Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lone Survivor 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Lone Survivor 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Lone Survivor
Lone Survivor

Quote:
Lone Survivor is a 2013 American war film written and directed by Peter Berg, and starring Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch, Emile Hirsch, Ben Foster and Eric Bana. It is based on the 2007 nonfiction book of the same name by Marcus Luttrell and Patrick Robinson. Set during the War in Afghanistan, the film dramatizes the failed United States Navy SEALs mission Operation Red Wings, in which four SEAL teammates were tasked to capture or kill Taliban leader Ahmad Shah.

Berg first learned of the book in 2007 while filming Hancock (2008), and he later pursued the film rights by meeting with Luttrell to discuss a film adaptation. After bidding against Warner Bros., Sony Pictures, Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks, Universal Studios won the film rights in August 2007, with Berg attached to write and direct. Berg drew much of his screenplay from Luttrell's book and US Navy documents, as well as autopsy and incident reports related to the mission. Production was put on hold as Berg could not get support or funding for the project until after directing Battleship (2012) for Universal. Principal photography for Lone Survivor began in October 2012, and concluded after 42 days; filming took place on location in New Mexico. In addition, the main actors had three weeks of military training beforehand to prepare for the physical demands of their roles.

Lone Survivor was screened at the AFI Film Festival on November 12, 2013. On December 3, 2013, the film held its red carpet premiere at the Ziegfeld Theatre, where it received a standing ovation. The film opened in limited release in the United States on December 27, 2013; it will have a general release in North America on January 10, 2014. Critics were generally positive about Berg's direction, as well as the acting, story, visuals and battle sequences, while other reviewers derided the film for focusing more on its action scenes than on characterization.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Lone Survivor
It's no Black Hawk Down/Saving Private Ryan like some reviews suggest, but it's a pretty damn solid war drama. Much better than Act of Valor and I would even say I liked it a bit more than the highly controversial Zero Dark Thirty from last year aswell.

Peter Berg is really at the top of his game here.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:50 pm
now we know

Apart from the first 20 minutes and the last 10 minutes (yes, I'm talking about the soppy real-life army photo slideshow), it was a straight-up actioner, and not a bad one either. But the film didn't move me in the way that Berg had hoped. I just really find it hard to give a shit about four Americans in a country that they shouldn't be in getting shot to shit. But as an actioner, it's good. But all the faux sentimental crap is a bit much.

Wahlberg is fine. Foster is great. Hirsch is ok. Kitsch is pretty wooden like always. In fact, I think Bana is the best in it, which says a lot. I think it's a great experience in showing just how brutal, unstoppable and unforgiving enemy combatants during war can be, and this perfectly shows the strengths of the Taliban. It also tries to show that not all Afghan's are bad, but it's such a life threatening gesture that it makes no sense. I mean, his people will likely be wiped out for that one good deed. It's war film-making; the beginners class. But I reiterate, the 90 minutes of action bookended by soppy crap is actually quite good. There are two standout scenes; one where a helicopter of soldiers gets taken out, which is pretty awesome, and the other when Foster dies.

Soldiers stationed abroad will love it. Gung-ho Yankees will love it. Widows to dead soldiers will love it. But I can't see the Academy giving a shit about it. It's too blatant. It needed more subtlety.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was surprisingly great, considering I had low expectations. It's easily one of the most intense movies of the year and I was on the edge of my seat throughout. The action sequences are expertly executed, realistic and harrowing. They are some of the best I've seen in a war film since probably Saving Private Ryan. Mark Wahlberg also delivers one of his finest, most moving performances in a very physically challenging role. The supporting cast that surrounds him is uniformly solid, particularly Emile Hirsch, Taylor Kitsch and Ben Foster. The only real issue I had with it was that its message was a bit confused. On the one hand, the battle sequences are horrifying and moments like Hirsch's reaction to what happens to him are very blatantly anti-war. It makes you realize that these men are essentially fighting for nothing, which I think they all come to realize at one point or another. But then you have scenes like Ben Foster shooting and saying one-liners clearly conceived by the writers as 'badass' and Mark Wahlberg stabbing someone, etc. that definitely feel as if the military is being glorified. It's going to play better than Zero Dark Thirty with the masses because of that but it's definitely a flaw. The ending also pushes a bit too many buttons to make you cry though it's undeniably effective as I was moved by it. Production values are all top-notch from the gorgeous cinematography to the effective score. This is easily Peter Berg's best movie yet, IMO, and certainly worth seeing despite its few flaws. B+/A-

In my opinion the best scene was where the four soldiers are arguing about what to do with the men they captured.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:45 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

thompsoncory wrote:
In my opinion the best scene was where the four soldiers are arguing about what to do with the men they captured.
I semi-agree. That was a good scene.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
It also tries to show that not all Afghan's are bad, but it's such a life threatening gesture that it makes no sense. I mean, his people will likely be wiped out for that one good deed.
I couldn't get over this. If it was a civilian, maybe, and that would be very heroic. But to risk the lives of his neighbors for an American solider was way too farfetched and probably never happened. Shoots the whole "based on a true story" aspect in the foot.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:18 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Re:
Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Muslims capable of spectacular, expectation defying acts of human decency? No, sir!

