Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 A Million Ways to Die in the West 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10

Let's Call It A Bromance

Post A Million Ways to Die in the West

Quote:
A Million Ways to Die in the West is an upcoming 2014 American western comedy film written, produced and directed by Seth MacFarlane, Alec Sulkin, and Wellesley Wild. The film will star MacFarlane himself along with Charlize Theron, Amanda Seyfried, Liam Neeson, Giovanni Ribisi, Sarah Silverman, and Neil Patrick Harris. Produced by Media Rights Capital and distributed by Universal Pictures, the film is scheduled to be released on May 30, 2014.

Wed May 28, 2014 11:04 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: A Million Ways to Die in the West
About on par with Ted for me. A good portion of this actually plays out as a romantic comedy and that aspect is one I really liked a lot. Charlize Theron was so charming and I actually liked Seth Macfarlane in those scenes. Giovanni Ribisi and Sarah Silverman also have their moments. Both Amanda Seyfried and Liam Neeson are wasted and Neil Patrick Harris was OK at first but started getting on my nerves. Most of the random gags just don't work at all. There's an entire extended sequence with Indians near the end of the movie that could have easily been cut and looked expensive - it drags and got no laughs at the screening I was at. There's also a musical number that Macfarlane seems to think is the funniest thing ever that is repeated or referenced frequently. I HATED this scene. The grossout gags are also over the top and hit or miss, and really feel like they belong in a movie different from the Macfarlane/Theron relationship. Quite a few lines and gags are hilarious though and the movie is definitely entertaining as a whole, though overlong. Macfarlane just needs a lot more focus. B-

Wed May 28, 2014 2:28 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Pundit

Sounds hilarious, actually.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed May 28, 2014 3:29 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Parts of it are very funny. It's just very hit-and-miss and goes on too long. I don't expect great WOM.

The best thing about it hands down is Charlize Theron.

Wed May 28, 2014 4:25 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

I had tickets to an advance screening last week but I got called into work. I was excited for this but after reviews I don't really care either way. I will probably wait until Blu-ray.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed May 28, 2014 5:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This review actually sums up my thoughts on the movie pretty perfectly:

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/r ... ms-at-once

Wed May 28, 2014 5:42 pm
Profile YIM
You are waiting for a train

Here's what somebody (Universal?) should have stopped Macfarlane from doing here:

- Casting himself as the lead, because christ does he suck the energy out of this film
- Subsequently giving all of his supporting players not nearly enough to do... in a two hour movie
- Writing a two hour western farce with no real plot
- Writing two drug scenes and a drug trip into a western
- Not giving a shit about any of his characters
- Running every funny bit he comes up with into the ground (ex. the photo joke)
- Making a movie with no message or purpose

I mean seriously. There's not a lot that's even actively terrible in this film. I'm just amazed at how the movie sits on the screen doing and saying nothing. It's total vapor. Make the film a musical, or something. Anything. Even the enjoyable bits in the film (mostly Theron and NPH) work in spite of themselves and not because they're given something good to do. NPH shits in two hats. Theron wears a cage as a dress. This is what the script thinks is funny. And we KNOW what the script finds funny because it won't let us forget it's funny.

Macfarlane was given carte blanche after Ted and he shits the bed with a long mess of a comedy. But hey, the Django cameo works better than it has any right to.

Fri May 30, 2014 3:32 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

It's like you guys have never watched Family Guy.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri May 30, 2014 10:51 am
On autopilot for the summer

I have to say this was not very good, and I loved Ted. The biggest hurdle for me was Seth McFarlane, but he's not bad at all, but he was only doing standup pretty much the whole film. The problem is his humor works best as a foil. You wanted want to watch a 2 hour film of just Brian making Seinfedlian observations in another time period. It's in the same vein of Year One or Her Highness, but it's definitely better than those films. The supporting cast is great but as others have said there's almost a 30 minute stretch of McFarlane on his own that really didn't even belong here. Also there is no plot what soever. There's only so many "I can't shoot" jokes and believe me they do every one. I almost wish McFarlane did more scenes like the fair and really get into the town and characters of the Old West more. The love story is forced, as is the supposed duel which is where the film should have ended. Liam Neeson is in an entirely different movie, and his comedic talents are wasted. Or even follow up on the title and show the many different ways people die in the west (I think pretty much everyone is in the trailers)

But alas in the end this film feels like a passion project for McFarlane. I'm sure when he was on Gilmore Girls he always wished he could star in a Western. But overall the director's followup is light on the laughs, and rest of the characters are not engaging enough.

