Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Good Will Hunting 

What grade would you give this film?
A 62%  62%  [ 13 ]
B 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 21

Good Will Hunting 
College Boy Z

Post Good Will Hunting
Good Will Hunting

Quote:
Good Will Hunting is a 1997 drama film directed by Gus Van Sant and starring Matt Damon, Robin Williams, Ben Affleck, Minnie Driver, and Stellan Skarsgård. Written by Affleck and Damon, and with Damon in the title role, the film follows 20-year old South Boston laborer Will Hunting, a genius who is forced to see a therapist (Williams) and study advanced mathematics with a renowned professor (Skarsgård) in order to avoid jail time. Through his therapy sessions, Will reevaluates his relationships with his best friend (Affleck) and his girlfriend (Driver) while confronting his emotional issues and making decisions about his future.

Good Will Hunting was both a critical and financial success. It grossed over US$225 million during its theatrical run, more than twenty-two times its $10 million budget. It was nominated for nine Academy Awards, winning two: Best Supporting Actor for Williams and Best Original Screenplay for Affleck and Damon.

Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:24 pm
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

Great Movie, everything is top notch...espically the writing. In my top ten of all time.

Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:30 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Based on the story of Indian Math genius S Ramanujan.

Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

A-

Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:38 pm
laneyboy

An absolute masterpiece. Everything from the writing to the acting, especially from Damon and Williams, is flawless. My favorite movie of all time. A+

Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It was ok. I'm not going to cut down on it for being what it was, a movie about natural genius...something I don't really believe in. I like when Affleck told him bs, he'll waste his mind being a janitor. Some good dialogue, some cheesy dialogue. Pleasant to watch once, but nothing that has really forced me to think, or that I liked anough to repeat view. B-

Last edited by dolcevita on Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:25 pm

I've seen better tv movies on Lifetime, I find it horribly overrated.

It is jsut the very defintion of nothing special, and Robin WIlliams won an oscar, as did Affleck and Damon...it boggles the mind

C+

Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:34 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:17 pm
Award Winning Bastard

I have seen this, but haven't typed too much at once today because of my hand. I'll try to get a review up as soon as I can do it.

Sun May 01, 2005 12:00 am
Award Winning Bastard

I was told to post this review, and even though my pain ridden hand prevents me from typing with more than one hand, and I sometimes question if these are even read, it's a small sacrifice to make. I'll try my best to get through this.

Good Will Hunting is a very smartly written movie with heart, starring Matt Damon as Will Hunting, the math genius with a bad attitude, who is sentenced to probation and therapy after his latest of a long list of criminal infractions. Will rebels against the therapy, as most people would, but settles in once Robin Williams becomes his therapist, and they form a very real relationship, as both end up helping the other in their own ways.

Will also finds love along the way, in the form of Minnie Driver, but he's reluctant to pursue it. He's reluctant to pursue his genius. He's reluctant to pursue anything meaningful, as he's been made to feel like he didn't deserve it. He chooses to just hang out with his friends and just go through life without caring, because caring hurts. After he finally breaks down, in what is a very touching scene, he starts realizing that his unfortunate upbringing is not his fault, and begins to pursue happiness for the first time. His transition from angry and bitter to somebody seeking peace and harmony in his life reminded me of somebody else. 8-[

This was a very well written film, and Ben Affleck and Matt Damon are deserving of the recognition they received. All of the acting was very well done, and Robin Williams deserved the Oscar. I'm not a fan of his comedy, as he comes off like a blithering idiot to me, who isn't very funny at all, but I have always liked him in dramatic roles, and he was especially good here. Very enjoyable film, and I'm can't say more, but my hand is getting tired.

A-

Sun May 01, 2005 1:16 pm
Sbil

I was told to post this review, and even though my pain ridden hand prevents me from typing with more than one hand, and I sometimes question if these are even read, it's a small sacrifice to make. I'll try my best to get through this.

Good Will Hunting is a very smartly written movie with heart, starring Matt Damon as Will Hunting, the math genius with a bad attitude, who is sentenced to probation and therapy after his latest of a long list of criminal infractions. Will rebels against the therapy, as most people would, but settles in once Robin Williams becomes his therapist, and they form a very real relationship, as both end up helping the other in their own ways.

Will also finds love along the way, in the form of Minnie Driver, but he's reluctant to pursue it. He's reluctant to pursue his genius. He's reluctant to pursue anything meaningful, as he's been made to feel like he didn't deserve it. He chooses to just hang out with his friends and just go through life without caring, because caring hurts. After he finally breaks down, in what is a very touching scene, he starts realizing that his unfortunate upbringing is not his fault, and begins to pursue happiness for the first time. His transition from angry and bitter to somebody seeking peace and harmony in his life reminded me of somebody else. 8-[

This was a very well written film, and Ben Affleck and Matt Damon are deserving of the recognition they received. All of the acting was very well done, and Robin Williams deserved the Oscar. I'm not a fan of his comedy, as he comes off like a blithering idiot to me, who isn't very funny at all, but I have always liked him in dramatic roles, and he was especially good here. Very enjoyable film, and I'm can't say more, but my hand is getting tired.

