Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 About Alex 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

About Alex 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post About Alex
About Alex

Quote:
'About Alex' is the story of seven college friends who reunite over a three-day weekend, after one of them attempts suicide. When the friends get together to keep an eye on Alex, the weekend that ensues will renew old crushes and resentments, shine light on bad decisions, and ultimately push friendships and relationships to the brink as the group tries to speculate when the simple life of their college years turned so muddy and complex. Sometimes irreverent, sometimes poetic, and always moving, About Alex is a searingly honest look at the changing nature of adult friendship in the Facebook/Twitter generation.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:53 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: About Alex
This was excellent. It feels very natural and true to life, and has an equal balance of hilarious and heartbreaking moments. There was absolutely no way I wasn't going to enjoy this as I LOVE the entire cast (seriously, I applaud the casting director for getting all these people together), but I was really impressed about how a good number of the actors were able to tackle the dramatic segments of the story as they're mostly known for comedy. There isn't a weak link in the cast. Max Greenfield, Jason Ritter, Nate Parker and Aubrey Plaza are excellent, Maggie Grace probably gets the least to do but delivers a sweet, understated performance, and Jane Levy is hilarious and charming. All of these actors have great chemistry with one another and I completely bought the friendship dynamic between all of them. It's a very relatable coming of age film and I hope it gets a good distributor so it can have a proper release. It definitely feels like The Big Chill for a new generation. A-

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:48 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

Post Re: About Alex
This was wonderful. Everyone is in top form here, especially Max Greenfield, who I usually find kind of annoying. It also has a nice social commentary on suicide and friendship. Definitely recommended. I'm surprised the reviews were so mixed.

A-

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:02 pm