Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 The Babadook 

What grade would you give this film?
A 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
C 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

The Babadook 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Babadook
The Babadook

Quote:
The Babadook is a 2014 Australian horror film produced by Causeway Films and directed by Jennifer Kent, who also penned the screenplay. The film showed at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival to critical acclaim.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:04 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

This is a thrilling and scary Aussie horror. It's the flipside to something like Wolf Creek which relies on gore and torture. The Babadook is psychological horror mixed with elements of paranormal horror. It's intense and creepy as hell. There isn't enough of the Babadook creepiness for it to be an utterly fantastic horror film, but when the instances comes, they are great and so scary. I felt that the budget impacted the film. If it had more money, they would surely have included more Babadook scenes and scared us a lot more. Regardless, it's a great film and Essie Davis gives a superbly menacing performance. What makes this film so good is that it doesn't rely on jump scares or the titular presence. It has a good back story (supported by the brilliant performance of Davis), and is basically a degeneration of Amelia and her mental well being, and how that is affecting her life, her son's life, and her family/friends.

The Babadook could so easily be the next horror icon, just like Ghostface, Michael Myers, and the red-faced demon from Insidious have, and just like Hollow Face from Intruders could have done. It's that scary. Just hearing that voice makes me shit myself.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Babadook
The feature-length directorial debut of Jennifer Kent, expanding her short film Monster, The Babadook is an allegorical fright film, positioning itself at the strange place where the bump-in-the-night creature feature intersects with the domestic drama. The title refers to the monster in a bedtime story mysteriously found on the shelf in the bedroom of Samuel (Noah Wiseman), the disobedient and troubled son of widow Amelia (Essie Davis). She is at the end of her tether: bored by her job as a rest-home nurse, often unable to control her temperamental son, and still grieving the death of her husband, who crashed his car the day Samuel was born. The ambiguous, evil entity on the page begins to twist and turn its way into her fracturing mind, and it is clear neither mother nor son may survive as reality and nightmare fuse.

I never found this film particularly frightening in a conventional sense, but it does have a overarching atmosphere of unease, and its ideas are rich and rewarding. Kent's screenplay establishes a painful and poignant human scenario—a single mother who cannot cope with the pressures of her life, including the unctuous misbehavior of her son, and may go over the edge (into despair, into violence)—and slowly pushes it into the realm of the extraordinary. In this way, it joins a proud tradition of films eliciting screams from the anxieties and responsibilities of parenting, including Rosemary's Baby, The Shining, and The Others. Also of note here is a magnificent, career-elevating lead performance by journeyman Australian actress Essie Davis. As Amelia, she swings wildly from subdued, dejected lows to extreme menace without sacrificing an internal continuity.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:17 pm
now we know

Nice review, dude.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:43 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Thanks. :)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:20 am
Forum General

I don't get the hype for this one. Maybe, its because I'm burnt out on these type of horror movies, but I found nothing about this the least bit scary.

The kid annoyed the hell out of me, but the actress who played the mom was pretty good.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:39 pm
Wallflower

This is a really intelligent psychological horror film. Amazing lead performance. Loved it!

9/10 (A-)

Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:46 am
loyalfromlondon

subtextual

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:32 pm
The Kramer

I'd also probably go crazy if I had to live with that kid. Yet the dog is the only who suffers? Doesn't seem fair.

The movie isn't terrible, but it tries way too hard to be a smart horror movie and ends up getting in its own way. The first half is just miserable.

Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:41 am
Wallflower

On second viewing I bumped this up to an "A." Best horror film of 2014.

Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]