Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Philomena 

What grade would you give this film?
A 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
B 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
D 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

Philomena 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Philomena
Philomena

Quote:
Philomena is a 2013 British drama film directed by Stephen Frears. It was screened in the main competition section at the 70th Venice International Film Festival where Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope won the award for Best Screenplay. At the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival it was awarded the People's Choice Award Runner-Up prize. The film is based on the book The Lost Child of Philomena Lee by Martin Sixsmith, which tells the true story of Philomena Lee's 50 year long search for her son. The book focuses more, as the title suggests, on the life Michael/Anthony had after his adoption.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: Philomena
A grim subject (Ireland's Magdalene asylums or laundries, Catholic sanctioned institutions which functioned as prisons for females in crisis or declared unchaste) is given thoughtful, sincere, and, however surprising, hopeful consideration in Philomena, a comic drama intimate in scale, but enormous in heart. The film tells the true story which resulted in the popular nonfiction publication The Lost Child of Philomena Lee.

Judi Dench stars as the title character, a charming and devout Irishwoman who, 50 years prior, found herself pregnant after a naive and playful sexual encounter at a carnival. Sent to a convent, the nuns largely separated her from her son after a painful birth, raising him in a separate wing while she endured long and cruel hours in their laundry as a virtual slave to the Church. One day, mother and child were separated forever as he is adopted by a prestigious couple and spirited away to another place, another life. Late in life, despite raising a family of her own and remaining a firm believer in God and Christ, Philomena remains haunted by her lost son and his unknown fate, and she turns to an improbable place for help: Martin, played by Steve Coogan (who also serves as a co-writer), a journalist and political genius adrift in life after losing his comfortable position in the Labor Party amidst a scandal. Together, the duo set out to investigate the practices of the convent where Philomena came of age and, if they can, reunite her with her first child.

Directed with a sure hand and an elegant eye by Stephen Frears, a British veteran whose many credits include Dangerous Liaisons, High Fidelity, and The Queen, this is a gem of film which navigates uncomfortable areas with courage and blends uproarious humor and piercing drama with surprising ease. The comic potential of the story, pairing as it does an Oxford educated, urbane cynic and a steadfast, wage earning lady, is clear, and the film draws amusement from the dynamic without condescending to or otherwise disrespecting either Martin or Philomena. In fact, the combination becomes profound over the course of the film, as if the true answer to not just the specific mystery, but life in general lies in the space separating the two: the one who rages against the world's inequities and probes even to the point of sacrificing his own peace of mind and the other who tries to forgive and achieve an interior calm despite the injustices and tragedies she has endured.

The heart of the film is its pair of lead performances, both of which are majestic and worthy of awards. After half a century in the industry, Dench has nothing left to prove, but she surprises here, turning away from the cold and stately figures in which she specializes to deliver an enchanting performance which calls upon her to exhibit expert comic timing and portray notes of spiritual torment without pushing her character's internal conflict into the realm of overwrought self-pity. And more than ever before, Coogan is able to utilize the acerbic, energetic wit which has served him so well as a comedian for a more restrained, at times even soulful dramatic performance. He also deserves enormous credit for his contributions as a writer, crafting a heartfelt, involving, and swiftly paced screenplay which never loses sight of its characters and themes.

A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:25 pm
Iron Man

This was wonderful. Such a great mix of serious and comedic moments. Stephen Frears' direction is beautiful and intimate. The screenplay is very witty and moving, and it never fails its characters, or the actors portraying them. Dame Judi Dench is stupendous, and so is Steve Coogan. There were a couple of instances where the film didn't ring very true, such as
Spoiler: show
when Philomena apparently knew her son was gay even though she hadn't seen him since he was a child
, but it still made me giggle, so not a big deal. A-

Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:56 pm
Extraordinary

PHILOMENA

This was a funny and touching story. I thought Coogan and Dench were excellent and played off one another well. I liked the contrasting beliefs between them. There were a couple teary moments in the film and I was glad there was a positive ending to her story.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:35 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Really good. It's equally funny and heartbreaking and both Judi Dench and Steve Coogan give great performances. A-

Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:38 am
Profile YIM
Sbil

I liked this film and came away with a solid impression of it but I don't think it's extremely memorable. Judi Dench is terrific and it's pretty heartwarming, but it's also uneven. It should have really great word of mouth with the target audience. B

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:35 pm
Pure Phase

Nary a mention of Steve Coogan's terrific performance. Disregard Libs' post, everyone.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:41 pm
loyalfromlondon

libs is a noted misandrist

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:49 pm
Sbil

David wrote:
Nary a mention of Steve Coogan's terrific performance. Disregard Libs' post, everyone.