A-

I read them, heh. Thanks for posting.

Sun May 01, 2005 1:19 pm
Award Winning Bastard

I read them, heh. Thanks for posting.

You're welcome, and thanks for reading. That made it worth posting.

Sun May 01, 2005 1:26 pm
You must have big rats

Probably the most overrrated movie I have ever seen. Why this one is being praised that much is beyond me. Matt Damon is a decent actor, but this is not one of his better roles. I don't know why Robin Williams got an Oscar for this one. He had much better performances in the past (The Fisher King, anyone?). Ben Affleck is not as bad as many say, but he doesn't quite shine either. The story is mostly simply boring and pretentious. The direction is decent, but the dialogues are so incredibly cheesy at times and the movie is mostly predictable.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

D+

Probably the most overrrated movie I have ever seen. Why this one is being praised that much is beyond me. Matt Damon is a decent actor, but this is not one of his better roles. I don't know why Robin Williams got an Oscar for this one. He had much better performances in the past (The Fisher King, anyone?). Ben Affleck is not as bad as many say, but he doesn't quite shine either. The story is mostly simply boring and pretentious. The direction is decent, but the dialogues are so incredibly cheesy at times and the movie is mostly predictable.

You're squeezin my balls here Artur. You're squeezin' my balls....

I personally love the film. It's a very simple story with a lot to say about a lot: love, life, respect, potential, dreams...the type of story I like, with lots of things to ponder. The acting was top notch. Even Afflek seemed to be of significantly superior quality than he is usually. The dialogue bests most Tarrintino material. Anybody who thinks lowly of this movie is a fool. Except Artur, who is of course my bitch to begin with.

A+

Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:12 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Isnt this some movie about some janitor who just scribbles a bunch of math formulas on the board when the kids are away? They actually made a movie about a janitor who knows math?

Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:14 pm
Veteran

Isnt this some movie about some janitor who just scribbles a bunch of math formulas on the board when the kids are away? They actually made a movie about a janitor who knows math?

It is based on a true story. Truth is often stranger than fiction.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:45 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
D+

You're squeezin my balls here Artur. You're squeezin' my balls....

I personally love the film. It's a very simple story with a lot to say about a lot: love, life, respect, potential, dreams...the type of story I like, with lots of things to ponder. The acting was top notch. Even Afflek seemed to be of significantly superior quality than he is usually. The dialogue bests most Tarrintino material. Anybody who thinks lowly of this movie is a fool. Except Artur, who is of course my bitch to begin with.

A+

Aww, if I knew that you love it this much, I'd have given it an F.

Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:46 am
Profile WWW
Some days I'm a super bitch

Definitely one of the best movies of the 1990s. It's a quiet film about finding one's self and teaching others (and I'm not refering to the intellectual parts). Probably benefits from repeat viewings as well.

A

Mon May 01, 2006 12:45 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Well acted and well made for the most part, but ultimately becomes too sappy and heartwarming. Some of the dialogue is great, but others become too cheesy. Damon is pretty good, Williams is great, and even Affleck isn't that bad. Some great scenes, also. A bit predictable, though.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:09 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Just watched it tonight and this movie was amazing. Robin Williams did a phenomenal job as the therapist as did Damon and Affleck in my opinion. I thought the movie was simple and yes very predictable as we all knew that in the end he would go on the right path, but still it was great. I wish it would have been a little longer, and I would have liked to see what the writers had for the rest of his life. Would he marry the girl, would be become rich, how would his relationships with his friends be. But great film, recommend it to everyone. A+

Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Mod Team Leader

"Sure, yes."
"Well I got her numba..how do you like them apples?"

Awesome!!

A+

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:37 am
Profile WWW
life begins now

Awesome, awesome film. The best film of that year and one of the best of the 90's.

A

Last edited by Chris on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:28 am
Profile YIM
Star Trek XI

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Good Will Hunting
Saw it for the first time and I don't know...I just don't get it. I mean, it never resorted to full melodrama, but there was just nothing special about it at all. Everything was just mediocre to okay with the exception of the acting which was good but not incredible.
It just seemed minor.
:huh:

Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:42 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Good Will Hunting
Oh, I forgot to mention that I did appreciate a good deal of van Sant's decisions, although I definitely prefer him in less mainstream.
Hot damn he's always been good with evocative lighting.

Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next