Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 The Other Woman (2014) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

The Other Woman (2014) 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Other Woman (2014)
The Other Woman

Quote:
The Other Woman is an upcoming 2014 American romantic comedy film directed by Nick Cassavetes and written by Melissa Stack. The film stars Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, Kate Upton, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Nicki Minaj and Taylor Kinney.

The film will be distributed internationally by 20th Century Fox, a subsidiary of the newly formed 21st Century Fox, after the disbandment of News Corporation.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: The Other Woman (2014)
if nothing else, it will always be remembered as that movie where jaime lannister shits his pants

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:52 pm
You must have big rats

A solid contender for the year's worst film.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

well yeah i see the words "nick cassavetes" up there

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:19 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Harmless fluff, but I enjoyed myself. Leslie Mann in particular was hilarious and Cameron Diaz was solid. The rest of the actors were mediocre-to-terrible though. Still, I had a good time. B-

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:41 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

I like Leslie Mann, but in this film, I wanted to shoot her in the face. In fact, I was rooting for the cheating husband in this one, which is kinda telling.

Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Leslie Mann can't be as annoying as she was in This is 40. There is just no way. I wanted her to get stabbed in the throat in that movie.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:16 am
Profile YIM WWW
Sbil

It is what it is: harmless fluff. Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann and co. all look like they had a good time making the movie and it mostly shows through. C+

Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:18 am
Extraordinary

Disappointing considering the premise/trailer set it out to be fun. In the end there's not much good content in it, and the only thing that works is the chemistry between Mann and Diaz. Tbh the movie should've been more about their relationship. I didn't hate it but it's certainly not as amusing as I wanted it to be.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:05 pm
Wallflower

It's generic, sure, but it was enjoyable. I like chick flicks though :P. Kate Upton is hot. ;).

Could have been better and I'd understand people finding it terrible, but I really don't have high expectations for a movie like this. Just wanted it to entertain.

I give it a 7/10 (B-).

Fri May 02, 2014 11:38 pm
Extraordinary

The Other Woman is a darkly cynical, hilarious black comedy from a strictly gynocentric perspective.

If you're up for that, then the first two-thirds of this movie is the pussy's pj's - - excellent writing with two great comediennes playing it perfect. Unfortunately, the wheels come off almost entirely in the third act as it unnecessarily contorts into a happy ending.

If I had left after the first seventy-five minutes, I'd be grading this up in the stratosphere, but even as she stands, The Other Woman is a perfect...

10 out of 5.

(Nick Cassavetes is building up a surprisingly good track record as a director - - The Notebook remains his best, but The Other Woman is right up there with Alpha Dog and My Sister's Keeper - - I'm looking forward to seeing his next movie Kentucky Rhapsody!)

((I've got to make some time to rewatch Alpha Dog again - - I'd forgotten that cast from 8 years ago - - Amber Heard, Amanda Seyfried, Dominique Swain, Olivia Wilde, Sharon Stone, Bruce Willis, Justin Timberlake, Anton Yelchin, Harry Dean Stanton, Lukas Haas, Ben Foster.))

Also, I just had to QFT the following from up thread...

Dr. Lecter wrote:
A solid contender for the year's worst film.
Dr. Lecter wrote:
I like Leslie Mann, but in this film, I wanted to shoot her in the face. In fact, I was rooting for the cheating husband in this one, which is kinda telling.

...telling indeed!

Sat May 17, 2014 2:49 pm
Forum General

Terribly made but it was perfectly serviceable for an entertaining bad movie. Leslie Mann was hysterical in it.

C

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat May 24, 2014 3:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

They never got the tone of the film right. It wasn't edited very well. But it was enjoyable and fun. And apparently there's an American Gerard Butler?

Oh, and Cameron Diaz either was horribly miscast or should not have been the "lead" in this. She really dragged it down.

C+

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue May 27, 2014 10:44 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Cameron Diaz and Leslie Mann were the only ones in this that seemed like professional actors. Nikolaj, Kate Upton and Nicki Minaj were all horrible.

