Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Monsters University 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 10 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

Monsters University 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Monsters University
Monsters University

Quote:
Monsters University is an upcoming 2013 American 3D computer-animated comedy film produced by Pixar Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. Dan Scanlon is the director and Kori Rae is the producer. It is the fourteenth film produced by Pixar and the prequel to 2001's Monsters, Inc.

Billy Crystal, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi, and Frank Oz are reprising their roles as Mike Wazowski, James P. Sullivan, Randall Boggs, and Jeff Fungus, respectively. Bonnie Hunt, who played Ms. Flint in the first film, will this time be voicing Mike's grade school teacher, Ms. Karen Graves. John Ratzenberger, who played The Abominable Snowman, will this time be voicing a Monsters, Inc. employee. The film is scheduled to be released on June 21, 2013 in the United States.

Preceding the film will be a short film called The Blue Umbrella, directed by Saschka Unseld.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: Monsters University
The embargo was lifted today, so I can talk.

I must say I was disappointed. I saw it in 2D (though I don't think that mattered much). I saw Monsters Inc. the night before that for the first time, so I could compare the two pretty well.

Monsters University is hilarious and has all the humor that Monsters Inc. had. The chemistry between Sully and Mike is good once again too and the sequel feels natural. However, for all the humor it had to match the first film, it was lacking all of its predecessor's heart (which kinda was to be expected given there was no Boo in the film).

Not to say that it was bad. Certainly not. It was a B-grade film for me (I'd give the first an A-). It was still fun, but there was nothing about it that I felt was special to Pixar. I guess Pixar's biggest problem by now is that they've set the bar too high.

It might be the expectations, but I liked The Croods a little bit more even. I'll be seeing Monsters University again next Monday (this time in 3D), so maybe that sentiment will change. But for now, yeah, disappointed.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:30 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

:-k

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:31 pm
Extraordinary

I'm the biggest Pixar fan out there, have seen all of their films opening weekend (except Cars 2 which I still haven't seen), and I have no interest in seeing this one - - maybe on TV someday.

Pixar needs to stop cashing in on these sequels (esp. weak franchises like this) for their main theatrical releases, and devote their talents and resources to original stories and characters.

Edit:

I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll answer Dr. Lecter's question below, here in an edit. Here are my KJ reviews for Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3. They were okay to watch, but both make for pretty weak sauce after diluting essentially the same story from the original.

I'm all for Pixar adding a direct-to-DVD sequel division to amp up their bottom line - - but their flagship films should remain original masterpieces.

Last edited by Bradley Witherberry on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:09 pm
You must have big rats

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
I'm the biggest Pixar fan out there, have seen all of their films opening weekend (except Cars 2 which I still haven't seen), and I have no interest in seeing this one - - maybe on TV someday.

Pixar needs to stop cashing in on these sequels (esp. weak franchises like this) for their main theatrical releases, and devote their talents and resources to original stories and characters.

What do you think of Toy Story 2 and 3?

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:51 pm
Profile WWW

Sequels should be the exception not the rule.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:00 pm
Ocarina of Time

WRONG, Watching 2 films for the first time back to back sometimes gets undrewhelming reaction!

100% Proved

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:33 pm
You must have big rats

BMP wrote:
WRONG, Watching 2 films for the first time back to back sometimes gets undrewhelming reaction!

100% Proved

I watched Before Sunrise and Before Sunset back-to-back for the first time (when Sunset came out) and liked Sunset a lot more.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

The reviews so far are actually quite representative of what I have thought of the film:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/monsters_university/

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:36 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Oh but I almost forgot the most important thing.