The best jokes are from the 4 cameos and the NPH. Also did anyone else spot Ewan McGregor?

C- for me.

Spoiler: show
If this film was nearly as fun as the Doc Brown or Django cameos it could have been great

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri May 30, 2014 2:07 pm
College Boy Z

Pretty bad.

Sat May 31, 2014 1:25 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

About 1 chuckle ever 11.6 minutes.

Dear God does Mr. Belding look awful.

C-

Still, I would rather watch something somewhat original over the next Cameron Diaz piece of shit.

Sat May 31, 2014 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Only sporadically funny, and way too long.

Also, Seth MacFarlane is simply not a very good live action actor. It's made even more noticeable whenever he has scenes with the ever magnetic Charlize Theron. C

Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:42 am
Extraordinary

Surprisingly, A Million Ways To Die In The West primarily succeeds as a straight Western Romance movie.

Sure, there are a few truly funny throwaway lines and setups, but the broadest of the comedy, the very comedy this film was sold on, falls flat.

I suppose it's not a very good movie, but Seth MacFarlane is just so dang charming! And then of course, he casts Charlize Theron as his co-star, dresses her up as a mature man's fantasy woman, and don't sparks fly!

The supporting actors are all skilled comedians, excepting Liam Neeson perhaps, and they swing with what little rope they're given.

So, if you can get over the fact you been hornswaggled by the commercials and trailers, and dig this unexpectedly sweet slice of American Western homage fromage, then you might end up like me... enchanted!?

4 out of 5.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:27 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I beg your pardon Bradley, but in the right hands Liam Neeson can be absolutely hilarious.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:47 pm
Extraordinary

Perhaps.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:17 pm
Extraordinary

I actually kinda enjoyed this. It's not great by any means but I found Seth MacFarlane easy on the eyes in this (l o l) Charlize was also really enjoyable.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:11 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie isn't bad as much as it is misguided.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:19 pm
Profile YIM
Grill

I feel like I would have enjoyed this if it wasn't a straight up comedy. I'm a huge American Dad fan and I have always liked Family Guy but I feel MacFarlane missed the mark with this. I like nearly everyone in this movie but none of them wowed me. I wish I had liked it but it was just not good in my opinion.

D

Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:12 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Thanks for going without me.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:29 am
Grill

No problem!

Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:03 am
now we know

A Million Ways to Die in the West is more hit than miss, but while it did make me laugh, I couldn't shake the feeling the that film should have been more than simple shock humour. I loved the truthful, tongue-in-cheek nature on much of the Old West's stereotypical features, and I liked the dirty stuff very much (Sarah Silverman's prostitute yet sex-before-marriage is considered a sin is especially funny). I suppose I just expected more wholesome comedy. The cameos were good: McGregor, Chris Lloyd, Ryan Reynolds and Jamie Foxx, all great and fun.

I actually want to like it more than I actually did, although I must say it did entertain me.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:18 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re:
Algren wrote:

A Million Ways to Die in the West is more hit than miss, but while it did make me laugh, I couldn't shake the feeling the that film should have been more than simple shock humour. I loved the truthful, tongue-in-cheek nature on much of the Old West's stereotypical features, and I liked the dirty stuff very much (Sarah Silverman's prostitute yet sex-before-marriage is considered a sin is especially funny). I suppose I just expected more wholesome comedy. The cameos were good: McGregor, Chris Lloyd, Ryan Reynolds and Jamie Foxx, all great and fun.

I actually want to like it more than I actually did, although I must say it did entertain me.

B

McGregor? What? Where?

Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:24 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Re:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Algren wrote:

B

McGregor? What? Where?
You didn't notice Ewan McGregor as a cowboy that said he didn't know why he laughed (when asked by Seth)?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:30 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Apparently not. I thought Reynolds' cameo was random and it didn't do much to me. Foxx' and Lloyd's cameos were the best moments of the film.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Reynold's cameo was good in that he gets shot. He's a little big headed so it's always nice to see him brought down.

But yeah, Foxx and Lloyd had the best cameos.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next