He was fine but he just kind of bugs me.

trixster wrote:

Because being a feminist apparently means you have to hate men too. Thanks for educating us.

Last edited by Libs on Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pure Phase

Steve Coogan is a god, Libs. BOW.

loyalfromlondon

Libs wrote:
David wrote:

He was fine but he just kind of bugs me.

trixster wrote:

Because being a feminist apparently means you have to hate men too. Thanks for educating us.

you are welcome

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:52 pm
Extraordinary

An exceptionally well told tale of the evil of religion elevated by the two lead performances.

17 out of 5.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:32 am
Wallflower

Magdalene asylums (also known as laundries) were institutions from the late 1700's to the late 1990's that operated throughout Europe, Australia, and North America, and were used to house “fallen women.” Named after Mary Magdalene, the object of these institutions (a nicer name for the prisons they really were) was to reform women deemed unclean by society's standards. These consisted of prostitutes, women with children out of wedlock, victims of physical and sexual abuse (the men were able to stave off any sort of blame), and even women who were just considered too attractive and must be locked away to protect their moral purity. In these laundries the women were enslaved against their will and forced to labor without pay. They endured physical and mental abuse meant to shame and dehumanize them. The first asylum in Ireland opened in 1765 and the last closed in 1996. During this time it is estimated that at least 30,000 women had been incarcerated.

Philomena,” adapted from the 2009 book “The Lost Child of Philomena Lee” by BBC correspondent Martin Sixsmith, tells the true story of Philomena Lee (Judi Dench), an Irishwoman who decides to find the son she was forced to give up for adoption 50 years earlier. After becoming pregnant at the age of 18, Philomena was disowned by her father and banished to a convent. At the age of three her son, Anthony, was taken from her by the nuns and sold to America for adoption. Philomena was coerced into signing away her parental rights by the Mother Superior and convinced she'd 'burn in the fires of hell' if she ever uttered a word about her 'shameful secret.' Over the years Philomena started a family but remained haunted by the whereabouts of her son and wanting to know if he's had a good life. When she lets her daughter in on the secret she's kept for so many years, her daughter enlists the help of journalist Martin Sixsmith (Steve Coogan) to assist in reuniting mother and son.

The film is directed by Stephen Frears, a British veteran whose eclectic credits include “High Fidelity,” “Dangerous Liaisons,” and the Academy Award nominated “The Queen.” His direction is quietly assured, and he wisely allows his two stars to propel and define the film. The incomparable Judi Dench delivers an endearing performance of heartbreaking subtlety. It's fairly restrained but you can feel the pain she's feeling beneath the surface. Dench never fails to impress, but this is one of my favorite performances of hers, in addition to being one of the best of the year. It's a departure from the steely quality she's brought to the role of M in the James Bond franchise. She's been working in the industry for years but this performance is proof that she is capable of surprising and remaining fresh. Also playing against type is Steve Coogan (“Tropic Thunder,” “Hot Fuzz”), who is best known for comedic roles. Not that his role in this is void of humor. This is just a more serious role for him and it's a welcome departure. He also co-wrote the script. I really enjoyed the odd couple pairing of these two people. She a woman who has managed to keep her faith despite the injustice done to her. He an atheist who can't understand how she can be so ready to forgive. This contrast in opinion makes for some intelligent and humorous exchanges of dialogue between them.

I knew the basic storyline of “Philomena” but didn't know the outcome of the story. I'm glad I didn't as it made the film all the more engrossing. It definitely took some unexpected turns. This is a really beautiful story, however tragic, about the lasting connection a mother has to her child. I really can't imagine what it would be like to have this happen but the movie does a great job of putting you in this situation. I really empathized with Philomena and wanted her to find the answers she was seeking.

Philomena” is, by definition, a crowd-pleaser. A tearjerker that earns your tears in organic fashion, never coming off as manipulative. Despite the heavy themes this really isn't a depressingly dark film. While the story sheds light on a sad subject the film is actually quite funny at times thanks to a witty script. It deftly juggles humor and sorrow; seamlessly transitioning between the two. This is a small film with a big heart and one of the year's finest. This deserves to find an audience.