;)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:28 pm
The Kramer

Yeah getting innocent people killed is brave and courageous. Actually that may be the point of the film ... Good thinking, David.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:31 pm
now we know

David wrote:
Muslims capable of spectacular, expectation defying acts of human decency? No, sir!

;)

Wait until you see it. It's really not human decency at all because he puts his whole village in danger (and many of them get killed) just to save the white man!

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:53 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I just cannot abide Flava'd's prejudice.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:00 am
now we know

Stupid tagline. It should be 'Live to Tell the Tale', not story.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:08 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

yvan eht nioj

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:26 pm
The Kramer

Magnus wrote:
i would never save a white man under any conditions
This. What has saving white people ever gotten anybody? The Native Americans must still regret Thanksgiving.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:46 am
Forum General

Very entertaining, good performances from the cast and wonderful direction.

8/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

Algren wrote:
It also tries to show that not all Afghan's are bad, but it's such a life threatening gesture that it makes no sense. I mean, his people will likely be wiped out for that one good deed.
I couldn't get over this. If it was a civilian, maybe, and that would be very heroic. But to risk the lives of his neighbors for an American solider was way too farfetched and probably never happened. Shoots the whole "based on a true story" aspect in the foot.

That's actually exactly what happened in real life

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Speevy wrote:
Algren wrote:

That's actually exactly what happened in real life
According to him... I think he cut a deal with the Taliban and is using the profits from the book and movie to finance war against America. TRAITOR!

Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:21 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Really great. It reminded me a lot of Captain Phillips, maybe just a bit less good. It has the same intensity.

A- or A.

3- Lone Survivor 8.5/10
4- Captain America 8.0/10
5- 300: 8.0/10

Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:52 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

A gripping white-knuckler not afraid to show the grim, visceral reality of war, although as one might expect, it's fairly "Hollywood-ized" despite being a true story. A strong effort from writer/director Peter Berg, though. A strong lead performance from Mark Wahlberg, and the other actors are solid as well. B+

Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:55 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
It also tries to show that not all Afghan's are bad, but it's such a life threatening gesture that it makes no sense.

Well as one of the "baddies" say to Wahlberg, he views him as an invader, which is pretty close to the truth. So it's not like the film is portraying the "bad" Afghans as evil men. As for the fact that they kill other Afghans.... well that's pretty much the way of real muslims who want to apply the law of Allah.

3- Lone Survivor 8.5/10
4- Captain America 8.0/10
5- 300: 8.0/10

Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

THE LONE SURVIVOR

I enjoyed the film but originally I was quite bothered with it because I just thought how the whole thing could have been avoided were it not for Wahlberg's character and his position on the 3 Afghans they ran into. The film paints it like because of his strong position to let them go that it unfortunately leads to the death of his team and a chopper full of seals. It was just outrageous to think about afterward. The whole idea that all those men died because of him really. However, I later read an article where they discussed how they had fictionalized that vote on what to do when in reality it was more unanimous and not as divisive as portrayed in the film. I think that eases my frustration a bit but it's bothersome that they couldn't have just tied those folks up and split and then no one would have died. Oh well. As for the film itself, I thought it portrayed a believable picture of life in Afghanistan for the troops and Afghanis, the cinematography was pretty to view, the gritty violence was executed great and somewhat hard to take at points. The acting was good overall. I think Wahlberg just sometimes for me can't be anybody other than Wahlberg. Just something very ho hum about him. Overall, it was a good film.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:02 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Do they explain why there wasn't an option 3 of just leaving them tied up? That's the one reason why I have no motivation to see it. And the fact that's it's supposedly true, just seems like a stupid plot point to me.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:13 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Thegun wrote:
Do they explain why there wasn't an option 3 of just leaving them tied up? That's the one reason why I have no motivation to see it. And the fact that's it's supposedly true, just seems like a stupid plot point to me.

The previews make it seem like there are two options but this is due to editing. In the film, they present three choices: 1) Shoot them and continue the mission; 2) Free them and abort the mission; and 3) Keep them tied-up and continue the mission. They point out the third option would result in them potentially being eaten or that the prisoners freeze to death. One must remember that nights there would be cold as they are on a mountain around 9,000ft tall so it would be cold even in the warmer months.

It is also controversial that the options were even posed as they were apparently unanimous in picking number two.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Perhaps a 4th option should have been thought about; tie them up/kill them all and abort the mission. They would have likely all lived if they had done that.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Caius wrote:
Thegun wrote:

The previews make it seem like there are two options but this is due to editing. In the film, they present three choices: 1) Shoot them and continue the mission; 2) Free them and abort the mission; and 3) Keep them tied-up and continue the mission. They point out the third option would result in them potentially being eaten or that the prisoners freeze to death. One must remember that nights there would be cold as they are on a mountain around 9,000ft tall so it would be cold even in the warmer months.

It is also controversial that the options were even posed as they were apparently unanimous in picking number two.

I am sorry but even from a military background. Tie them up, light a fire. A scout goes there to check out, comes out. Would have gave them double the time. Im more pissed off at American soliders than that. That would have at least given them double the time to escape

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:52 am
now we know

Thegun, this was based on a true story. So all you're really doing is highlighting the dumbassery of US citizens, not the film-makers.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:59 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next