Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Railway Man 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Railway Man 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Railway Man
The Railway Man

Quote:
The Railway Man is a 2013 British–Australian war film directed by Jonathan Teplitzky. It is an adaptation of the bestselling autobiography of the same name by Eric Lomax, and stars Colin Firth, Nicole Kidman, Hiroyuki Sanada and Jeremy Irvine. It premiered at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival on 6 September 2013.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: The Railway Man
slightly better than the book thief

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:01 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Spoiler alert:
trixster wrote:
not another nazi movie

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:09 pm
loyalfromlondon

no nazis in this one, only japs

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:17 am
Pure Phase

The Railway Man is a decent film based on a profound true story. To be honest, I am convinced the inherent depth of the story compensates for certain shortcomings and structural flaws it exhibits as a piece of cinema. Colin Firth stars as Eric, an introverted railway enthusiast haunted by his time as a Japanese prisoner during the Second World War. Shortly after he seduces and weds a woman he meets during one of his train journeys, his spiritual instability is once again revealed. Concerned for him, his new wife investigates the details of the wartime experience he is reticent to explain himself. The story is further complicated when Eric learns one of his Japanese tormentors is still alive and is in fact the curator at a war museum. His fractured mind cannot help but turn to vengeance. This is, at its core, a rewarding story of post-traumatic reconciliation, and it is hard not to be moved by its implications. Its destination is momentous, and it is heartening to know it is true.

Firth is in fine form and delivers one of his most captivating performances by lacing his usual reserved charm with potent hints of desperation and blind rage, raising the question of how much a decent man can withstand and remain himself. On the other hand, there are definite imperfections in The Railway Man. I am not convinced it 100-percent reconciles its dual interests: grit and grandeur. It is as if it is caught on the precarious line separating a direct, foul, hard, piss-and-shit portrayal of the physical degradation of war from a more sanitized, sentimental story of cinema-friendly youthful daring and the-lad-fought-on national pride. Both are viable, but it is distracting to see the film again and again lean one way then another. Also, the decision to structure the overall picture as a mystery in which the objective truth of the past is only slowly revealed gives it a certain busy and haphazard quality, during its first act in particular when Eric's wife (played well by an underutilized Nicole Kidman, a tremendous pro in regard to portraying romantic despair) drives the action before the film largely disregards her as the character of Eric rightly inherits and propels his own storyline.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:48 am
Extraordinary

I liked this quite a bit, glad I randomly decided to check it out.

Thu May 08, 2014 4:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]