The Blue Umbrella, the short before Monsters University, is amazing. Absolutely AMAZING. Hell, I'd not even hesitate to call it groundbreaking and a surefire frontrunner for the Best Animated Short Oscar. The animation quality in it is astonishing.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:37 pm
Profile WWW
You are waiting for a train

I really liked it. I think the emotional core of the film is lacking the presence of what Boo provided in the first film, but it's very very funny and the third act shocked me with where they took the film and the ensuing message they hammered in. I think it's a win for Pixar and that it's heads and shoulders above Brave and Cars 2.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:24 pm
Extraordinary

Funny and enjoyable, but it feels like a DTV prequel with quality animation. I really liked the last bit with Mike and Sully at the Camp though.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:22 pm
Cream of the Crop

i have to agree with bradley here. i'll probably never see this one, and i have no interest in seeing cars 2 either.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:22 am
Profile ICQ
The Kramer

The first half hour or so is kind of rough, and I was getting really worried there. I knew Pixar wanted to do a college comedy, but surely that wasn't all they were doing. The thing that was bothering me is that we know Mike is not going to become a scarer, but we are still supposed to root for him to overcome his physical stature and do it anyways. It's like rooting for Anakin to not act like a little evil bitch. Thus the problem the prequels. Luckily, once they get to OK the movie picks up and never stops. The jokes here and great, and I'm glad the trailer didn't spoil the best one.
Spoiler: show
Mom listens to death metal :funny:
It is probably funnier than the first, but the lacks some of the heart and original story (Boo). Still a must-watch. A-

1. Wall-E - A+
2. Ratatouille - A+
3. Up - A+
4. The Incredibles - A+
5. Finding Nemo - A+
6. Toy Story 2 - A+
7. Monsters Inc. - A
8. Toy Story 3 - A
9. Toy Story - A
10. A Bug's Life - A
11. Monsters U. - A-
12. Brave - B+
13. Cars - B-
14. Cars 2 - C+

Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:59 pm
You must have big rats

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I'm glad the trailer didn't spoil the best one.
Spoiler: show
Mom listens to death metal :funny:
A-

Actually, I have seen a trailer that shows precisely that moment.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:11 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Good film, but lower-tier for Pixar. More or less what I was expecting.

Finding Nemo - A
Wall-E - A
Toy Story - A
The Incredibles - A
Brave - A-
Up - A-
Monsters, Inc. - A-
Ratatouille - A-
Toy Story 3 - B+
Toy Story 2 - B+
Monsters University - B
A Bug's Life - B
Cars - B-
Cars 2 - C+

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

B-, the college stuff was surprisingly weak, even other tired generic college-themed movies handle it a bit better. however the scenes not related to college were funny, albeit lacking heart like Dr.Lecter mentioned.

by comparison, I gave Monsters Inc an A+.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:52 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Near the lower tier of Pixar movies, but this is bright, colorful and funny. Wish it had as much heart as Monsters, Inc. did. B+

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:24 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

The other day I watched Monsters, Inc. for the first time since it came out and it really is way better than I'd remembered. Wonderfully ambiguous ending, too. I expect no such business from this one.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:16 pm
You must have big rats

Johnny Dollar wrote:
The other day I watched Monsters, Inc. for the first time since it came out and it really is way better than I'd remembered. Wonderfully ambiguous ending, too. I expect no such business from this one.

Remind me, what was ambiguous about the ending?

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Sully shows up in Boo's room to say hello for the first time since they were separated by the destruction of the door. He calls her name and the movie slowly fades to black over his hopeful face. It's not clear how much time will have passed for Boo, so, will she be excited to see him? She's so young--will she even remember him? We don't know, we don't see, and I was shocked and happy it went out that way. Had no memory of that at all.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:24 pm
You must have big rats

Ah, a Sideways-ending (before Sideways).

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

The Monsters Inc. ending gets me every time.

It's really a beautiful scene. Maybe Pixar's best ending (though, TS3 and Ratatouille come close).

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:02 am
Extraordinary

I had a lot of fun with it. Lacking the heart of the first (as I recall -- I haven't seen MONSTERS INC. since its opening weekend), but it's very funny and I loved the bit at the camp. And since I've apparently forgotten that Mike isn't a scarer in the first, I was totally on his side.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:46 am
Forum General

Meh. I'm a huge Pixar fan. I never saw Cars 2 because it looked stupid and only thought Cars was alright but all of the others I have loved. This was incredibly mediocre. I didn't even find it very funny. It was just kind of eh. If you take The Hunger Games, The House Bunny and Legally Blonde and role it up into one movie... you have this. It wasn't terrible but just a very mediocre effort on their part.

6/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:56 pm