Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Wolf of Wall Street 

What grade would you give this film?
A 62%  62%  [ 13 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 7 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 21

The Wolf of Wall Street 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Wolf of Wall Street
The Wolf of Wall Street

Quote:
The Wolf of Wall Street is an upcoming biographical black comedy film directed by Martin Scorsese, based on Jordan Belfort's memoir of the same name. The screenplay was written by Terence Winter, and the film stars Leonardo DiCaprio as Belfort, along with other cast members including Jonah Hill and Matthew McConaughey, among others. The Wolf of Wall Street marks the fifth collaboration between Scorsese and DiCaprio, and the second between Scorsese and Winter after Boardwalk Empire.

The film is set to be released on December 25, 2013, and tells the story of a New York stockbroker, played by DiCaprio, who refuses to cooperate in a large securities fraud case involving corruption on Wall Street, the corporate banking world and mob infiltration.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:44 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Wolf of Wall Street
It's fantastic. Despite its colossal three-hour running time the length is never an issue as the film is consistently fascinating and entertaining. It's hilarious and the script is one of the sharpest of the year. Leonardo DiCaprio gives an absolutely incredible performance, as does Jonah Hill. Both deserve Oscar nods. Their characters are so depraved that there are several points where you're left unsure of whether to laugh or cringe. The sprawling supporting cast is also uniformly great - the best are probably Margot Robbie (who impressed me a lot - I figured this role would be somewhat limited but she has a decent amount of screentime), Kyle Chandler, Matthew McConaughey (though he only really has one scene), Cristin Miloti and Rob Reiner. And of course it's confidently directed by Scorsese and has a great soundtrack to boot. One of the best movies of the year. A+

And the move to submit this as a Comedy for awards was smart and accurate by Paramount. I was surprised at how much I was actually laughing. It's very dark humor, but still hilarious.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:20 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

Does Cristin Miloti have a decent sized role in this?

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

movies35 wrote:
Does Cristin Miloti have a decent sized role in this?

She's fairly prominent in the first 45 minutes or so. She plays Jordan's (Leonardo DiCaprio) wife before he meets Margot Robbie's character. I thought their breakup scene was well-done.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:37 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

God Almighty, that was gooooood!

My new #1 of the year.

All you need to know:

Jonah Hill randomly masturbates at a party (and you see his dick or fake dick or whatever)

Leonardo DiCaprio snorts coke out of a hooker's asshole

There is a full frontal of Margot Robbie

There is a scene in which DiCaprio has a candle pulled out of his ass with hot wax poured over him

McConaughey's scene is brief, but he KILLS it.

There is so so so much fucking in this film...and even more drugs. Imagine Wall Street by the way of American Psycho (but withour murder), 99 Francs and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:06 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Dr. Lecter wrote:

There is a full frontal of Margot Robbie.

You had me at hello.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Dr. Lecter wrote:
God Almighty, that was gooooood!

My new #1 of the year.

All you need to know:

Jonah Hill randomly masturbates at a party (and you see his dick or fake dick or whatever)

Leonardo DiCaprio snorts coke out of a hooker's asshole

There is a scene in which DiCaprio has a candle pulled out of his ass with hot wax poured over him

McConaughey's scene is brief, but he KILLS it.

There is so so so much fucking in this film...and even more drugs. Imagine Wall Street by the way of American Psycho (but withour murder), 99 Francs and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

:hahaha: fucking awesome

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:38 am
Sbil

All the indications are that this barely escaped with an R rating. I'm going to be in L.A. seeing my 85+ year old grandparents for Christmas and they want to see this. Talk about awkward. I'm dying to see it, of course, but I cannot let that happen.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:23 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

The closeted fag jmovies continues to feign heterosexuality. Adorable. What a queen.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:44 pm
Pure Phase

Would if I could, baby. Would if I could.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:48 pm
You must have big rats

There's plenty of naked Robbie. Also, DiCaprio and Hill double-team a girl.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:28 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

The Quaaludes scene with DiCaprio and Hill has 'instant classic' written all over it. I'm kind of annoyed a lot of the reviews in the major trades have been spoiling what happens.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:36 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

Any film that within its first two minutes features a thong-clad Margot Robbie, DiCaprio snorting blow out if a chick's asshole and DiCaprio driving a Ferrari while getting a blow job from Margot Robbie IS an instant classic.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I feel bad for unsuspecting adult moviegoers who go see this. I sense walk-outs ;). I doubt mainstream audiences embrace this film at all from the sounds of it. College kids will probably love it though.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:06 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

Magnus wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Jonah Hill masturbates at a party and you see his dick.

:noway:

I WANTS IT

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:11 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

These RT reviews made me chuckle:

Quote:
He's not really a wolf - he's more like a hyena, a scavenger, a bottom-feeder. Why would you want to know his story?

Quote:
In reality, this guy would be in jail stripes before you can say, "Martha Stewart."

