Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Byzantium 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Byzantium 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Byzantium
Byzantium

Quote:
Byzantium is a 2013 British-Irish fantasy thriller film directed by Neil Jordan and starring Saoirse Ronan, Gemma Arterton and Jonny Lee Miller. The story concerns a mother and daughter vampire duo. This is the third foray by Jordan into the world of the undead, following the poorly-received High Spirits in 1988 and his Oscar-nominated Interview with the Vampire, in 1994.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: Byzantium
Almost two decades after creating the, in my opinion, definitive vampire film, Interview with the Vampire, the fantastic Irish director Neil Jordan again casts his eye upon the pale and troubled undead, the charged homosexual longing, teasing, and tension of Interview with the Vampire replaced here by a powerful mother/daughter bond tested and complicated by eternal life. I know people have grown tired of vampires in the aftermath of the Twilight saga and its encircling hysteria, but people should not hesitate to pursue this fresh interpretation of the myth. A proven master of using the space of the frame to create an atmosphere at once erotic, frightening, melancholic, and of a fairytale, Jordan, whose other credits include The Company of Wolves and The Crying Game, is at the top of his game, from his elegant and sad evocation of life in an old-fashioned, misplaced seaside town to the heightened and memorable moments of menace and violence he composes. And by focusing on two females adrift in a supernatural culture defined by and under the control of conservative and cruel men, Jordan's second vampire film blends intriguing sexual and social components with the more expected and potent pleasures, including an ever tightening air of suspense and more than one dramatic beheading. As the mother, hardened by her cruel time as a prostitute among the living and then centuries on the run, Gemma Arterton unleashes her most interesting performance to date, a storm of sexual power, for-the-jugular brutality, and nuanced parental concern, while Saoirse Ronan counters with a refined and understated turn as the gifted and troubled daughter, an observer desperate to find a place in a universe she knows may fear and reject her. The magic they generate alongside Jordan's top-notch contribution behind the camera and a storyline which twists and turns throughout time before coming to a provocative and satisfying conclusion renders this a special film, one of the year's absolute best.

A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:09 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Magnus wrote:
g loving this is the least shocking thing to happen in 2013.

indeed.

only a matter of time before David is caught stalking Saoirse Ronan... or Carey Mulligan.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I am a big fan of Ronan, but not to the point of being blinded. ;) I despised The Host, for instance.

Part of it is her choice in roles and directors: Neil Jordan, Peter Weir, Joe Wright, and next Wes Anderson. These are directorial gods to me.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:52 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Look forward to this.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:02 pm
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

A

really good yo

Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:15 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Glad you dug it. :)

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:21 am
Forum General

I was really loving this for the first hour or so but after that I kind of started to slowly lose interest. I think a big part of that has to do with the love story aspect of it, which I just didn't buy into at all. Still, it features very good performances and is gorgeous to look at. There is a really great 95 minute film in there, but it just feels a bit too bloated for its own good.

7/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:40 am
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

It's a really good story, and also well told, with some great cinematography, and a great, true-to-life performance by Gemma Arterton, but Byzantium is a hard watch. It's so slow and tedious and just too long, and outside of a couple of interesting moments and well designed shots, I get the feeling that I will forget it pretty soon. It reminded me of Anna Karenina in that way. It was somewhat of a chore to watch (although less so than Karenina).

While watching it, I was thinking that this is like a slower, less interesting version of Interview with the Vampire, and when Eleanor was talking with her teacher in the office I actually uttered to myself "interview with a vampire", so then when the film ended I checked Jordan's previous films, and low-and-behold, Interview with the Vampire is there!

Saoirse Ronan moves so slow and speaks without any emotion or conviction that I just wanted to fast-forward her scenes. She's so utterly boring. Despite the good stuff, Byzantium is just too low-key and sleep-inducing, so..

D+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:42 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Ah, too bad.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:45 am
now we know

To quote Vincent Hanna, DON'T WASTE MY MOTHER-FUCKING TIME! ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:49 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
It reminded me of Anna Karenina in that way. It was somewhat of a chore to watch (although less so than Karenina).

This out-of-the-blue comparison is a hilariously low blow. I must have pissed in Algren's oatmeal and forgotten. ;)

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:49 am
now we know

Algren wrote:
It reminded me of Anna Karenina in that way. It was somewhat of a chore to watch (although less so than Karenina).

This out-of-the-blue comparison is a hilariously low blow. I must have pissed in Algren's oatmeal and forgotten. ;)

I am just comparing it based on pace and boredom, nothing else. I, obviously, preferred this.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:52 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I really did love this at first. For a while it was in 9/10 territory. But as it went on I got less and less interested. The story wasn't all that engrossing. It is superbly crafted though. On a technical level it's great. The cinematography is among the finest of the year. Gemma Arterton was great and has never looked more gorgeous. I also really liked Saoirse Ronan.

I'd give it a strong B. There is plenty to admire, but I didn't find it quite as compelling as I would have liked.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:42 pm
Kypade

this is a pretty dope movie. I skimmed this thread before watching it and for a while in the middle I thought it was gonna end up losing steam and thus losing my interest, as it seemed to for some, but it never did. a few lulls, but overall I fuck with it heavy. gorgeous visuals and sound, very strong acting and directing and incredibly satisfying (if a lil obvious) climax puts it much closer to the top than bottom of 2013 films. probably just at or outside my top ten right now, but I have a bunch of promising films still to see, so i dunno how high it'll end up.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:34 pm
Pure Phase

Glad you saw and enjoyed it. :)

Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]