Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Getaway 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

Getaway 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Getaway
Getaway

Quote:
Getaway is an upcoming American action thriller film starring Ethan Hawke, Selena Gomez and Jon Voight. Directed by Courtney Solomon and written by Gregg Maxwell Parker and Sean Finegan, the film will be distributed by Warner Bros., the last film to have Dark Castle Entertainment by Warner Bros. Pictures, before Universal Pictures took over in 2013. Though originally reported to be a remake of the 1972 film The Getaway, the film is actually an original story.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Post Re: Getaway
Managed the impossible task of making car chases boring. Career worst turns from Ethan Hawke and Selena Gomez. D+

Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:50 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

GETAWAY

It's not deserving of a 2%. Come on now, people are just hatin' for the fun of it. The film is an average semi-action film. Lots of wrecked cars, but it's gets old seeing wreck after wreck. There was one pretty cool scene that reminded me of some liveleak videos of reckless drivers capturing their exploits with a dashcam. I enjoyed that scene. The characters were bleh. I thought Gomez was okay but the dialogue in here is pretty wooden. The wife is an afterthought and the ending flat. Just had to get this film out of the way.

Grade - C

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:12 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Well, your review would go in as negative. Thus lowering that 2%

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:18 pm
Pure Phase

Here is a film which lives up (or should I say down?) to its toxic reviews. The concept is simple, conveyed well in the advertising, and could easily have resulted in a sound and satisfying B action movie: in Sofia, Bulgaria, the beautiful wife of Brent, a former pro race car driver played by a sleepily brooding Ethan Hawke, is abducted. Her abductor, a mysterious and sinister voice on the other end of a phone call (provided by Jon Voight, definitely sinister in his Republican old age), demands Brent steal a muscle car and go on a criminal spree, including much public destruction and perhaps leading to a heist. If he ignores a single order, or if he is caught by the hot-in-pursuit Bulgarian police, his wife will not survive the night.

Getaway, directed by Courtney Solomon, whose inauspicious previous features are Dungeons & Dragons and An American Haunting, ranges from a mediocre dud to a downright torturous sit. Its problems are numerous, but I will describe a few. For one, it proves nonstop action can and often is as boring as emptily ponderous, slow-paced art-house pretense. The hero is in his armored, gleaming Ford by the two-minute point, which should give everyone a spot-on idea of the level of character development and steadily mounting tension on hand here. No, this is an action movie, and there is action, action, action, with a side of go-go-go action. Here is the problem: the action is poorly presented, much of it shot with low-end digital cameras (resembling security footage) and edited well beyond the point of clarity. The content of the action sequences also begins to blur together: Brent will see a few police cars are nearby, yell "shit" (never a stronger word in this PG-13 product), and a chase as haphazard as it is loud as it ugly will ensue until each patrol car is upside down, on fire, or otherwise smashed, leaving the policemen inside to either bleed out or live to wonder why no one shot out the tires instead of staging a citywide cop-versus-criminal demolition derby. Believe me, any charge of excitement generated by the sight of a cop car wiping out has evaporated by the tenth, twentieth, thirtieth time we see the almost exact same scenario play out. I give the film a certain amount of credit for favoring practical stunts over computer-generated ones, and there is an electrifying moment in the third act in which Solomon lets a car point-of-view shot play for a minute without a single cut, but, in general, this is a poorly crafted film on the important technical level.

Another flaw of note is the inclusion of a loud teenage sidekick with a bad attitude played by an out-of-her-depth and often annoying Selena Gomez. Worse than her one-note performance, though, is the way the film uses her character to save itself each time it writes itself into a corner. See, she is not just a pouting girl: she is a computer expert, a car expert, an expert in the layout of Sofia, etc. Cue a number of plot points focused on her unleashing a string of high-tech jargon and typing obscure code into a computer. Are you convinced? I, alas, am not.

D

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:08 pm
You must have big rats

I am really kinda surprised by how bad this appaently is. I mean, yes, this was never gonna be a great film, but can it be THAT hard to create at least a little fun B-movie out of this premise?!

(I have asked myself the same question when I saw Marcus Nispel's dull Pathfinder. Indians vs. vikings - how do you fuck THAT up?! *cue William Hurt in AHOV-mode)

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Quite a feat really...to make a film about car chases, explosions, cunning plans, and bank heists so boring that you want to kill yourself just to not be watching it anymore. It just goes on and on and on and on and on and on. Selena Gomez, while she'd be welcomed to wrap her lips around my bell-end, is the worst actress ever, and reading an even worse script, and having joined one of the worst production crews ever, still stands out like a sore thumb. Editor, camera men, cinematographer, director, producers, writers...all need to pack up and start another profession. Just awful cinema.

The "armoured car" is perfectly fine throughout the entire movie (and it gets into some huge scrapes), but in the final five minutes (to give the viewer that epic finale), the car gets wrecked. Bad, bad, bad film-making..not to mention so many other things. Gomez being a computer whizz and a hacker etc., just cringeworthy how anyone can think that's a good script. I'm actually amazed how it got to cinema screens.

It's a mish-mash of closeups (never saw a full body shot of anyone in the movie), CCTV shots, outer-car shots, lens-flared shots, and even more closeups, and that's all within 5 seconds, and that's on repeat for about 1hr and 30mins. The credits were the best part. I could rest my eyes, finally.

F

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:04 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

There are two redeeming qualities to Getaway:

1. That 90 second POV shot at the end is fantastic. It's so good in fact that I'm convinced another competent director must've come in to direct it. There can be no other explanation. It was the only time in the film where I felt any real danger.

Some of the other chases were okay, but most of the time I was just bored.

2. Selena Gomez says "shit" or some sort of variation of it, SO MANY FUCKING TIMES, that it'd make for one hell of a drinking game. She comes about 20 minutes in. Anyone playing would get shitfaced by minute 30. I'd imagine that'd make the film somewhat more enjoyable.

I unfortunately, however, didn't see it shitfaced. I actually almost fell asleep a couple of times.

* (D)

And I know Voight's character is rich, but how much money would it have to take for that guy to take the fall for him at the end? Who are these people just lining up to go to jail?

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:49 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Jmart wrote:
She comes about 20 minutes in.

I wish.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:21 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Hiyoooo!

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:49 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

i missed the last half hour of this, what happens?

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:51 pm
Pure Phase

I do not remember the exact mechanics, but I know the final scene reveals Jon Voight's character is in Los Angeles and hired goons were orchestrating the action in Bulgaria. The final shot is Voight closing his laptop and leaving a private room at a glamorous restaurant. Oh, and I believe he reveals he was partly motivated by his admiration for the main character's driving ability. He is sad he never realized his full potential in NASCAR, so he designed this adventure for him. ;)

Lots of cars crash, too.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:57 pm
now we know

trixster wrote:
i missed the last half hour of this, what happens?

More of the same.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
Getaway

Quite a feat really...to make a film about car chases, explosions, cunning plans, and bank heists so boring that you want to kill yourself just to not be watching it anymore.

It's incredible how someone can fuck it up THAT badly...

Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Re:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Algren wrote:
Getaway

Quite a feat really...to make a film about car chases, explosions, cunning plans, and bank heists so boring that you want to kill yourself just to not be watching it anymore.

It's incredible how someone can fuck it up THAT badly...

Yep. Solomon deserves some kind of recognition. A Razzie seems appropriate.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]