Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Lone Ranger 

What grade would you give this film?
A 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
B 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
C 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

The Lone Ranger 
You must have big rats

Post The Lone Ranger
The Lone Ranger

Quote:
The Lone Ranger is a 2013 American action-adventure western film produced by Walt Disney Pictures and Jerry Bruckheimer Films and directed by Gore Verbinski, based on the radio series of the same name. The film stars Armie Hammer in the title role and Johnny Depp as Tonto. The film marks the first theatrical film featuring the Lone Ranger character in over 32 years. It was released theatrically on July 3, 2013.

Discuss!

Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:13 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Lone Ranger
I enjoyed The Lone Ranger a great deal even as I recognize its various flaws and lapses in judgment. At 150 minutes, it is longer than is required by 25 or even 30 minutes (and a harsher critic who does not admire the film as I do might say 50). There is a fair amount of content which is in no way required, but remains. Consider Helena Bonham Carter as a saloon proprietor and madam with a concealed gun for a leg; a fun character, granted, but a peripheral distraction, the type which crowds the picture as a whole. Consider also a melancholic prologue which finds an aged Tonto living in thirties San Francisco, which is pleasant, including a spectacular rendering of a half constructed Golden Gate Bridge, but extraneous. There are also a few points where the film threatens to crash into the wall while navigating whiplash inducing tonal shifts, including from playful adventure to grim memorial to an ending Native American way of life. The stars are fantastic, though. The on-location photography is atmospheric and sweeping, and one imagines, on a visual level at least, this is how John Ford would have utilized 200-plus million of the Mouse House's dollars. Each action set piece, including a spectacular final train chase set, in an inspired move, to the William Tell Overture, is a spectacle through and through. Much of the action has a practical, sets-and-stunts quality even though I am certain computers contributed to an extensive degree. And even when one can sense the film going down a questionable route, it is clear it is produced with intelligence, love, and style and is a popcorn pleasure in a way most of the summer's other big releases, such as Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel, are not.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:00 am
Pure Phase

The final train chase is the first big-budget action sequence in awhile to truly wow me and fill me with earnest wonder and glee. So good. Not only is it a spectacle, but it is choreographed with such precision and wit. Not just wanton destruction filmed up close.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:03 am
You must have big rats

I had to sign a retarded NDA which forbids me to talk about my opinion of the film until July 20th. LOL

Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:22 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

THE LONE RANGER

I loved the Lone Ranger. I think Armie Hammer and Depp nail their roles. I liked how they presented the film with Tonto and the little boy. I think the female role could have had a prettier face for it. Carter was probably the least necessary person in the film. If anything could have been cut because the film IS a long one then her character and scenes could have been trimmed. I don't know what else could be cut after that since I enjoyed everything else. It's at parts funny, action filled and a bit dramatic at times. The backstory with Tonto is very well done and I also loved how they incorporated the trademark music in the final battle which was also extremely well done. Finally, the villain(s) were excellent. So in conclusion, I just enjoyed it to a T.

Grade - A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:20 am
You must have big rats

Just looked at RT and MetaCritic and saw the critics ripped this film a new one. I'm surprised.

Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:31 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Just looked at RT and MetaCritic and saw the critics ripped this film a new one. I'm surprised.

Yes yes. I think also some of the moviegoing audience may be just tired of seeing Depp do "flashy" roles. It's like always a riff off of Jack Sparrow. Plus, I think another complaint is that it's Pirates but set in the West. Me, I didn't get that at all. I'm not gonna connect a Jack Sparrow performance with a Mad Hatter or Tonto. I don't get that type of thinking but whatever. Each their own.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:37 am
Ocarina of Time

Deep and the Pirates team are doomed with critics

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:38 am
Pure Phase

The negativity of the reviews mystifies me. The film is not perfect, but, in my estimation, it is far more special and well-crafted than most summer tent-pole releases.

Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:52 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I guess now you know how Man Of Steel fans feel.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:10 pm
Extraordinary

B

It has a really good first twenty minutes and an excellent final twenty minutes, but the hundred in between are too slow for the film's good. It has some trouble balancing tonal shifts, but on the whole it's actually really funny.

That $250m is all on screen, by the way. The film is amazing to look at.

Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:32 pm
Pure Phase

It cannot be stressed enough how beautiful this film is. The shot compositions are marvelous, and there is always a potent Old West atmosphere. It is a breath of fresh air in a summer long on fairly ugly or at best blandly flat tent-pole releases.

Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:54 pm
You must have big rats

Chippy wrote:
I guess now you know how Man Of Steel fans feel.

No. Man of Steel got overall decent reviews, The Lone Ranger's are outright very negative.

Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

David wrote:
The final train chase is the first big-budget action sequence in awhile to truly wow me and fill me with earnest wonder and glee. So good. Not only is it a spectacle, but it is choreographed with such precision and wit. Not just wanton destruction filmed up close.

Yeah, that was easily the most fun I've had in a movie theater since TDKR. Verbinski just has a way with insane action sequences like this. And the usage of William Tell Overture is just delightful.

I enjoyed this a lot! Saddened a little that it's going to be remembered as such a big flop.

Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I really enjoyed it and will probably see it again in theaters.

The opening sequence is great, but the final 10-15 minutes are the most fun I've had in theaters since... How to Train Your Dragon. An older lady to my left was also clearly enjoying it clapping anytime Tonto, John or Silver did anything at all during the finale :funny: It's how a final action sequence/finale should be done. Other favorite scenes included Tonto rescuing John at the mine entrance and Silver eating the scorpions (or just appearing in random places). A-.

This is the last time I even bother to visit Rotten Tomatoes or MetaCritic for movie reviews, also.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

When I saw the film I had no idea whatsoever what reviews it was getting. Didn't see a single one beforehand. After the viewing, I checked RT snd MC and I was outright shocked. I guess The Lone Ranger might be one of the films with the biggest discrepancy between WOKJ users' reception and the critics.

Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Plenty wonky and heap good fun.

The Lone Ranger - - the original western super hero, translates quite well to the big screen.

Johnny Depp does his thang and Armand Hammer keeps up pretty dang well.

I suppose it helps if you're fluent in all the more obscure western tropes, cause this mega budget blockbuster is a decidedly b-movie at heart, and squeezes every ounce of prairie dust out of the genre.

The humor is pleasantly off kilter - - for example, that early little scene of the Lone Ranger helping out the little girl on the train.

Plus, I'd like to single out the fact that the FX physics were unusually believable despite some of the absurd complications - - some of the finest film physics ever.

Yeah, it's no miracle of filmmaking, but it's a darn sight better than most of the other horse dung out this summer.

4 out of 5.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:48 pm
now we know

Judging from its box office, I knew Bradley would love it.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:26 am
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

Believe it or not, sometimes Bradley is right on his tastes

2. Rebel Moon
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
10. Blue Beetle

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:34 am
You must have big rats

Algren wrote:
Judging from its box office, I knew Bradley would love it.

To be fair, everyone in this thread so far liked the film. And frnakly, for Bradley, that rating isn't all that high.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:51 am
Profile WWW
now we know

This..
Dr. Lecter wrote:
To be fair, everyone in this thread so far liked the film.

Affected this...

Dr. Lecter wrote:
that rating isn't all that high.

I bet he loved it more than the "4 out of 5" suggests, and I bet he's kicking himself that other KJers are liking it too, because if they had hated it, he would have given it one of his trademark 'perfect' scores.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:49 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Doesn't really deserve such a horrid RT score but at the same time the movie just isn't very good. Hammer and Depp are fine with what they're given but it's not much. Once we get to a pretty entertaining final action sequence it's kinda too late for the movie to be elevated.

The whole telling the story through old Tonto doesn't work at all. It doesn't feel like a 2 and a half hour movie but it could've been tighter.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:58 pm
Ocarina of Time

Disappointing film, I was really expecting the begining of a new franchise, but this movie had me bored for more than an hour

Agree with most of you, the last 15 minutes are the best of it.

For me, the pirates triology directed by Verbinski is far better than this; even Rango, which I liked a lot, looks like a masterpiece compared to The Lone Ranger

Though I'll give it a new chance when it comes out on blu

B-/C+

2. Rebel Moon
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
10. Blue Beetle

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:42 pm
Pure Phase

I love how he says "even Rango" as if Rango were not leagues superior to this any any Pirates film.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:09 am
Ocarina of Time

David wrote:
I love how he says "even Rango" as if Rango were not leagues superior to this any any Pirates film.

LOL, you are right on this one

2. Rebel Moon
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
10. Blue Beetle

Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:34 am