Tue May 27, 2014 6:10 pm
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

Bradley nailed it (not surprisingly), the first half is a comic force thanks to Diaz and Mann's fabulous performances/energy/chemistry and sharp directing and musical backing, but it really slides late. It has too much stuff iin the 2nd half such like the relationship with Mann's brother, the body pranks on the husband, the plot to bankrupt him, Diaz and Mann slightly falling out and Upton's character, that just doesn't have the time to breathe well enough, and it distracts from Diaz and Mann having fun. It has the feel of a script that was originally completely about Diaz and Mann's friendship with the cheating husband just being a way to get there, but then got doctored late to put in Upton, make it more about the husband/ruining him, put in a romantic plot, etc

Still, it does a lot right and is really funny, and Mann is now 'see every movie she's in' caliber

Thu May 29, 2014 12:47 am
Superman: The Movie

It doesn't have one laugh. I chuckled maybe once or twice at Mann flailing around desperately, but that's all the film has to offer.

And how is it that they gave him stuff to make his hair fall out (which it does), yet it still looks perfect shortly after as if nothing happened?

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Mann has some seriously hysterical things to do in the movie, no matter how bad the actual movie was. Though whether I found it so funny because I was stoned when I saw it or not I'm not totally sure. :P

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

It has its problems, sure, but I liked it. This film singlehandedly made me get over my boner for Kate Upton (which I admit, wasn't that huge anyway -- more of just a semi). She may be great in images, but when you see her on film, she's just quite ugly and not my type at all. Her boobs are too big. I prefer tight girls. Her legs have no shape to them, and she has a flabby stomach. Not to mention her HUGE MOUTH where if she smiles you can see her gums. In fact, Leslie Mann and Cameron Diaz were, although I'm not really into either of them, kind of hotter and sexier than the 20-something, double D'ed bikini model, Kate Upton. It's kind of a turn on to see a woman like Diaz, aged but still fit, with such a lovely body. Mann is also kind of sexy, but less so. And Diaz even has a larger mouth than Upton, but it's such a Medusa-type mouth, it just controls me, then I look at her eyes and I'm under control. Crazy really because I've not thought she was attractive ever since she hit the scene back in the 90s.

Anyway, let's get to the film; it was light, breezy, funny, silly, annoying, genuine, innocent and fun. This film, as weird as it may sound, provided a portal into the female psyche and how it all works. It's just a stupid romantic comedy, sure, but it did show some signs of what it could have been. They could have made it more of a relationship journal, so to speak, with more psychologically engaging content on how men look at life as opposed to how women view it. But they didn't, and it turned out as just a fun flick. Which I was down with.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Last edited by Algren on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:39 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
The Other Woman

It has its problems, sure, but I liked it. This film singlehandedly made me get over my boner for Kate Upton (which I admit, wasn't that huge anyway -- more of just a semi). She may be great in images, but when you see her on film, she's just quite ugly and not my type at all. Her boobs are too big. I prefer tight girls. Her legs have no shape to them, and she has a flabby stomach. Not to mention her HUGE MOUTH where if she smiles you can see her gums. In fact, Olivia Munn and Cameron Diaz were, although I'm not really into either of them, kind of hotter and sexier than the 20-something, double D'ed bikini model, Kate Upton. It's kind of a turn on to see a woman like Diaz, aged but still fit, with such a lovely body. Munn is also kind of sexy, but less so. And Diaz even has a larger mouth than Upton, but it's such a Medusa-type mouth, it just controls me, then I look at her eyes and I'm under control. Crazy really because I've not thought she was attractive ever since she hit the scene back in the 90s.

Olivia Munn, indeed, looks good. Unfortunately, she is not in this movie.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:59 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Re:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Algren wrote:
The Other Woman

It has its problems, sure, but I liked it. This film singlehandedly made me get over my boner for Kate Upton (which I admit, wasn't that huge anyway -- more of just a semi). She may be great in images, but when you see her on film, she's just quite ugly and not my type at all. Her boobs are too big. I prefer tight girls. Her legs have no shape to them, and she has a flabby stomach. Not to mention her HUGE MOUTH where if she smiles you can see her gums. In fact, Olivia Munn and Cameron Diaz were, although I'm not really into either of them, kind of hotter and sexier than the 20-something, double D'ed bikini model, Kate Upton. It's kind of a turn on to see a woman like Diaz, aged but still fit, with such a lovely body. Munn is also kind of sexy, but less so. And Diaz even has a larger mouth than Upton, but it's such a Medusa-type mouth, it just controls me, then I look at her eyes and I'm under control. Crazy really because I've not thought she was attractive ever since she hit the scene back in the 90s.

Olivia Munn, indeed, looks good. Unfortunately, she is not in this movie.
LOL!!!

Yeah, I meant Leslie Mann. Who's Olivia Munn again?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:03 am
Profile WWW
now we know

So this is Olivia Munn. Meh. Kind of plain. I prefer Leslie Mann.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]