Grade: A

Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:15 am
The Incredible Hulk

this is just so fucking average. completely inoffensive charming amusing middlebrow shit.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:15 am
Forum General

I saw this over a month ago and I still think about it all the time. Just a completely beautiful, emotional, hysterical, well acted film.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:04 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Inny Binny wrote:
tcompletely inoffensive charming amusing middlebrow shit.

:hahaha:

yeah, checked it out this morning finally and it's pleasant enough. Dench's nomination is fine, the film isn't really Best Picture worthy though. The scene where Coogan finds out what happened to the son was pretty great.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:31 pm
Hold the door!

Very surprised at how much I liked the film. When it started, I figured I was in for just another family drama, but I was amazed at how heartfelt and engrossing this one was. It kept me on the edge of my seat, and I really felt for the characters. Not that it deserved the Oscars it didn't win, but this will likely be a forgotten gem. The acting was good too.

B+

Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:26 pm
now we know

This is a wonderful film. Hilarious and touching, the best combination as always. Judi Dench should have won Best Actress. A performance full of heart, and Steve Coogan was excellent too. He does not get the credit he deserves for his acting ability. This film is even more amazing that this is a true story. Frears directs with aplomb. He knows how to steer this investigative drama towards its perfect confrontational conclusion, then its at-peace epilogue. A truly delightful, faultless film.

A+

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:49 am
Profile WWW
now we know

David wrote:
A grim subject (Ireland's Magdalene asylums or laundries, Catholic sanctioned institutions which functioned as prisons for females in crisis or declared unchaste) is given thoughtful, sincere, and, however surprising, hopeful consideration in Philomena, a comic drama intimate in scale, but enormous in heart. The film tells the true story which resulted in the popular nonfiction publication The Lost Child of Philomena Lee.

Judi Dench stars as the title character, a charming and devout Irishwoman who, 50 years prior, found herself pregnant after a naive and playful sexual encounter at a carnival. Sent to a convent, the nuns largely separated her from her son after a painful birth, raising him in a separate wing while she endured long and cruel hours in their laundry as a virtual slave to the Church. One day, mother and child were separated forever as he is adopted by a prestigious couple and spirited away to another place, another life. Late in life, despite raising a family of her own and remaining a firm believer in God and Christ, Philomena remains haunted by her lost son and his unknown fate, and she turns to an improbable place for help: Martin, played by Steve Coogan (who also serves as a co-writer), a journalist and political genius adrift in life after losing his comfortable position in the Labor Party amidst a scandal. Together, the duo set out to investigate the practices of the convent where Philomena came of age and, if they can, reunite her with her first child.

Directed with a sure hand and an elegant eye by Stephen Frears, a British veteran whose many credits include Dangerous Liaisons, High Fidelity, and The Queen, this is a gem of film which navigates uncomfortable areas with courage and blends uproarious humor and piercing drama with surprising ease. The comic potential of the story, pairing as it does an Oxford educated, urbane cynic and a steadfast, wage earning lady, is clear, and the film draws amusement from the dynamic without condescending to or otherwise disrespecting either Martin or Philomena. In fact, the combination becomes profound over the course of the film, as if the true answer to not just the specific mystery, but life in general lies in the space separating the two: the one who rages against the world's inequities and probes even to the point of sacrificing his own peace of mind and the other who tries to forgive and achieve an interior calm despite the injustices and tragedies she has endured.

The heart of the film is its pair of lead performances, both of which are majestic and worthy of awards. After half a century in the industry, Dench has nothing left to prove, but she surprises here, turning away from the cold and stately figures in which she specializes to deliver an enchanting performance which calls upon her to exhibit expert comic timing and portray notes of spiritual torment without pushing her character's internal conflict into the realm of overwrought self-pity. And more than ever before, Coogan is able to utilize the acerbic, energetic wit which has served him so well as a comedian for a more restrained, at times even soulful dramatic performance. He also deserves enormous credit for his contributions as a writer, crafting a heartfelt, involving, and swiftly paced screenplay which never loses sight of its characters and themes.

This is fucking spot-on. So nicely written. Everything you've written, I just experienced. Thanks for putting this into words.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]