Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Guardians of the Galaxy 

What grade would you give this film?
A 44%  44%  [ 12 ]
B 56%  56%  [ 15 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 27

Guardians of the Galaxy 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Guardians of the Galaxy
Guardians of the Galaxy

Quote:
Guardians of the Galaxy is a 2014 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics superhero team of the same name, produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. It is the tenth installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The film is directed by James Gunn, who wrote the screenplay with Nicole Perlman, and features an ensemble cast including Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Lee Pace, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillan, Djimon Hounsou, John C. Reilly, Glenn Close, and Benicio del Toro. In Guardians of the Galaxy, Peter Quill forms an uneasy alliance with a group of extraterrestrial misfits who are on the run after stealing a coveted orb.

Producer Kevin Feige first publicly mentioned Guardians of the Galaxy as a potential film in 2010, and Marvel Studios announced that the film was in active development at the San Diego Comic-Con International in July 2012. Gunn was hired to write and direct the film that September. In February 2013, Pratt was hired to play Peter Quill / Star-Lord, and the supporting cast was filled out over the next several months. Filming began in July 2013 at Shepperton Studios, England with filming continuing in London before wrapping up in October 2013. Post-production completed on July 7, 2014.

Guardians of the Galaxy premiered in Hollywood on July 21, 2014. It is scheduled to be released in theaters on August 1, 2014 in the United States, and will be released in 3D and IMAX 3D. A sequel has been announced and is scheduled to be released on July 28, 2017.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:31 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: Guardians of the Galaxy
Apparently this is a "negative" review...

Quote:
"Guardians of the Galaxy" brings to mind some of the most unforgettable sci-fi event movies of the last 30 years. Alas, those films are "Howard the Duck" and "Green Lantern."

Sounds awesome to me!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:34 am
Ocarina of Time

Bradley will love this

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:43 pm
Extraordinary

No he won't. It's too popular critically.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:50 pm
Superfreak

I'd give it as B+. I liked it. Best Marvel entry level film aside form Iron Man though I suppose that isnt saying anything.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:23 pm
The Kramer

So it's no secret that I love the Marvel Cinematic Universe. They each have their problems, usually a lame villain and weak final battle sequence. Yet each time they come to the plate it is at least a double. I'm not a big fan of the comics though. Not to say they are bad, there's just too many issues, too much backstory, too many crossovers. The results are too much effort to follow. The movies will be like eventually, some will argue that they are like that now, I disagree. Yet when I heard about Guardians of the Galaxy, consisting of a talking raccoon who specializes in demolition naturally my curiosity outweighed the burden of jumping into a superhero chain. Luckily, Guardians the comic and movie ease the viewer in. Sure there are small references to past deeds and greater powers like Thanos and the Inhumans come in eventually, but the Guardians mostly live in the moment. That makes for a refreshing comic series (for awhile anyways) and an even better movie (we'll see ;-) ).

While it soars to new heights, it does sometimes get dragged back to Xandar by the usual Marvel problems. Ronan gets a lot of lines, but never bothers to explain why he wants to destroy Xandar. Is he just a huge racist? The final battle is gorgeous to look at, but isn't as exciting as the earlier action sequences.

These are small bumps in an otherwise smooth ride though. It has all the good parts taken up to 11. The half hour between their arrival on Xandar and the escape from prison was the most fun I've ever had with a Marvel movie. Rocket did not disappoint! Hilarious, but also the heart of the movie, and a total badass. Just when "I Am Groot" was starting to lose its mojo, they bring in the translating to make it funny again. Batista was also surprisingly funny. "Nothing can fly over my head, my reflexes are perfect, I would catch it." :funny: I didn't know he had it in him. And of course Pratt brings all his usual charm and sincerity, coupled with rocket boots. Zoe gets her moments, my favorite being her instant transition from romantic to murderous.

This was one of the nerdy in-group things I complained about earlier, but I was so happy to see Cosmo! I hear he came back for the end credits sequence, along with fucking Howard The Duck? Is this true or internet nonsense? I really wish I had stayed ... That was a bigger blight on my experience than anything in the movie.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:38 pm
Forum General

Very fun movie. Actually works better as a comedy than an action movie, though the action is still great in parts. A few jokes miss, but the majority work very well. The characters all have their moments to shine. It helped that the audience was very ready and willing to laugh. I'd give it a very entertaining B+. Solid applause by the audience at the end. This is a total crowd pleaser.

There might have been more trailers before this showing than I've ever seen before.

Interstellar - no reaction
The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies - slightly positive reaction
Into The Woods - no reaction
Annie - good amount of laughter
Dumb and Dumber To - lots of laughs, best reaction
The Hunger GAmes: Mockingjay Part 1 - no reaction
Big Hero 6 - lots of laughs, 2nd best reaction

Like I said, this was an audience ready to laugh.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:55 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It's fun but the action scenes fall really flat. It's also the first Marvel movie that really tonally disconnected from the universe as a whole. I really can't believe that this film exists in the same universe as the first IRON MAN or THE WINTER SOLDIER.

The hook about Quill's dad was kind of embarrassing, too. "Phew, good thing we didn't take him to his dad like we were totally paid to do!"

Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:11 am
Extraordinary

Just to echo the sentiment, the movie was quite fun. :)

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:44 am
Profile WWW
Grill

Loved just about every second of if.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:15 am
On autopilot for the summer

This movie is to marvel as The Phantom or Rocketeer was to superhero films in the 90. It's fun, but at not point do you care to see what happens next. Chris Patt is at his best, but the supporting characters of Rocket, Buatista, and Groot steal it. But they are far from compelling. The villain is super weak (Nothing more than Xerxes in 300 except worshiping a bad Emperor in Star Wars) The best parts are the middle in the prison. And it shines there. The rest is completely throwaway. Close, Reilly and Del Torro are completely wasted (The latter is little more than his cameo in Thor, and equally ridiculous) Vin gets the paycheck of his life in what I assume having to say the same line only 3 times differently.I'm really surprised by the online praise. It's mostly a waste of time, and adds nothing (Also Pratt never opening his moms gift until 27 years later is just awful storylelling)

B-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:25 am
Extraordinary

There's a lot to like and enjoy but there's also not much to soak in unfortunately. I was on board for a lot of the first half but it doesn't really find its footing.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:30 am
Romosexual!

Lots of laughs...lots of good action...2 thumbs way up

Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:48 am
loyalfromlondon

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:21 am
Begging Naked

It's still mired in the emerging tropes of the MCU (which at this point will probably never turn out a truly great movie), but it has a great cast and an occasionally irreverent tone that makes it maybe the funniest blockbuster of the summer. I had fun.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

This is what a Marvel movie should be unlike their other films which try too hard to connect the universe or feel they need to put some material in just to make it blockbuster-y or merely show off.

The entire cast is brilliant, it is ridiculously funny, and probably the best thing Marvel Studios will do until Guardians 2.

Also...

Spoiler: show
HOWARD THE DUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully that's one of the untitled future releases.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

The film is fun and pretty enjoyable, good acting and nice action sequences, but I'm just getting tired of the same formula on every MCU movie.

I know, in the end, Thanos will get the infinity gaunlet, but not every MCU entry has to be about saving a fucking stone/gem from the bad guys?, eh?... this was seen before in CA, Avengers, Thor 2, etc.

Dear disney, Stop please!

Ah, and the citizens' face expressions behind the guardians, in the last battle, were pretty lame and forced, specially the one from that stupid woman who starts crying when she sees Ronan emerging from the wreck,,,,, second worst scene of the year, number one is still the moron boy at the end of TASM2

B

Also....... I didn't find Thanos threatening, the whole idea of introducing him here seemed weak to me

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Last edited by Brian on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:51 am
Forum General

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I know all about the Thanos scene. Now I don't mind building him up since he's suppose to be one tough motherfucker that will probably take on the entire Guardians/Avengers team, but seriously can we see him do something badass before TA3 besides sitting down and barking orders.

All this cryptic/teasing shit is getting annoying.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:16 am
Pure Phase

The Marvel Cinematic Universe's focus on Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor has become routine or even a tad rote, but here comes a potent blast of fresh air in the form of the Guardians of the Galaxy. A type of pop space opera, the film pairs a Earth-born outlaw with four dysfunctional alien compatriots, including a machine-gun-wielding raccoon and a scene-stealing living tree (an adorable monster and my personal favorite). Together, they combat outer-space evil. It may build to an unsurprising—though still involving—sequence of race-to-save-the-world combat and pursuit, but there are so many exciting, hilarious, and/or riveting details and detours along the way. In fighting shape for the role which will forever change his promising career, Chris Pratt shines, exuding intense man-of-action confidence while also dispensing wry one-liners with an expert's ease. As one of the other guardians, a musclebound alien dead-set on avenging his slain family, martial artist and wrestler Dave Bautista is a pleasant surprise. His imposing physique is complemented by unexpectedly spot-on deadpan comic timing. The protagonists in general are wonderful; the tensions and bonds within the fresh-faced cosmic superhero team are not only introduced, but also deeply felt. Their worlds, too, are intriguing, overflowing with vivid colors and numerous retro art-direction flourishes.

Spry and humorous, the film is simply a very pleasant way to spend two hours. Its enormous charms compensate for a few not-insignificant flaws, including a couple squandered side players, including Glenn Close and, sadly, Benicio Del Toro, whose absurd, yet quietly menacing intergalactic "Collector" I hope to see again in future films. The antagonist, Lee Pace's genocidal Ronan the Accuser, is also unmemorable, particularly compared to the instant-classic heroes. Pace is a gifted actor, and he tries to bolster the role with a catalog of growls and scowls, but the macabre-generic design of the character leaves much to be desired, and the motives behind his destruction are barely explored.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:49 am
Pure Phase

I am not a fan of the the reveal of Josh Brolin as Thanos. His central scene here is clearly rather crudely shoehorned in to tether this world to the Avengers storyline.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:51 am
Quality is a great business plan

it is very good though I liked DOFP and Cap2 better. At least humor fits very well here and was not annoying like Thor 2. Pratt was brilliant as Star lord. Rest of the guardians were good. Vin Diesel as Groot steals the show. Character had real heart and had funny moments. Villians were lame as usual in Marvel flicks. Thanos made no impact. I guess his presence is just to excite the Marvel fanboys.

Overall rating A-. My Marvel ranking is

1) Cap2/IM1 tie
3) GOTG
4) IM3
5) Cap1
6) Avengers
7) TIH/Thor 1
.9) Thor 2
10) IM2.

I used to be shawman.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:52 am
---------

Loved it! Chris Pratt and Bradley Cooper kill it. As others mentioned, it's easily the funniest blockbuster ever - yet it escapes feeling like it's being forced to be funny.

My audience went wild for it - I'd love to see what the WOM actually turns about to be.

A-

Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:38 am
loyalfromlondon

this is not the "funniest blockbuster ever"

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:58 am
---------

trixster wrote:
this is not the "funniest blockbuster ever"

Clarification: funniest action blockbuster

Close competition: Jurassic Park, The Incredibles, Men in Black

Disagree on that?

Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:07 am
loyalfromlondon

die hard is funnier. raiders is funnier. terminator 2 is funnier. jaws is funnier.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 180 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next