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:15 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Actually, I don't think that second lady even knows that it's based on a book of this guys life...

http://variagate.com/wolfwall.htm?RT

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:24 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

A question about the scene where the FBI barged into Jordan's mansion. How did the FBI find the scribbled letter? Was it Donnie who betrayed Jordan since we never really got to see him get arrested by the cops yet we see a montage of the co-conspirators being shackled.?

Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:36 pm
Extraordinary

THE WOLF OF WALL STREET

I don't think this is one of Scorcese's best films. I certainly found some parts of it entertaining and funny. DiCaprio was at the top of his game delivering a memorable performance. I wish McConaughey had more to do unfortunately his role was quite minor though it was very good. The female roles were unmemorable. As far the story, I thought it was good albeit an overly long one. The film clocks in almost at 3 hours and I think this could have been trimmed some more. I had listened to a vlog review of this and the reviewer questioned how this film got an R and I question that too. There was just an inordinate abundance of swear words/drug use and absolute nude females all over the film AND a partially hard cock to boot. I'm just thinking of Philomena and it's R and just shaking my head over and over again. The R for the cut of this film was generous in my view. Overall, I found the film to be okay but nothing great. Not something I'll recall in the next few years except for maybe DiCaprio's performance.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:09 pm
Pure Phase

There may very well be a 110-minute gem within the trio of hours which is The Wolf of Wall Street, an often hilarious and pulse-pounding film with a predictable overall point to convey and curious ideas regarding content and length. Based on a true story, the film stars Leonardo DiCaprio as Jordan Belfort, an up-and-coming Wall Street player who runs headfirst into the late-'80s crash and then, through desperation and inspiration, forges a new and not-so-legal path, generating enormous wealth by committing investment fraud with potent showmanship.

Directed with another form of potent showmanship by the legendary Martin Scorsese (see how the camera glides above, below, and through the chaos of the trading floors! see sex, drugs, more sex, and another round of drugs lit to perfection and perhaps even in glorious slow motion!), the film tries to condemn the modern capitalist urge while also recognizing the excitement and glamor of it when indulged to an extreme degree. And this is an interesting gambit, one perhaps more intriguing than a grim, straightforward repudiation in the vein of, say, Margin Call or the television film Too Big to Fail, although I guarantee a significant portion of the movie-going population will leave Scorsese's new film overcharged and enamored of the glitz-and-blitzed excess on display rather than frustrated and scared by it, which I presume is the director's imagined intent, one complicated, or even undermined, by his aesthetic and editorial choices.

DiCaprio commits himself 100 percent to a despicable character and delivers his most volatile and most amusing performance ever. I would not say it is his best, but there is pleasure in observing the actor, so careful and serious and thoughtful in general, play a hypnotic scene straight out of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas in which his character tries (and fails) to move and communicate while out-of-his-mind high. He delivers his speeches to the traders in his employ with a level of ferocious energy which could leave fire-and-brimstone Southern preachers blushing.

The problem with The Wolf of Wall Street, one to which its hero can no doubt relate, is it goes and goes and goes, and it does not know when and where to stop. It is not hard to endure the largely fast-paced, if fairly story free three hours, yet there is a growing sense the film is repeating itself far more than it should, and it becomes tempting to pose the question, "Is this scene here because it is absolutely required, or because the director and his star are themselves under the spell of their subject and just need to go one set piece further, one sexual or narcotized spectacle further, because they can and because it is naughty and fun?" Direct fascination gives way to slightly numbed amusement as the film becomes a lumbering monster, and the first-person presentation sadly denies the audience the chance to spend more time with other individuals in the sphere of the DiCaprio character. The most notable example is an earnest, noble FBI agent played well by Kyle Chandler. His scenes are too few, our perspective on his drive and the pace of his investigation too limited. It is a shame the film does not step away from the decadence and the erotic absurdity, areas all too well explored after 180 minutes, to show the other side of the coin and become a more full-bodied portrait of the greed driven American masters of the universe and the wage earning people who try, with limited success, to regulate and punish them.

B

Last edited by David on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:50 pm
Extraordinary

Uneven and bloated but there are some really great scenes sprinkled in here and I liked the tone a lot of the time.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:21 am
Forum General

I kind of find the sexual content to be a little over hyped, to be honest. Not that I particularly care, but nearly all of the nudity besides a couple pair of breasts and a couple of asses are non-sexual, the penis shot is obviously fake and most of the sex scenes are incredibly short. Then the other scenes like Leo doing drugs out of the chicks ass are really short too. I don't know, maybe I'm just desensitized, but it isn't anything that should have been more than R rated.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:05 am
Profile YIM WWW
Pure Phase

Put the same scenes in an indie film, though, and it is an easy NC-17. Which is what annoys me. This is rated R, but Killer Joe is NC-17?

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:11 am
Extraordinary

wowww Margot Robbie was born in 1990!? :| thought she was in her early 30's.

btw, she was pretty good in the movie. I wouldn't be mad if she got an award nom but she doesn't seem to be getting attention.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next