Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Calvary 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Calvary 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Calvary
Calvary

Quote:
Calvary is a 2014 Irish black comedy drama film written and directed by John Michael McDonagh. Calvary stars Brendan Gleeson, Chris O'Dowd, Kelly Reilly, Aidan Gillen, Dylan Moran and Isaach de Bankolé. The film began production in September 2012 and was released in April 2014 in Ireland and the United Kingdom and is expected to be released in August 2014 in the United States. The film was screened at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival and is scheduled to be shown at the 64th Berlin International Film Festival.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:05 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Sensational. Exploring themes of modern day cynicism and stereotyping towards the Church, Calvary follows a holy man in a small village in Sligo. This hilarious and poignant film had me gripped, as it is packed with clever ideas and ponderings, with Brendan Gleeson portraying the voice of reason and truth in a neighbourhood of sinners (he himself not being your typical and boring whiter-than-white priest). Gleeson is fantastic with the subtlety of voice that is needed to deliver the film's unique brand of black comedy. The supporting cast is rock solid. Aiden Gillen is a treat as always, and Chris O'Dowd is a welcome addition to the film industry of the past few years.

The cinematography and score are breath taking and encapsulating. The beautiful Irish countryside, and the short, wide, photographic-like shots are a delight to watch. Calvary is the best film of 2014.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Calvary
bleak

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:13 pm
Pure Phase

Father James is a priest in a seaside town in Ireland. Bearded, big, friendly, and a widower with an adult daughter, he came to the priesthood later in life than usual. In the opening scene of the film Calvary, an unseen man on the other side of the confessional partition reveals he plans to avenge his past molestation by a Catholic priest by murdering Father James, an honest and upright representative of a powerful, yet deeply compromised system. He says the murder will transpire next Sunday. Father James knows or at least strongly suspects the identity of the potential murderer, but is hesitant to confront or report him. He instead spends perhaps his final days reflecting on his life and traveling around the town, conversing—or feuding—with its citizens. (The film recalls Lars von Trier's masterpiece Breaking the Waves in the way it transplants a stations-of-the-cross story of profound self-sacrifice to a contemporary environment.) James is played by the magnificent Irish actor Brendan Gleeson, who also headlined writer and director John Michael McDonagh's debut film, the charming and profane crime comedy The Guard. This is a heavier, more cynical and grim film, but Gleeson remains the right man to lead the way. Few can convey salty, world-forged exhaustion with as much authenticity as he, and he also an unusual ability to be at once charming and intimidating, perhaps owing to his outsize physique as contrasted with and complemented by the spirited charge of life in his eyes.

Along with atmospheric and imposing photography of the green hills and stormy beaches of Ireland, he grounds and sustains Calvary even when it threatens to tip into an area both broad and didactic due to the characterization of the rogues' gallery of townspeople, each a potential foe to the noble priest. They are amusing and frightening in their way (one, a doctor, uses a human heart as an ashtray), but there is a sense they were conceived as plot points and symbols. They do not feel alive, unpredictable, and vital the way the protagonist does. A modest flaw in an otherwise satisfying film which boldly wrestles with controversial religious themes, builds to a startling conclusion, and features one of the finest performances of the year.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:26 am
now we know

Did you enjoy it?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:45 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Yes.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:48 am
now we know

Would you see it again if it arrived at your local cinema?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:52 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

It is at my local cinema.

I doubt I will see it again in theatres, but chances are I will buy the Blu-ray and watch it a few more times at home.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:53 am
now we know

I'm a little disappointed actually. I thought you would like it more than your grades suggests.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:31 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Gleeson is very good here. The atmosphere set up here is great and it's a good look at a small community through it's pastor. One of the main problems though is that some of the supporting characters' stories are uninteresting and drive the film down. Refine some of those stories and the film would be very strong.

Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]