks like a bigger issue for the script than Redmayne

Considering what life threw at him, if one was to only go by this 2-hour flick, you would have to assume Hawking didn't mind any of his physical deteriorating at all. Just a hiccup!

I believe in a different, ballsier movie, this would have been much more about Jane than Stephen. It felt like that's what 75% of the movie strived to be, but once things got going, they realized they needed more of Stephen so they added hastily.

Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:01 pm
Wallflower

Solid movie. Nothing amazing but well-made with a great performance from Redmayne. Just felt like something was missing.

7/10 ( B )

Thu May 07, 2015 1:16 am
Hold the door!

This was a very heartbreaking movie to watch, but it was well worth it. The story of Stephen Hawking's life really gives one hope for the human spirit. Imagine if he really had just lived 2 years. Also, this movie handled the whole faith vs. science debate in a very sensitive way. No one should be offended. Felicity Jones really reminded me of Jennifer Connelly's character from a beautiful mind; her performance may have been a bit behind it's time. Eddie Redmayne is very good here as well, especially in the parts where Stephen could not speak.

A-

Ranking the 2014 BP candidates (some of my grades have changed)
Whiplash A-
Birdman A-
The Theory of Everything A-
The Imitation Game A-
American Sniper B+
Boyhood B
The Grand Budapest Hotel C

Best Actor
1. Eddie Redmayne
2. Michael Keaton
3. Bradley Cooper
4. Benedict Cumberbatch