Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Truman Show 

What grade would you give this film?
A 79%  79%  [ 27 ]
B 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 34

The Truman Show 
College Boy Z

Post The Truman Show
The Truman Show

Quote:
The Truman Show is a 1998 American satirical comedy-drama film directed by Peter Weir and written by Andrew Niccol. The cast includes Jim Carrey as Truman Burbank, as well as Laura Linney, Noah Emmerich, Ed Harris and Natascha McElhone. The film chronicles the life of a man who is initially unaware that he is living in a constructed reality television show, broadcast 24-hours-a-day to billions of people across the globe. Truman becomes suspicious of his perceived reality and embarks on a quest to discover the truth about his life.

The genesis of The Truman Show was a spec script by Niccol. The original draft was more in tone of a science fiction thriller, with the story set in New York City. Scott Rudin purchased the script, and instantly set the project up at Paramount Pictures. Brian De Palma was in contention to direct before Weir took over, managing to make the film for $60 million against the estimated $80 million budget. Niccol rewrote the script simultaneously as the filmmakers were waiting for Carrey's schedule to open up for filming. The majority of filming took place at Seaside, Florida, a master-planned community located in the Florida Panhandle.

The film was a financial and critical success, and earned numerous nominations at the 71st Academy Awards, 56th Golden Globe Awards, 52nd British Academy Film Awards and The Saturn Awards. The Truman Show has been analyzed as a thesis on Christianity, simulated reality, existentialism and the rise of reality television.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:19 pm
Veteran

This film was quite prophetic in that it pre-dated the reality show craze entertainment is curently experiencing. It's one of my favorites. It's such a shame that both the movie and Jim Carrey missed out on Oscar nominations. Laura Linney also gives an underrated performance. The scenes where she keeps trying to advertise are quite creepy actually. My grade: A-.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

I didn't see this at theaters, but I bought it when it came out, and I just didn't see what the fuss was all about. I was pretty underwhelmed. It's the only time that I've ever watched it, too. Maybe it's worth a second look.

C+

Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:51 pm
Superman: The Movie

I love this movie. It's not my favorite Jim Carrey movie, but this is his best performance hands down.

A/A+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

A really, really good movie. A/A- from me.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:13 pm
Profile YIM
Teh Mexican

i hate this movie, it was boring, I didnt like Jim in this movie

C

Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:18 pm
College Boy Z

Huh. I was expecting a lot of A's. Didn't expect to see C's. :shock:

Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:24 pm
Extraordinary

Jim Carrey, Ed Harris, and Laura Linney give wonderful performances in this film about reality and unreality, fears and desires, and god/human relationships. This movie deals with so many different philosophical ideas, as well as raw emotions. Just watch it and be amazed.

Grade - A

Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:31 pm
I'm Batman

Awesome. If I had more time I'd put more. A

Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:08 pm
Forum General

I never saw this ... maybe I should :???:

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Sbil

Zingy, don't listen to the C's! Ugh...heh.

Um, yeah, I *loved* The Truman Show. This was one of my favorite movies of that particular year (1998?), and it should've gotten more Oscar nominations.

A

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:06 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Zingy, don't listen to the C's! Ugh...heh.

:yikes: You cut me deep, Libs. :cry:

I promise that I will watch it again and re-evaluate it.

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:24 pm
You must have big rats

Splendid movie. Peter Weir's best job so far and it definitely deserved Oscar nominations for Best Picture and Best Actor. What a snub! Carrey has never been better (not until Eternal Sunshine at least), the concept of the story is great and the way it is handled is superb. It is also a little technical masterpiece. Really great flick, I advice everyone to see.

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Pretty fun actually, and the first time I considered Carrey to be a decent actor. I think he used his pepiness perfectly by being set in a contrived 50's landscape. Ultimately a movie about hoe unattainable, and infact how unattractive the nuclear lifestyle is, Trueman show managed to criticize the space without being negative. This was when webcam's where first coming out, and reality tv hadn't hit the market yet, so Weir was really ahead of his times actually.

What made this movie for me was simply the fact that Carrey's character slowly becomes unsure of his own desires. He has the perfect life but isn't happy. He goes exploring, and finds a "rip" in his landscape. I consider the rip to be a metaphor. Technically it was a discovery of the tv show, but in reality it was an internal exploration and the feeling something was missing in life. He'd give up his perfect days and perfect family for s little bit of the suffering and doubt that comes with trying to branch out beyond your initial ideals. He was growing, it was almost a coming-of-age story.

The end loses sight of that a bit and borders on a comic adventure, but all in all Trueman Show is a strong movie.

B+

Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:12 am
---------

I haven't seen this movie in such a long time... It was one of the first dramas I kinda understood. I really liked it then, and I need to rewatch it.

A-
90.7%
#28 on my all-time list

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:05 pm
MISSING IN ACTION

A solid movie! I loved the world they created, and how everything was a basic stereo type on life. I loved the interwined love stories in it, and Laura Winney's (Sp) performance was terrific. But Jim Carrey was absolutely amazing the film. The end actually touched me, and its just a fun fun fun movie. But it has that serious tone as well. I loved the film. Top 15 on my all time list.

A+

Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

And its one of the less movies the made me cry a bit (at the end) :cry:

Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:25 am
Lord of filth

Truman lost me for a second at the end when he starts crying... in fact the end has a lot to be desired. Not that Truman wouldn't cry, just that it was overdone by Harris and Carrey.

There is a lot of material they could have mined out of Truman Show if they didn't try to make it so sugary. What if Truman actually did hit his wife? Or hurt someone? How would they intervene? Would the courts respect Truman's right of due process? etc. etc. etc.

Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

I am going to dry to watch this again tonight. (and I only own it on VHS)

Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:28 pm
College Boy Z

Sun May 01, 2005 7:21 pm
Award Winning Bastard

I rented it. :-$

It's about time. [-X I still haven't watched it again, but I have lots of rentals that I need to watch first, and then I will give it another try.

Sun May 01, 2005 8:19 pm
College Boy Z

Loved it. Jim Carrey's best performance from what I've seen. It's not an all-time favorite, but still, great. A-

Sun May 01, 2005 10:50 pm
Sbil

Loved it. Jim Carrey's best performance from what I've seen. It's not an all-time favorite, but still, great. A-

Told you.

What did you say in that original thread? "I would never ever see this movie because it does not interest me."

Pfft. Heh.

Sun May 01, 2005 10:53 pm
College Boy Z

Zingaling wrote:

Told you.

What did you say in that original thread? "I would never ever see this movie because it does not interest me."

Pfft. Heh.

That was so a few months ago, Libs. =;

Sun May 01, 2005 10:57 pm
You must have big rats

Glad you liked it. Now make sure you love L.A. Confidential :razz:

By the way, have you seen Eternal Sunshine?

Sun May 01, 2005 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next